Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Jul 18, 2015
Orlando fl.
I know there's already a thread for the VR coming to SFA, but this is a thread for all 9 parks getting virtual reality in 2016.
NEW YORK — Six Flags announced on Thursday a partnership with Samsung that will bring virtual reality headsets to nine roller coasters across the U.S.

The roller coasters will be equipped to allow riders to wear Samsung Gear VR headsets to customize their ride experience.

“This remarkable technology is a definite game-changer for theme park rides and represents everything our brand stands for – delivering the most thrilling and innovative rides and attractions in the world,” saidJohn Duffey, Six Flags President and CEO. “

The virtual reality coasters will launch in March and throughout the Summer, including: Shock Wave in Texas, Dare Devil Dive in Atlanta, The New Revolution in Los Angeles, Ninja in Missouri, Steamin’ Demon in New York and Goliath in Montreal.

Three new SUPERMAN virtual reality coasters will launch in San Antonio, Massachusetts and Maryland.

The VR headset works with Samsung’s Galaxy S7, Galaxy S7 edge, Galaxy S6, S6 edge, S6 edge+ and Note5.

“Now, people can be immersed into a totally new universe while riding a roller coaster, powered by Samsung Gear VR virtual reality devices. This transforms the modern roller coaster into a totally new, one of a kind sensorial experience – powered by technology. We are excited to work with the premiere brand in theme parks to bring Samsung’s VR technology to nine Six Flags locations across the U.S.”

Here's the link

What do you think of this? Share your thoughts below :)

RE: Six Flags is adding virtual reality to 9 rollercoasters in 2016

In all seriousness, I have been concerned for a while about the physical experience on some of these rides. On a lot of coasters many people have to brace themselves before specific elements to prevent getting hurt. If you are wearing a VR headset and not aware of what is actually coming up on the track, couldn't you very easily get knocked around?

I'm concerned about the execution. They are powered by (although higher end) cell phones. I'm not sure if the tech will be able to keep up with the movement. Poor syncing on VR makes people sick.

Also, I'm not sure I want to strap something to my face that was just on some sweaty stranger who is getting a cold.

How will they keep the less responsible guests from breaking the headsets?

It mentions in the articles that they will have enough to allow them to be cleaned each use. My question is how are they going to keep a charge on these all day if they are just using a cell phone. This software would most likely drain a lot of battery from the phone !

I'm not confident in any park's ability to provide an acceptable level of hygene in the middle of a busy day. I have a higher threshold for cleanliness in things that touch my face than my hands.

Reactions: Zachary

In my opinion this will never work mixing virtual reality with roller coasters is a bad idea and how is my headset supposed to take me out the realism of riding a coaster if I'm visibly feeling the forces on the ride. Fail, Six Flags Fail, "sigh" morons.

Nicole said:
In all seriousness, I have been concerned for a while about the physical experience on some of these rides.  On a lot of coasters many people have to brace themselves before specific elements to prevent getting hurt.  If you are wearing a VR headset and not aware of what is actually coming up on the track, couldn't you very easily get knocked around?

I rode batman on the (normal) front seat when it was running backwards at Sfgadv. That was the most intense and unrepeatable ride I've ever been on. Not seeing what's coming is a huge deal on the more forceful coasters.

This^ I have no interest in this. Which is saying a lot, because I love coasters.

the VR is optional, so you can still ride these coasters without VR, but it might add to the experience especially on some of the coasters.

Here's a video of it.  I like how well the footage is synced up to the coaster.  You see them go through a building that slows you down in the VR when you hit the break run.  I'm more optimistic about this.

Huh, it does seem to be Synced pretty well. I'm a little bothered that SixFlags is just reusing Magic Mountain's New Revolution name on it. I assume it because the VR is that same storyline/visuals. But, hey, that's par for the course for SixFlags.

Reactions: Pretzel Kaiser
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad