Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Feb 15, 2013
I thought of another question to ask to help my group of students get ready for their BGW trip in a couple of months. In the past we have went to Kings Dominion and they have boxes to store bags and other items during the ride. I am pretty sure that Busch Gardens does not do this for their rides, but I wanted to know how strict they were about being able to hold things like drawstring bags while you ride? I'm not sure every walking group of kids we will be taking will have a non-rider walking with them to hold their stuff.

Thanks for any help!

The park tries to uphold and be stern about their bag policy. They are not supposed to allow any loose articles to be left in the station, flip flops are to be taken off and placed on your seat for you to sit on securely. In fact, ride operators can get in trouble by their supervisors if they allow loose articles to be left in the station. They definitely will get in big trouble if someone was to steal someone else's stuff and please keep in mind ride ops are there to operate a dangerous machine and ensure your safety not babysit your bag on the side of the station. With that said, $1 one time lockers are available at every major ride. All day lockers are available at the front of the park. If they are planning on just going ride to ride to ride, then I suggest getting the all day locker while keeping their phones in their pockets for emergencies and they should be fine.

Reactions: deborh and dxwwf3
Your not gonna like this answer

you either have to leave the stuff on the platform or get a locker.I think the one time lockers outside rides are 1.00, and you'll only be able to hold the bags on some flat rides and water rides.

Reactions: dxwwf3 and Zachary
I don't mind it being like this at all. I do want to prepare them though. Maybe if a walking group consolidates their stuff into one bag and then use the locker for one bag it will be easier. As long as nobody says anything about me holding my hat on everything I'll be fine haha.

Reactions: Party Rocker
Party Rocker said:
The park tries to uphold and be stern about their bag policy. They are not supposed to allow any loose articles to be left in the station, flip flops are to be taken off and placed on your seat for you to sit on securely. In fact, ride operators can get in trouble by their supervisors if they allow loose articles to be left in the station. They definitely will get in big trouble if someone was to steal someone else's stuff and please keep in mind ride ops are there to operate a dangerous machine and ensure your safety not babysit your bag on the side of the station. With that said, $1 one time lockers are available at every major ride. All day lockers are available at the front of the park. If they are planning on just going ride to ride to ride, then I suggest getting the all day locker while keeping their phones in their pockets for emergencies and they should be fine.
I agree with all of this except the phones. Alpengeist and Griffon have amazing potential to yank phones out of pockets. I usually try to keep my phone in a pocket that has some way to stay shut. (velcro, button, etc.)

I've seen plenty of phones vanish on Apollo as well. Busch rides will take phones out of loose pockets.

Wear cargo pants or pants with button/zipper pockets = problem solved. I've brought my phone/camera/wallet on all the Busch coasters (W-burg, Tampa, and Sea World) and never had a problem. My phone did slip out of my pocket on BGT's bumper cars and skyride though.

As for bags and such...
Alpengeist is incredibly lenient with bags on the platform. Some of my friends leave their backpacks on the platform all the time.
Apollo/Griffon are hit-miss. You generally can't leave backpacks/drawstrings on the platform, but smaller bags are fine.
Loch Ness/Verbolten are the most strict when it comes to bags. Leave them in a locker or with a non-rider.

Flat rides should have a place to set your stuff on the side (either cubbies or just leave them on the platform). Mach Tower is the only flat ride with restrictions and even they're pretty lenient.

I'm sure you don't wanna carry wet bags around, so keep them in a locker or with a non-rider for water rides. Setting them on the platform probably isn't a good idea unless you have a waterproof bag.

flip flops are to be taken off and placed on your seat for you to sit on securely
You can't take your shoes, flip flops, sandals, or other footwear off on Verbolten. I learned that the hard way. ;)

- Or you could always just carry the essentials and not have to worry about taking your bags onto the rides :cool:

The point is to stop getting people to leave their crap on the platforms. Yes they may be easy on the rules but there is a reason for the rules. Theft, injury, damage, etc. I think if they had free lockers on the platform, that would be more acceptable so as to prevent the three most obvious problems stated previously.

I hate when people ignorantly disobey the loose article rule. You can get the ride operator in trouble as well as end up with a missing or damaged article or injury another person by having them trip over/fall and hurt themselves because of your loose article.

Also be aware that if you leave your bag alone somewhere, security can be called and the bag can be removed as it can be considered a suspicious item. Also, team members should not be allowing loose articles in line, and if you do get past the first person keep in mind any of the ride operators can get you kicked out of line for having loose articles. Granted, they more than likely will not be this strict, it can happen.

I had a drawstring bag when I went with the my school group a couple years back and they turned me away until I found a spot for my bag, they wouldn't let me wear it while riding either. Also I found out the hard Verbolten likes to take phones also. I felt my phone start to slip out of my pretty tight pockets during Christmas Town. I would suggest cargo pants or something with button up pants like the others above. My only issue with the bags are that I bring a water bottle into the park and that's usually the only item in my bag.

Excellent replies. I have been strongly suggesting cargo shorts for the guys, but most of the shorts that the girls wear on these trips are the athletic type shorts that usually don't have pockets. All of these replies are helpful and I thank you all.

I have a pair of cargo pants that I've modified with extra buttons just for the park. I also keep everything in a bag before putting them in my pants just to be safe. Never need to bring a bag or get a locker.

Reactions: deborh
Pretzel Kaiser said:
I have a pair of cargo pants that I've modified with extra buttons just for the park. I also keep everything in a bag before putting them in my pants just to be safe. Never need to bring a bag or get a locker.

I do the same whenever I spend a day at Islands of Adventure at Universal Orlando. Ziplock bag inside of a cargo pocket is the only way to go for me.

Reactions: Zachary and netdvn
dxwwf3 said:
Excellent replies. I have been strongly suggesting cargo shorts for the guys, but most of the shorts that the girls wear on these trips are the athletic type shorts that usually don't have pockets. All of these replies are helpful and I thank you all.
Girls pockets don't have enough room to hold a phone regardless...

destroyer421 said:
dxwwf3 said:
Girls pockets don't have enough room to hold a phone regardless...

Some of our girls will wear the knee length basketball type shorts sometimes with and sometimes without pockets. With this being a school trip, they still have to be of a certain length to pass the school's dress code on the trip. But they usually carry the drawstring bags on these trips and I can't really think of a better option for them other than to use lockers or have non-riders in their group.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad