Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
^I'm going to get a lot of hate for this, but I like the new Oktoberfest. Yes, there are things I don't like about it (soccer game, henna tattoos, Entwined versions 1,2,and3, Mäch Tower) but for the most part, I think they really improved the area. I don't know what I'd do without my pretzel from the pretzel store. :p

Hoopla said:
^I'm going to get a lot of hate for this, but I like the new Oktoberfest. Yes, there are things I don't like about it (soccer game, henna tattoos, Entwined versions 1,2,and3, Mäch Tower) but for the most part, I think they really improved the area. I don't know what I'd do without my pretzel from the pretzel store. :p

Sounds like the only thing you like is the pretzel store.

I forgot that tower thing with the dancers even existed. They should've kept it for the new Oktoberfest. Maybe stick it in front of Mach Tower or something.

Old Oktoberfest looks awful though (although the trees add a bit of character to the area even if the area is a giant carnival). Who thought 70s brown would make a great color scheme for a carnival?

Noticed this sign by the women's bathroom outside the Festhaus last night. Google Translate seems to be stumbling; can some of you with German skills help translate?

Attachments

• Sign - Festhaus- women's bathroom 1.JPG
    Sign - Festhaus- women's bathroom 1.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 85
  • Sign - Festhaus- women's bathroom 2.JPG
    Sign - Festhaus- women's bathroom 2.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 68
  • Google Translate - Festhaus sign.jpg
    Google Translate - Festhaus sign.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 67
Just a note: There is hardly a single German sign in the park with proper grammar/spelling.

Edit:The word,Gtrasse, is actually Strasse, which means street. An "S" was written like that in Germany long ago. A rough translation would be: Everything is distorted outside that Inn I just came out of. Now, my eyes are where my mouth was. Now my right-hand and left-hand are reversed. Oh Street, Mark my words, you are crazy!

Again, that is only a translation that makes sense in English. If I translated it Word for Word, it wouldn't make any sense, because first of all, the grammar is all wrong, and German word order is very different from English word order.

CastleOSullivan said:
A rough translation would be: Everything is distorted outside that Inn I just came out of. Now, my eyes are where my mouth was. Now my right-hand and left-hand are reversed. Oh Street, Mark my words, you are crazy!

Sounds like the perfect words one would utter after having observed ENTWINED this season.

Thanks for taking the time COS. You so crazy!

Party Rocker said:
The park could care less about grammar and spelling, so as long it appears to be german for the GP to say "wow, how authentic!"

Just who is this "GP?" From what can tell, they apparently are quasi-literate, undiscerning, idiots, whom many of you only suffer to allow in the park for their money.

I'm sorry if I am getting a bit annoyed about this, but there seem to be a whole host of criticisms of the park that are attributed to the lack of taste of these hoi polloi you call the "GP."

I am fairly certain that my friends and I are "GP." I am equally certain that none of us are as thoughtless as you imply here. In fact several of my friends from VB are fluent in German. I am certain they would recognize the problem with the sign. I'm not sure they would really care, because when we go to BGW we are there to enjoy ourselves. We are not looking for reasons to feel superior to the people who work there. Similarly, one of my DC friends who goes with me to BGW events, mostly HOS, is the smartest woman I have ever met (we were roommates at Georgetown). Anyway, she is also one of the sweetest people I know. She was a medieval studies major (read Beowulf in the original Old English for her thesis). I am confident she could tear the theming in the park to ribbons. But why would she? She wants to see things that are cool and clever, not obsess over inconsistencies and mistakes.

OK. I'll get off my soap box now.

Last edited:
Well said, Nic! The day before yesterday, I took some German cousins to visit the park, and they noticed the signs, but they didn't try to belittle the park. They understood that the park was all about the experience. That being said, they loved the park! They thought it was very beautiful, and they liked all of the shows. They even liked Entwined to some point, although they said, in a nic way, "It was a bit childish for my taste." Although, they were glad that I told them ahead of time that the show was for children.

As far as their attitude about the Oktoberfest section, they thought that it displayed the essence of a traditional Oktoberfest celebration very well. The older ones especially enjoyed it, because it was very traditional, and you can't really get that anymore in Germany. I admit I was a little worried at first, but they really liked Oktoberfest, and I think it might have even been their favorite part of the park.

Reactions: Peter R. and Nicole
Nic, I am sorry if you felt offended by any way. When I refer to the the GP or the General Public I am referring to the general masses of the park attendance, yes you may have friends who are highly educated or you may have family who has lived the culture, but I am referring to your average joe who doesn't go to college to be a professor, I am not talking about the people who have lived the actual culture.

In my eyes, the General Public is just the overall average mass of people that don't realize things. I don't consider any person on these forums who is well known to be a part of the GP, including you Nic. If you post here often enough and have a logical conversation on these forums I consider you a part of the enthusiasts group.

And with that, the GP changes from group to group. I am sure you can group college professors together and everyone else in their eyes are the GP. The park probably looks at all of us as part of the GP. The general public is a name given to the large mass of people who are not well informed or use all of their common sense. I think that this group is often referred to as such because you have to understand that once this large mass of people take a step into the park, they lose their common sense, whereas we tend to know more and use our smarts.

I am not saying the GP are stupid idiots, but rather not well informed or they just simply don't know as much as we do or the park does.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad