Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

Mushroom

Getting aHEAD of myself
Advisory Panel
Feb 12, 2011
I think there is a legitimate discussion to be had about the Paramount master plan map that mwhinva posted in the Safari Stage thread. I am putting this here so as not to derail the aforementioned thread.

paramount_master_plan_kd-jpg.9197

Because Flight of Fear (opened 1996) is shown as an existing attraction, and Volcano is not, this map has to be from either 1996 or 1997. A few attractions listed actually came into a fruition, like Volcano, Drop Zone/Tower, and James Bond. However, the majority of attractions were never built and we can only imagine what they would have been like.

Here are some of the attractions that never were:

Stealth Coaster - What: Vekoma Flying Coaster - Year: 2000 - Where: Old Virginia, Former Old Dominion Line area/current Dinosaurs Alive area

California's Great America opened a Vekoma flying coaster named Stealth in the year 2000, which makes me wonder if plans changed and that ride was originally supposed to go to KD. The ride now operates at Carowinds as Nighthawk.

200' Morgan Coaster - What: Hypercoaster - Year: 2004 - Where: Old Virginia, behind Shenandoah Lumber Co. and White Water Canyon

Though it is a shame this never became a reality, I find the location quite interesting and frankly it gives me hope about future coaster locations. A B&M could fit beautifully in the space.

Go Kart/Mini Golf Complex - Year: 1999-2001 - Where: Current Dominator location

Turns out there really was a plan to build a mini golf course at the park at one point. The karts and golf would have made up a complex behind Nickelodeon Central in the current Dominator location. It is worth noting that the park did open Thunder Raceway Go Karts in Old Virginia in 2006.

Starfleet Academy - What: Star Trek-themed attraction - Year: 2002 - Where - Congo, former Lion Country Safari/Intimidator 305 area

Based on the large, rectangular footprint of this ride, this appears to be a Star Trek-themed dark ride. Given the outer space theming and location beside Flight of Fear, this may have been step in tying Flight of Fear into an outer space-themed area, a bit like Kings Island's X-Base.

Balloon Ride - Location: Grove/Wayne's World area, current Windseeker location

I can't tell much from what is shown, but given the size this seems to be a large flat ride in Windseeker's current location.

Water Rides Expansion Year: 2001 - Location: Behind Rebel Yell, beside WaterWorks.

It is hard to tell what this is about, but it seems like dry park water rides would have been built here, separate from WaterWorks. I would assume this was part of WaterWorks, but there is already a WaterWorks expansion clearly considered a water park expansion. Who knows.

Thanks again mwhinva for finding this. There is some truly fascinating info to be found about the park's history in here!

Last edited by a moderator:
RE: Paramount Master Plan Map & Never-Built Attractions

And what of "James Bond Conversion 1998"? Was this some sort of half-baked plan to re-theme Old Virginia into James Bond land? Some ideas were much better left in the planning stage.

I like the 2 coasters in Old Va. Obviously this is the 'squeeze em' in' mindset that Paramount was famous for, but I think two coasters through the trees in this area is still a win win situation.

Reactions: jornor and wombat96

I believe "James Bond Conversion" refers to converting the Days of Thunder attraction into the James Bond: License To Thrill film in the Action Theater, which really did happen in 1998.

Jonquil said:
And what of "James Bond Conversion 1998"? Was this some sort of half-baked plan to re-theme Old Virginia into James Bond land? Some ideas were much better left in the planning stage.

That was the conversion of the Action Theater from the NASCAR theme for the "Days of Thunder" motion picture simulator to a James Bond movie themed simulator ride. This DID happen in the late 1990's. The James Bond Movie succeeded DOT. After about another 3-4 seasons, a DC comics 3D movie took over that spot. I think it featured Stan Lee's voice in it (DC comics creator).

Reactions: jornor and Jonquil

mwhinva said:
I think it featured Stan Lee's voice in it (DC comics creator).

You are going to make some comic book geeks very angry, mwhinva. :p

Reactions: jornor and netdvn
Stan Lee is Marvel, not DC. Six Flags owns the DC license. He's not the creator of either company either, just one of the writers/artists. I'm 100% certain both companies were founded long before he took office.

Paramount purchased three flying coaster prototypes. Stealth ended up being a failure so Six Flags decided to pick up the remaining two. I believe KI was supposed to get the third one (and they eventually did).

As for the Morgan hypercoaster, CGA was supposed to get a prototype elevator lift coaster. Looks like KD wanted to pick up the concept after it fell through in CA. CGA also planned to build a Citywalk-style venue right outside park entrance at one point too.

I'm really curious about the Starfleet attraction. Shame it never got built. Would've been interesting, although I'm pretty sure it would've been butchered after CF took control.

Well this is how the story for Stealth went. CGA was supposed to get Hyper Sonic XLC. KD was supposed to get a flying coaster. And SFA was supposed to get a mouse. CGA got the mouse. SFA got the flyer. KD got Hyper Sonic XLC.  CGA got a mouse. Paramount had so many ideas to make CGA like Uni but they all fell through sadly.

Reactions: jornor and Russell
Man I want to see this transposed over what the park currently is, by the looks of it all of the lake was supposed to get filled in for Hurricane Reef.

EDIT: I can see it faintly but there's a sketch outlining all the extant attractions at the park. By the looks of it, Blue Ridge Tollway was going to be removed for Nickelodeon expansion along with most of Old Virginia being redone for expansion. By the looks of it this expansion was originally planned at some point around 1993 or 1994, and these expansions were to take place all the way up through the 2000s.

Last edited:
It's interesting that Hanna-Barbera Land was originally planned to have a Forest of Fun transformation rather than KidZville. Obviously, BGW has Sesame Street Forest of Fun now.

Also, it's great to see that they saved space on FOF (from taking up the Intimidator 305 field) by rotating it to be behind Smurf Mountain/Volcano.

Reactions: Mushroom
Also, it's great to see that they saved space on FOF (from taking up the Intimidator 305 field) by rotating it to be behind Smurf Mountain/Volcano.

That and the move of the amphitheater are the two biggest “thank god” changes I can see.

Reactions: Mushroom
The “Virginia roadways and wilderness” description of the proposed update to Old Virginia makes me wonder if @warfelg’s country-themed área concept was actually something on the drawing board at KD.

This map might be even more surreal than the other one in this thread.

(Also, petition to name Volcano’s replacement “Teen Product”.)

It's on the opposite side of the park from this master plan, but Roadways and Wilderness is a perfect name for the current Safari Village themed disaster since you have Backlot/Intimidator 305 (Roadways) and Avalanche/Anaconda/Crypt/FOF(?) (Wilderness).

• Haha
Reactions: b.mac and Zachary
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad