Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
I know, I know, great thread bump Batman!! However, I was playing around with Google Earth and dropped into the street view within the park. I am amazed at how much vegetation has been removed since 2009. And not just stuff for new rides, but trees, shrubs and flower beds along pathways. It can be a bit disheartening to see the loss of so many large trees, especially around the pipeline and in New France. There were also moments of "WOW, I had forgotten all about that!" Since it's from 2009 I had to relive the loss of BBW all over again. It is still a cool walkthrough.

It's good to know I'm not the only one who likes to do this. I like going through Germany and seeing the area before Mach Tower and Verbolten, when Le Catapult and BBW were still there. Also, they used to have a walkway connecting the big ben area to cable cars so you wouldn't have to go into Scotland. That was a nice short cut. Changes in the Wildlife Reserve over the last couple years are crazy, and not in a good way... There is also a very nice walkthrough available in the Festhaus Park, when they used to have concerts there. I agree with the above posts too. It is sad to see some of the trees and flowerbeds gone.

I’m dreading the day they finally update Street View. I love being able to tour the park as it was in the past, with glimpses at so many lost elements of the park, from the Wolf to old New France. It’s so cool seeing the park virtually frozen in time.

I’m dreading the day they finally update Street View. I love being able to tour the park as it was in the past, with glimpses at so many lost elements of the park, from the Wolf to old New France. It’s so cool seeing the park virtually frozen in time.

Not sure if that's a DK reference...

But doesn't Google allow you to see previously available images with the year listed?

Could have sworn that's how I've seen images of my house (and a now cut-down tree by the curb growing up and then dying) from most years in the decade before we bought it...

With Google Earth VR, you can hop into street view photos with VR and it's like you're standing there. it's really neat.

The coasters all have 3D models too, which looks neat in VR. Interestingly Kings Dominion is NOT 3D.

Not sure if that's a DK reference...

But doesn't Google allow you to see previously available images with the year listed?

Could have sworn that's how I've seen images of my house (and a now cut-down tree by the curb growing up and then dying) from most years in the decade before we bought it...

I wasn’t sure if that feature works for Street View or just for the satellite images. I’ve never seen a Street View of BGW other than the 2009 one; I assume the technology was pretty new then. If the feature works for Street View, then awesome!

Reactions: Jonesta6
Google Street View for BGW hasn't been updated since 2009
2020-06-03 (1).png
I suppose it's a nice insight into what the park looked like 11 years ago, especially for someone like me who was pretty young at the time and doesn't remember the park from back then very well (hell, I've kinda forgotten what Festa Italia even looked like without Tempesto)

Last edited:
It's excellent that someone has made a post specifically about but I'm pretty myself and others have known about this for a while. Either way it's really an awesome time capsule. I love walking back through Oktoberfest and seeing what I remember. Even though it's not that old yet I like checking out New France pre InvadR.

Yeah, I honestly had no idea you could see BBW from there. I remember seeing the first lift hill in the queue for Der Autobahn when I was like 5 or smthg, but I always thought it was hidden away enough to not be seen from the path in the very back of Oktoberfest.

Speakin' of seeing stuff from the queue of Der Autobahn, I remember going back in 2011 and seeing the indoor track for Verbolten being built without the building that covers it now. That was pretty neat ^_^

If you have Google Earth VR, you can sort of "walk around" the park, and it's really surreal.

I wouldn't recommend it if it will depress you to not be in the park though. I certainly started to cry.
Is it the same era of the park shown on regular Google Earth? With BBW and all? In that case, I certainly don't blame you, lol.

Reactions: belsaas
^ I'm hoping to get a new VR headset soon, so that's something I will definitely want to try.

Another really cool thing on Google Earth is that you can see Cornered and Circo Sinistro in 3D! You can't go through the buildings or anything, but it's fun to see the outdoor Howl-O-Scream mazes from different angles.

The park is in 3D now including Pantheon.View attachment 26722View attachment 26723
I noticed that a few months ago... that is how long Pantheon has been SBNO. I know Google takes a bit to update each area. After all, they are scanning the entire planet. What I want to know is if they will be doing another street view of the park. I love going back to 2009, but it would be fun to see it updated, plus, you can toggle what dates are shown so it's not like we would be loosing that old view of Big Bad Wolf and October fest.

It's a lot more than just the old Big Bad Wolf and Oktoberfest. The overall look of the park has changed dramatically since that 2009 street view look. Occasionally I'll look back just for nostalgia and go see what Ireland looked like before Finnegan's, Festa before Tempesto, New France before InvadR. All this mixed with the old wooden directional signs with ride logos on them placed in delicately designed flowerbeds. A lot has changed in the last decade. I kinda miss when the park only had 5 coasters.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad