Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Aug 31, 2012
Harrisonburg, VA
Just curious if the "Open Container" policy has always existed at Busch Gardens or I just never paid attention to it when I was younger. It doesn't bother me either way as I will get the occasional beer and walk especially on a super hot day. But every now and then my kids see someone who has a few to many stumbling around the park. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Dec 23, 2011
What do you mean by open container policy? If you mean bringing in bottles or whatever filled with whatever drink, that doesn't actually become too much of a problem. In fact, it is very seldom people sneak in alcohol through their own containers. I will say most recently a 14-year old was found hammered by Mach Tower. The adult with him who was over 21 got charged with aiding to the delinquency of a minor. It was so bad, the kid had to be driven by park ambulance to the first aid station and on the way there, the kid vomited blue puke all over the inside. The park ambulance was immediately taken out of service for cleaning right afterwards.

Personally, I suspect he mixed some strong stuff with the blue raspberry ICEE. But anyways, these kinds of things really do not happen too often. If someone is tipsy in the park, chances are they bought the alcohol in the park, but probably went to multiple stands in a row.

With that said, people have tried to bring in all sorts of alcohol from regular beer to rum and even vodka.

Oh and keep in mind, alcohol is not permitted in Land of the Dragons or Forest of Fun so if you see someone with an adult drink, I think it'd be appropriate to have a team member assist them away from the area.

Dec 23, 2011
Eeeks sorry. No the park does not prohibit it. However, there was a time when you had to stay in the building where you bought your beer. The policy had then changed saying you had to stay in the hamlet your bought your beer. Then it had changed once more to you just have to stay within the park with the beer you bought from the park, with it still being prohibited in the children's hamlets.

Sep 8, 2010
Charlottesville
Yeah I have noticed the policy gradually becoming less strict, which being the resident drunk, is perfectly fine with me. Though I can agree that I have also seen some people who have clearly had way too much to drink. If you're serving alcohol though, there's only so much you can do to limit that. I'm sure the park has a similar policy to that of most restaurants/bars and it's up to the discretion of the employee serving the person whether that guest has had too much already or not.

Nicole

Administrator
Jul 22, 2013
Arlington, VA
I would imagine that any open container policy would be especially hard to enforce in a theme park. Especially during special events, you almost have to carry your drink around.

And I would add that can be hard to determine who is too drunk to be served. People respond to alcohol so differently, it is a very difficult call to make.

Aug 31, 2012
Harrisonburg, VA
Party Rocker said:
Eeeks sorry. No the park does not prohibit it. However, there was a time when you had to stay in the building where you bought your beer. The policy had then changed saying you had to stay in the hamlet your bought your beer. Then it had changed once more to you just have to stay within the park with the beer you bought from the park, with it still being prohibited in the children's hamlets.

I thought that was the case and you couldn't walk around with an "open container" before and had to consume your beer or whatever where you bought it.

College kids where I live walk up and down a road called Port Republic Road doing the weekend party crawl, because that's where a lot of off campus college housing is located. Walking around with there red solo cups and get open container violations here all the time.

I guess since Busch Gardens is private property they are allowed to set there own policy when it comes to this.

The policy is fine by me, good to have a cold beer on a HOT day walking through the park.

Reactions: Ziva
Dec 23, 2011
The law by the Commonwealth of Virginia states alcohol purchased at the park for immediate consumption must stay in the park. Bottled and Sealed alcohol, like the bottles of wine can be taken home. Otherwise, the park sets the limits inside the park, with the exception of rides.

Jun 22, 2013
Tampa, FL
www.wdwtourcompany.com
VACoasterFan said:
I guess since Busch Gardens is private property they are allowed to set there own policy when it comes to this.

This is it. While I don't pretend to know Virginia liquor laws, if they are anything like Pennsylvania's (which I know all to well), then this is the case.

Again basing on my knowledge of PA liquor laws, the rule of thumb is you can't serve a person who is visibly intoxicated. That leaves a lot of room for interpretation naturally.

Mar 30, 2010
I can't remember the exact year but sometime around 2006 to 2008 they lifted the restricted areas quite a bit. Before that you couldn't "bring any alcohol beyond this point" much closer to the place you purchased. I remember coming back to WC the year that changed and getting really excited that I could bring my beer past that sandwich shop.

horsesboy

DarKoaster stalker
Advisory Panel
Silver Donor
Jun 16, 2013
Bill said:
VACoasterFan said:

This is it. While I don't pretend to know Virginia liquor laws, if they are anything like Pennsylvania's (which I know all to well), then this is the case.

Again basing on my knowledge of PA liquor laws, the rule of thumb is you can't serve a person who is visibly intoxicated. That leaves a lot of room for interpretation naturally.

Va liquor law is a little more relaxed as there is no liability on the part of the server and establishment for the acts of a to stop person that they served if that person becomes drunk and does something. But you are required stop service if a person is clearly drunk. But wide range of interpretation as to what constitutes drunk. And as said before if there drunk it's their problem and they are solely responsible for their actions legally. That said BGW has their own policy and procedures that have to be followed but I never work there so I can't elaborate on those.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad