Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Jul 22, 2010
Hmmm it seems as if it is nationally loved although we have some minor complaints.

Cover Page

It would seem as if they author is in love with B&M inverted coasters. Go figure. My beloved Space Mountain is on it!

griffonrox said:
Yeah, the blocks on alp do have a sharp twist before them (This is why apollo's is better!.. No bias there...)

That I cannot argue with. I regularly go to the outlets early on weekdays and stop at Busch to do a ride on Apollo and ride the train back to Tweed.

LOL! That list is mess.

He has The Beast (yawn), Desperado (ouch), The Rattler (Gives me a headache just seeing it's name), and the wrong Space Mountain up there (Disneyland's is FAR superior)!!!

And Goliath at SFMM shouldn't be on that list either.

Wait, uhm Goliath at SFMM shouldnt be on that list? That is one beast of a coaster man... I wouldnt put it on my top 10, but it's definitely in my top 20 or so.

^Other than the first drop (which was just ok), I found the ride to be uneventful and the layout just uninteresting. The only Goliath that should be on the list is the one at SFoG!

^Yes. Do I really have to repeat myself?!?!

The ride isn't all that exciting and lacks some serious airtime, which I look for in a hyper. Plus the dead stop on the mid-course brake run kills the pacing. And after that it's just a bunch of turns and helices.

I'm glad you find it exciting but it's not a top tier coaster for me. And it only ranked #70 on Mitch's recent steel coaster poll.

Doesnt matter. I get into this argument all the time. Hyper =/= airtimepalooza.

Look at the rating on I305, even when it had the trims and only one or two pops of airtime. Also The braking on Goliath is pretty harsh, but that didnt kill the rest of speed on the ride. Any faster and you would still have people blacking out (people still reportedly black and grey out WITH the current MCBR).

I mean, "Just a bunch of turns and helices"? You may like drops on a coaster, but lack of drops doesnt make a bad coaster. All we see now from B&M is one trick ponies. I like a coaster that can balance out turns, drops and inversions. Goliath takes care of both drops and turns quite well. The design of the coaster is clearly not to float you. It's not just sposed to give you a balls to the wall, head against headrest intensity-fest either... but it gives you a taste of both quite well...,

And I find it funny that you call SFMM's Goliath layout uneventful and uninteresting compared to this:

http://rcdb.com/3290.htm?p=13503

That layout is about as "eventful" as a oval track nascar race... It does the same thing over, and over, and over...

I think airtime is amazing and twists and turns are boring. That's why I love Apollo's Chariot and dislike i305. Youhow obviously likes twists and turns. Unagi is apparently like me- he likes airtime. Can't we just leave it at that?

Dont get me wrong... I love airtime... But a repetitive layout is boring. My main argument is that every other hyper out there is the same freakin thing. Im not trying to start anything or be "rawr" at anyone. Even though you may not enjoy the twist and turns as much as I do Atleast hear my argument that SFMM's Goliath is less typical and stands out more so than any "traditional" B&M hyper would.

^You can argue all you want about Goliath at SFMM but it's still not gonna change my mind. I don't like the ride!

I do like twists and turns on a steel coaster but SFMM Goliath has an imperfect balance of that to go along with the minimal airtime that it has. The only air Goliath has is just a little on the first drop (which, angled at 60°, feels kind of rampy) and it has nice floater on the hill after the hammerhead turn. The rest of the ride was just a bore.

Unagi said:
LOL! That list is mess.

He has The Beast (yawn), Desperado (ouch), The Rattler (Gives me a headache just seeing it's name), and the wrong Space Mountain up there (Disneyland's is FAR superior)!!!

And Goliath at SFMM shouldn't be on that list either.

I agree with you. But at least MSN is showing the public some other GOOD rollercoasters as opposed to the usual "Millinium Foce" (yawn) type lists they usually see.

But WAY too many B&M inverts. haha

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad