Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Sep 5, 2010
RICHMOND
My parents are going to Florida. They want to visit one of the Universal parks, but aren't sure which. I've never been to either...

Should they go to Universal Studios or Islands of Adventure?

Neither of them are Harry Potter fans, particularly...the father in question is a roller coaster fan.

Need answers sooner rather than later.

I don't know. I'd almost recommend Universal itself. They have the Lucy Museum, Twister, some real nice sit down restaurants, Horror Make-Up Show (My favorite), plenty of non coaster rides (Despicable Me, Simpsons, ET, Disaster), Animal Escapades, Beetlejuice's review and lots of other stuff.

Kind of sucks that Jaws is closed, but there's still a lot to do.

On the other hand... Butterbeer.

Reactions: Owls R A Hoot
I agree with Zachary that if roller coasters are a priority that you should go to IOA with Hulk and Dragon Challenge. Additionally Spiderman and Forbidden Journey are somewhat adventurous but they are the two best rides I've ever experienced thus far. I love the theming of the different areas and the food at Mythos is wonderful. On my last trip we didn't have a good experience at Confisco's restaurant but most people enjoy it. The lobby area, in particular, has amazing theming. Jurassic Park River Adventure gets a lot of criticism from people who think it could be better but it beats any other water-type ride I've been on. The other two water rides, Bluto's Barge's and Ripsaw Falls are great but necessitate your getting soaked, and Ripsaw Falls is hard to get in and out of...think Space Mountain. I'm not a huge fan of The Eighth Voyage of Sinbad and Poseidon's Fury, both show-type attractions.

BUT...I'm playing devil's advocate and Universal is calling to me also. The Monster Horror Makeup Show is terrific. T2-3D is an experience unlike any other with a mixture of live-action and movie footage which will delight Terminator fans. The Simpson's flight simulator is vastly entertaining for those that can stomach it. The new Springfield section of the park just opened and it looks amazing. The Mummy coaster is just awesome with it's unexpected backwards section and smart movie scenes. In that vein, Men In Black is the best shoot-em-up I've ever been on and has different Agent Jay endings based on your performance. Twister gets a lot of criticism, mostly because I think it doesn't have great repeatability but it's fun to do the first time. Oh, and how could I almost forget..Disaster is an attraction akin to the flood part of the Backstage tour at Disney but it got a huge upgrade a few years ago. Now it's hilarious with Christopher Walken doing a star turn as a movie director in the production of a disaster movie.

Ok, I've rambled on long enough and skipped lots of decent attractions (but covered most of the major.) Hopefully it gave you enough information to make a choice. I want to add that the quick service food at the Universal parks is not great. I would recommend eating at a restaurant. And I know your parents only have one day but if they are park commandos and have money like you (Dr. Jay Money), they could consider buying express and doing both parks in one day. I have had no problems doing this on many occasions in the past, depending on the closing times of the parks.

I loved USO, but with Jaws closed and Harry Potter Part II not yet open, I can't recommend it over IOA. Also, H:RRR is an absolute joke.

I agree (again) with Zachary that RRR is a joke---it hurt. I heard that they did something that made it smoother but there was some kind of accident a few days ago and it's shut down for now. But I forgot to mention that there is a brand spanking new Transformers ride at US. It sounds like it's Spiderman-esque in ride configuration.

I loved HRRR, something about the music + a coaster is awesome to me. I also didn't find it any more rough than Volcano at KD.

But if park hopper is a no-go, then definitely IOA.

Do your parents prefer rides or "experiences" (outside of roller-coasters)?

Universal Studios is more focused on themed experiences, and IOA is more focused on rides. (Yes, a very broad generalization, I know.)

Regardless, with all of the construction going on, Universal Studios might be a bit of a waste right now, unless you are really into Transformers.

Aright so...here's the scoop.

My step-father likes roller coasters. My mother can't spin around in a circle once without getting dizzy. They go sight-seeing together all the time. Neither on of them is a movie buff. Certainly not Potter or Transformers or any of that.

For my part, I've advised them to go to Epcot. They will like World Showcase, my mom will be able to handle Test Track and Soarin', step-dad always wanted to be an astronaut and would probably enjoy Mission: Space quite a bit.

Still, I'm sensing reluctance from him regarding Epcot. I think he wants to ride roller coasters.

Thanks for the input. Any thoughts on the Epcot addition?

I'd be curious about their thoughts on SeaWorld too. I think it's a very well balanced park.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad