Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

Luke

Pusheen Gardens
Jul 20, 2011
1,995
8,010
260
Williamsburg, VA
http://wavy.com/2017/12/31/firefighters-put-out-brush-fire-at-busch-gardens/

WILLIAMSBURG, Va. (WAVY) – Firefighters responded to a brush fire at Busch Gardens Williamsburg Sunday night, according to James City County officials.

Busch Gardens was open at the time for their annual Christmastown event, according to their website.

Witnesses say the fire began during the amusement park’s special fireworks celebration.
 
Sep 29, 2009
2,895
7,818
260
RE: Brush fire at Busch Gardens Williamsburg Sunday

I was not there tonight, but given last year's show, sadly, I am not too surprised. The downfall during last year looked very out of control, and it amazes me that this didn't happen last year.

Was the show stopped or did this happen after? How did they handle evacuation procedures? I hope nobody was injured and that it didn't cause too much damage to the surroundings.
 

horsesboy

DarKoaster stalker
Advisory Panel
Silver Donor
Jun 16, 2013
4,861
11,081
250
RE: Brush fire at Busch Gardens Williamsburg Sunday

CastleOSullivan said:
I was not there tonight, but given last year's show, sadly, I am not too surprised. The downfall during last year looked very out of control, and it amazes me that this didn't happen last year.

Was the show stopped or did this happen after? How did they handle evacuation procedures? I hope nobody was injured and that it didn't cause too much damage to the surroundings.
I was there but had caught the fireworks from the lot and my car do to the extreme cold. Saw fire trucks on my way in but had no idea it was anything that significant. From what I am hearing it doesn't sound to bad it sounds like it wad contained to the woods bellow Lumberhack.
 
  • Like
Reactions: jornor
Sep 29, 2009
2,895
7,818
260
RE: Brush fire at Busch Gardens Williamsburg Sunday

I am planning on going to the park tomorrow. I will make sure to look if I can see any damage. I think the railway is closed in these temps anyway, as is Nacht Tower, so I don't think that's going to provide any more info.
 

horsesboy

DarKoaster stalker
Advisory Panel
Silver Donor
Jun 16, 2013
4,861
11,081
250
CastleOSullivan said:
I am planning on going to the park tomorrow. I will make sure to look if I can see any damage. I think the railway is closed in these temps anyway, as is Nacht Tower, so I don't think that's going to provide any more info.
The rail road was running for part of the night tonight.
 
Apr 12, 2010
204
323
160
Going solely by the pictures provided, it looks like the fireworks were drifting sideways too much before/while going off. They also looked like they were going off too low. Hard to tell by the pics, though. Jeez, I'm just glad nobody was hurt, and doesn't sound like too much damage other than foliage/trees. They put it out in 15 minutes? Well done by the fire department! Thanks for the pics and updates.
 
Jan 28, 2010
256
429
160
I remember being on the train a couple years ago on a night where there was going to be fireworks. There were workers in that exact area with large hoses waiting to douse the area with water as a precaution once the last train came through. I was in the back of the train and heard the employee in back of the train let the hose workers know that there was one more train coming through before the railroad shut down.

I'm not sure if they take that precaution every night they have fireworks, but it shows they were concerned about this possibility.
 

horsesboy

DarKoaster stalker
Advisory Panel
Silver Donor
Jun 16, 2013
4,861
11,081
250
DJTLG said:
I remember being on the train a couple years ago on a night where there was going to be fireworks. There were workers in that exact area with large hoses waiting to douse the area with water as a precaution once the last train came through. I was in the back of the train and heard the employee in back of the train let the hose workers know that there was one more train coming through before the railroad shut down.

I'm not sure if they take that precaution every night they have fireworks, but it shows they were concerned about this possibility.

I rode the train last night and they had the hosed laid out to do that. How effectiveit they ould do it with the low temps is another question.


flamanar said:
Going solely by the pictures provided, it looks like the fireworks were drifting sideways too much before/while going off.  They also looked like they were going off too low.  Hard to tell by the pics, though.  Jeez, I'm just glad nobody was hurt, and doesn't sound like too much damage other than foliage/trees.  They put it out in 15 minutes?  Well done by the fire department!  Thanks for the pics and updates.
While I have never watched them from the parking lot before they appeared to be normal to me.
 

Attachments

  • 20171231_211555.jpg
    20171231_211555.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 34
May 29, 2013
276
1,139
210
CastleOSullivan said:
I was not there tonight, but given last year's show, sadly, I am not too surprised. The downfall during last year looked very out of control, and it amazes me that this didn't happen last year.

It did. It just didn't really start burning until most people were gone. I watched from the bridge. It just didn't make the news.
 
Oct 7, 2011
1,793
5,767
250
Out of curiosity -- what is different about the NYE fireworks that make fires more likely? Is it anything beyond simply the climate as a function of time of year (dry and leafy ground vs. humid green leaves still on trees)?

'Cuz they had fireworks frequently during a few recent summers, and I don't recall hearing about any noteworthy or repeated conflagrations. Occasional minor trestle fires, sure -- but who doesn't get those from time to time?
 
  • Like
Reactions: jornor

Zachary

Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
15,983
46,974
260
Virginia
There has been a notable uptick in pyro mishaps over the last year at BGW from what I understand. The fourth of July fireworks were a complete mess as well. The vast majority of these incidents go unreported when we hear about them because they are dealt with without guests ever really noticing. Sunday's was the largest I know of in recent memory.
 

MAZ

Jan 30, 2014
2,594
5,108
250
Richmond
Fires are usually caused by an explosion occurring too close to the ground, not allowing ample time for glowing embers to burn out. This puts the blame on China, for making crappy fireworks. ( yes....that is a joke)
 
  • Like
Reactions: Luke and jornor
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad