Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Dec 23, 2011
So recently I have stumbled upon a hidden page on their website thanks to the new Food & Wine Festival site.

The page is called, "Meet Busch Gardens" and it features a television commercial in Youtube format and then a few short paragraphs of the park describing itself. I quoted the text:

We are a theme park in every sense of the term … a place where fun comes naturally.

Our theme is classic Europe, like the Parisian streets of France, the hamlets of Scotland and the Oktoberfest celebrations of Germany. In all, we have nine villages centered around six countries for you to explore.

We’ve filled our park with one of the best collections of world class roller coasters, and balanced that with live entertainment for the entire family, kid-friendly rides for youngsters and breathtaking architecture and landscaping for everyone to enjoy. In fact, we have been voted the world’s most beautiful theme park for 23 years and counting.

In addition to the fun, we are a place for learning about nature. We care deeply about conservation and the animals in our care. You can see and learn about Bald Eagles, Clydesdale horses and gray wolves, and we hope that when you visit your appreciation for nature will grow like ours has.

We are a park for kids, packed with classic kidsiderate rides, Sesame Street® characters and places for kids to explore. Where else can they sing with Elmo, hold a lorikeet and ride between mom and dad on a thrilling attraction?

We are nestled near the banks of the James River in Williamsburg, Va., which also is a perfect place for a family vacation. We are surrounded by the Historic Triangle of Colonial Williamsburg, Yorktown and Jamestown, and we’re only an hour away from Virginia Beach. This destination has something for everyone.

I wanted to point out that they claim their theme to be and I do quote, "classic Europe". So obviously, they aren't following the old country theme. However, I wanted to take the time to really explore this phrase. What is classic Europe? Is it one time period or many?

I define classic Europe as various elements throughout Europe's history and even including some things today as classic. So i really don't include everything, but there is a wide range to allow some of the most iconic and classic pieces of Europe's history into the theme.

I know what this means to me and I feel as thought some may disagree with me, but I don't mind that so long as people don't attack me for it. What I want to know is what does it mean to you?

Keep in mind I don't want fighting or arguing, just explain what it means to you and read what others think of it. When the moment is right, we can discuss our feelings and thoughts in a civil manner.

MAZ

Jan 30, 2014
Richmond
To me, 'classic Europe' means anything in Europe that a tourist would visit. Anywhere/thing that the tourist would want a photo of themselves visiting. Something in Europe that has been preserved in a manner that the tourist is experiencing something genuine and is a real part of history. It is my opinion that BGW does a fantastic job of re-creating classic European experiences. (Big Ben, Pompeii, Loch ness, Davinci, etc..)

Nicole

Administrator
Jul 22, 2013
Arlington, VA
So I am going to be the annoying one here. I don't think "classic Europe" really means anything. It is the kind of marketing phrase that seems to say something, until you examine it more closely. Then you realize it is just fluff; "full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." It is just a pretty way of saying "we have Europy stuff."

Dec 23, 2011
Nic, I don't find that annoying. I actually expected someone to say something along those lines. I think that goes in line with what I believe and with what Mazakman said.

It doesn't really mean anything in specific other than things that blatantly display Europe. I think we said it in a more classy way :p But essentially, I think it comes down to what European icons they have.

Dec 23, 2011
I said it goes in line with what we had said. I am certain you did not mean to say what we did, but it supports our beliefs.

I understood your opinion as, it means that they have things about Europe not necessarily designated to a time period or anything specific like that.

My opinion was that it means that they showcase major things about Europe that don't stick to a time period, yet define Europe and it's history.

Please go ahead and correct me if I am wrong, I'd like to fully understand your opinion as much as possible.

Applesauce

未来の月
May 22, 2010
Virginia Beach
It might be my art background, but to me Classic Europe means anything that came before the 1900s. (to get it down more about the 19-teens/twenties) As most art historians classify anything that came before Dadaism as classic art, and anything that came after the start of Dadaism is modern art. (Although some go as far back as the mid 19th century for the start of modern art. But, it's all up for interpretation.) So I feel classic Europe and Modern Europe would be similar.

So that's about how I would consider it. Though over all I'm with Nic, it's a just a phrase for marketing purposes.

Reactions: Zachary and Nicole

Nicole

Administrator
Jul 22, 2013
Arlington, VA
Please stop interpreting my posts. I actually totally disagree with the characterization of "classic" being equated to "touristy."

I said what I mean. "Classic Europe" to me is an empty phrase.

And for the record I found your comment about my post being less "classy" remarkably insulting and fairly ironic given your opening request that we remain civil.

Dec 23, 2011
Nic, I am only trying to understand what you were saying. Thank you for clarifying, "classic Europe" as an empty phrase. I did not find that clear in your previous posts.

I was not trying to insult you. It was a lighthearted joke that was not meant to characterize your style of posting or yourself. If you took it offensively, I do apologize. I am remaining civil and I refuse to argue about it. I am only explaining the purpose behind my comment. I would like you to please privately message me if you have any further concerns.

Apr 9, 2013
I'll throw in.

I don't understand what defines "Classic Europe." As pointed out above, it seems pretty empty and redundant; if you were to remove the word completely from their marketing spiel, it would have no effect.

As per usual, they're trying to appeal to the faux-nostalgic BS Middle America typically loves to fall for, but rarely attempts to interpret. What defines "Classic Europe"? The Plague? The Spanish Inquisition? Vikings? Kraftwerk?

It's just a device to stand out and say something while saying absolutely nothing at all - which marketing people love (I can sense from here the high-fives given after this piece was put together). It's like when people prologue a statement with "which may or may not have happened." Way to cover all your bases.

Dec 23, 2011
Fair enough, but then please explain why people praised the old marketing materials that had similar text? I feel like this is just a double standard in play. Why should we at all trust anything old or new with that logic? Marketing's job is to fluff things up anyway.

Shane

ParkFans Founder
Silver Donor
Jun 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
parkfans.net
PartyRocker, please stop. There is no need for you to respond to every single post. Please stop trying to "interpret" what other users are saying and take it at face value for exactly what they said. So you don't have to interpret this post, please, let it go.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad