Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Outpost Cafe did indeed open today. And as mentioned above, the decor is incredibly impressive.

It's nice that all entrees are on the dining plan. I tried the Beer & Bacon Sausage and Bahamian Rice Pilaf. And my son tried the Crispy Fried Shrimp and Zesty Petite Potatoes.

The sausage was very good. However just eating the sausage platter at BGW Festhaus last weekend, I might have to give the latter the nod; as even though the sausage here was good (and quite a large serving), having the 3 sausage variety platter from BGW is a bit nicer. The pilaf was also good - especially as it's not a side I would expect to see at an amusement park.

I was not able to try my son's shrimp; as he devoured the entire skewer in no-time-flat. But the potatoes were very well seasoned, and quite tasty - which is likely a side I'll be trying a lot of in the future.

Having all these additional menu options at the park is highly welcome, and is huge improvement over what we had, in terms of Outer Hanks - So big props to Chef Denis and what he was able to accomplish.

The serving layout is also much improved over the chaos that we had in terms of Outer Hanks. -So will be much appreciated on the crowded days of the summer and Haunt.

And back to the restaurant decor... All I can say is that you must go and experience it yourself, as no pictures will ever give justice to the sheer amount of detail that was put into it; where all the while, while eating, I kept thinking how I was at a Disney park, like Animal Kingdom.

So again, take a look at these photos, as well as others soon to be posted online. But you really must check it out yourself! -- Though as a side note, I do worry on the longevity of some of the notes and pictures tacked to the wall, on how long they will last.

IMG_9561.jpeg

IMG_9521.jpeg

IMG_9520.jpeg

IMG_9522.jpeg

IMG_9533.jpeg

IMG_9528.jpeg

Last edited:
Outpost Cafe did indeed open today. And as mentioned above, the decor is incredibly impressive.

It's nice that all entrees are on the dining plan. I tried the Beer & Bacon Sausage and Bahamian Rice Pilaf. And my son tried the Crispy Fried Shrimp and Zesty Petite Potatoes.

The sausage was very good. However just eating the sausage platter at BGW Festhaus last weekend, I might have to give the latter the nod; as even though the sausage here was good (and quite a large serving), having the 3 sausage variety platter from BGW is a bit nicer. The pilaf was also good - especially as it's not a side I would expect to see at an amusement park.

I was not able to try my son's shrimp; as he devoured the entire skewer in no-time-flat. But the potatoes were very well seasoned, and quite tasty - which is likely a side I'll be trying a lot of in the future.

Having all these additional menu options at the park is highly welcome, and is huge improvement over what we had, in terms of Outer Hanks - So big props to Chef Denis and what he was able to accomplish.

The serving layout is also much improved over the chaos that we had in terms of Outer Hanks. -So will be much appreciated on the crowded days of the summer and Haunt.

And back to the restaurant decor... All I can say is that you must go and experience it yourself, as no pictures will ever give justice to the sheer amount of detail that was put into it; where all the while, while eating, I kept thinking how I was at a Disney park, like Animal Kingdom.

So again, take a look at these photos, as well as others soon to be posted online. But you really must check it out yourself! -- Though as a side note, I do worry on the longevity of some of the notes and pictures tacked to the wall, on how long they will last.

View attachment 26822

View attachment 26823

View attachment 26824

View attachment 26825

View attachment 26826

View attachment 26827
On the very last photo, to your left, that’s me!

The prime rib is amazing they seem to do a wonderful job cooking it to a nice medium rare leaving it nice and juicy the horse radish sauce is absolutely amazing and matches the prime rib wonderfully. The potatoes on the other hand need some fine tuning they have nice seasoning but mine tasted a little dry and over cooked.

Attachments

• 20220530_132153.jpg
    20220530_132153.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 26
The prime rib is amazing they seem to do a wonderful job cooking it to a nice medium rare leaving it nice and juicy the horse radish sauce is absolutely amazing and matches the prime rib wonderfully. The potatoes on the other hand need some fine tuning they have nice seasoning but mine tasted a little dry and over cooked.
Being a new restaurant that seems like they did an OUTSTANDING job on their food. I’d give it a week or two for them to iron out any kinks in their system and then they should be good.

Reactions: Mwe BGW
Being a new restaurant that seems like they did an OUTSTANDING job on their food. I’d give it a week or two for them to iron out any kinks in their system and then they should be good.
Oh I have no doubt that it will thar why I said fine tuning not they are bad.

Reactions: Coasternerd
We had the chicken with the potatoes, and the sausage with the rice pilaf on Sunday. Everything was excellent. The chicken was well seasoned and juicy, and I can't believe they're house-making their own sausage. The pilaf is a great way to serve rice at a park without it getting mushy, and the potatoes were light and fluffy. If I had one small quibble, and it doesn't affect me as much because I have the dining plan, it is that the sausage platter looks a bit small for the price. Perhaps two smaller links, splitting the larger link, or even using a smaller oval plate would give it the visual impression of being more substantial.

Ok so I was at Kings Dominion today and tried out Outpost Cafe for the first time today.

All I can say is…
W
O
W

I seriously wasn’t expecting the theming and quality of food this restaurant has. I got the Prime Rib and potatoes, as well as the roll. I was seriously shocked at how good this food was. I knew that it would be pretty good since Grain and Grill was in the same park, but I wasn’t expecting it to be that good. Picture of what I had is included.
For the Prime rib, this was the best prime rib I’ve had, period (not something I usually eat too often).
The potatoes were cooked very well, and seasoned very well.
The Peruvian Fry bread (as mentioned earlier in the thread) was so soft and warm and ahhh I want more!!!!!!!

Attachments

• A971C77E-FCBD-475A-AC5C-48780CE80E47.jpeg
    A971C77E-FCBD-475A-AC5C-48780CE80E47.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 24
Also went to outpost again today. Basically went to the park had outpost, G&G, and rode I305 12 times TT 5 times along with one lap on Dominator, BLSC, Anaconda, Tumbili, and Reptillian and had a few drinks. It was a great afternoon.
It was surprising to see Dominator with such a short wait yesterday

On an unrelated note, KD had signs out when you entered telling you that they were in limited operation and thus some attractions/shops May be closed…
The app was not reflecting that well at all. It said Eiffel Tower and FoF were open when they were not- it also said Racer had both sides open and it didn’t. Both Grizzly and Racer were also on one train ops yesterday/

• Sad
Reactions: Mushroom
It was surprising to see Dominator with such a short wait yesterday

On an unrelated note, KD had signs out when you entered telling you that they were in limited operation and thus some attractions/shops May be closed…
The app was not reflecting that well at all. It said Eiffel Tower and FoF were open when they were not- it also said Racer had both sides open and it didn’t. Both Grizzly and Racer were also on one train ops yesterday/
WAIT GRIZZLY IS OPEN AGAIN!?

Wow! I've got to say that the Peruvian Fried Bread has become incredible.

I've eaten at Outpost Cafe on five separate days now. On the first four visits, everything has been delicious - with the main entree blowing me away each time - except the bread; as the bread had little-to-no taste, and seemed to be just a dried-up lump of dough on most visits.

But trying it again tonight: Wow! What a change; as it now soft, thin, and very flavorful - where I found myself finishing the bread before anything else on my plate.

So given my recent experience, along with @Coasternerd and @Furyous Baco 325 recent remarks too about the bread, I hope the restaurant has perfected the recipe and will keep the same consistency to come.

My second experience of the Bread was sort of round and lumpy, with even a little hole in it, and had a good mixture of textures and fryage, maybe a little salt. The first was patty-shaped, good but a bit boring.

I had the shrimp both visits, the familiar G&G type skewer but dipped as one into batter and fried. Continues the fried batter trend of the bread, but with some funnel cake sweetness. Looks overbreaded but is light, does seem a little mushy when you bite in due to the firmness of the shrimp inside, but no mush is found. First time was noticeably greasy, second was busier day or they're getting better. There isn't any normal seafood sauce or lemon, but I don't think that work as well as it does on a thinner, granular coating like Bubba Gump's or most seaside restaurants. Spicy mayo was good.

Slaw was intense, colorful and bold. Rice pilaf was underwhelming but I finished it.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad