Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

Luke

Pusheen Gardens
Silver Donor
Jul 20, 2011
Williamsburg, VA
New facial recognition entry system at BGW & WC
attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 1,059
RE: New facial recognition entry system at BGW & WC

I'd be interested to see if this does indeed speed up the process. To me it sounds like it would take longer than he traditional system or the biometric finger scanners.

I feel like the real reason is to cut down on people sharing their passes but I doubt that really happens all that often.

They used to take your picture when you actually bought the pass. I agree with Shane, seems like taking a picture of every pass member the first time they visit could cause a traffic jam, but I guess that would be worked out by the middle to end of the season when most pass members have already made their first visit.

Perhaps they'll go back to taking pictures at the time of purchase in the future.

Since the finger scan never worked for me in Williamsburg, and they had to give me a permanent bypass, I am really glad they are changing systems. In addition, I think it could speed up the process. The entrance lines were always slowed by people having to scan their fingers multiple times. KD's entrance always seemed much quicker to me, even with the metal detectors.

One question I have, however, is whether this change is SEAS-wide or just limited to Williamsburg. Will I still have to scan my finger in Florida?

Luke said:
New facial recognition entry system at BGW & WC
attachment.php

Well Shit

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view6/4556273/jack-spicer-jaw-drop-o.gif

This poses privacy concerns imho. Judging by how easily hackers seem to be able to hack 'the everything'...it's not a stretch to say someone will eventually hack this system and have access to everyone's facial 'profiles'. Obviously the system can only function properly if your facial 'profile' is stored. As long as that info is stored, it's not safe. No 'tin foil hat' here. Just reality. I'd pass on this and go with a photo ID (if I'm ever able to return to the park, of course). That being said, the finger scanner has ALWAYS been quite ridiculous.

This system would have absolutely no reason to be wired into the Internet. I'm fairly sure that it would be on its own network leaving no way in to hack it. (It's how I would do it at least)

MAZ said:
This system would have absolutely no reason to be wired into the Internet. I'm fairly sure that it would be on its own network leaving no way in to hack it. (It's how I would do it at least)

I'm sure the data will be stored in a pretty standard database connected to the internet. They'll need to be able to quickly send the pictures to whatever handheld device the employees will be using (if identification at the gate is the goal here). I'd be surprised if they're going to use servers just for this program. A picture to go with a name is actually pretty low risk data, but it will likely have the same chance of a data breach as anything else (low chance).

Do any of you know if there have been other parks that have implemented this system?

Hessian, the system being implemented at BGW may be more complex, but Kings Dominion uses a photo ID system. You hand the team member your pass, they scan it, your picture pops up on their monitor, they verify your face, and you're in. The only difference is that at KD, you get your picture taken in a separate building before entering, while at BGW your picture will be taken when you first enter.

I don't know why anyone would be concerned with hackers hacking in to a photograph of you, I'm sure the majority of people here have a picture of themselves on their Facebook profile. I'd be more concerned with my credit card information getting stolen from SEAS then my photo.

I guess I am not 100% sure how the new system is supposed to work. I am imagining a face scanner which I feel would be more problematic and prone to mismatching than the fingerprint scanners. Am I getting this wrong? Or is this just a plan old fashion turnstile system that your photo pops up on a monitor when you scan your pass and you are visually verified by an employee. If it's the latter this actually seems like a technological backstep versus a technological advancement. I believe this is how Cedar Fair has done their passed for years.

I don't think this change is supposed to be about technological advancement as much as it is to increase efficiency and reduce frustration. The bio scanners may have been technologically advanced, but they were always a pain, even for the people who didn't have issues getting through them, because the people in front of you would always have issues and the line would get extremely backed up. I think one of the main intentions when introducing the bio scanners was decreasing the entrance attendants on the job, but due to the deplorable user interface in general of the bio scanners, all the SEAS parks I have been to have had attendants at just about every scanner because of the constant issues that seem to arrise with every guest. So since they already have the attendants, it just seems more logistical to decrease frustration and wait time by implementing this new system.

Also, it sounds like the main take-away of this system compared to Cedar Fair's is that the scanning device will be completely handheld, whereas Cedar Fair still uses full-sized monitors to display guest pictures. Therefore, there will most likely not be a need for booths with this system.

It's probably faster, but I don't think that card theft was the reason for the change. That's where it is a step backwards. There's even less to prevent theft now.

For instance, someone like my brother might easily be mistaken for me, whereas our fingerprints are much more unique. This means that passes could get confused, which could be pretty bad. I guess it depends on whether or not your photo pops up at registers.

This isn't really any different than what Cedar Fair already does. Universal Studios Japan already uses facial recognition from NEC for guest entry. All the system does is compare your face to a picture of your face that is on file, just like a person at KD does. Here is a Promo Video from NEC.

Though I don't really see this system really making a big difference in how long it takes to get into the park.

See, the video that Gavin posted is what I was imagining based on the threads title "New Facial Recognition Entey..."

But after rereading the info graphic from BGW I don't think it's that high tech at all. I assume turnstiles are illuminated entirely and your ticket or pass is scanned on a handheld unit and your photo pops up in the display and the cast member makes a judgment call as to whether or not that is you in the photo and permits entry to the park.

I guess we will find out soon enough.

If they're adding actual facial recognition tech, I don't understand what the point of the change would be.

Gavin's right about the lack of reduction in time spent in line in that case. It seems they could have just invested in better fingerprint readers rather than bring in all new hardware. I could see if they were reducing tech by having employees make a visual judgement, thereby reducing cost and time spent in line, but adding new machines... They must have some extra cash laying around.

Thanks for the vid, Gavin. I have a better idea of what they'll be doing at BGW now. Might speed things up. Not sure if beards or eyeglasses would 'confuse' the computer (I have a beard in winter, but not in summer...contacts/glasses). I agree with CastleOSullivan that it's somewhat of a step 'backwards' for the reason they pointed out. Alot of good points made here by people. Quite frankly, this does creep me out less than the RFID system tied to people's hotel keys at WDW...

The best way to speed things up (I think) would be for an attendant to verify a picture with a face, rather than doing it through a computer to make that judgement call. Save a bunch of money, too...as high tech 'tech' is not cheap. Maybe a special lane or two for passes/passholders with 'issues'.

How can we protect you if we don't know where you are?

Nothing to worry about with this new procedure. Disneyland and DCA do this same exact process and it works faster than the finger scanners used at WDW.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad