Which is it?

• Good idea.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Sep 5, 2010
RICHMOND
Let's say that, in pop culture, aliens became super popular. Now, let's suppose the park found out and decided to cash-in by building an alien space ship attraction in New France. People liked it; it seemed to be fairly popular.

The question is: Would you support this change or think it was a bad move?

Remember -- people at the park seem to like it. It's a well-done attraction.

Good idea or horrible disaster?

I don't like the analogy. The "glow" merchandise carts have been a staple at the park for years during the summer. The merchandise is an established fixture there and is always amplified during Illuminights. You are already encountering them at multiple locations in every hamlet. They're right on the path and cannot be avoided. The new (temporary) shop is just a larger version of a glow cart.

I don't think you can equate that with with park deciding to partner up with some random pop culture fad and shoe horn an attraction around it into one of the hamlets.

(Honestly, I can appreciate both sides of this argument and don't really have a strong opinion either way. I just think this analogy is a bad starting point to launch a more thoughtful discussion of this issue.)

Shafor hit it on the head. The stand its totally temporary, we may see it last through Howl-O-Scream, but thats it. Plus the park is never going to do something like the poll suggests.

I'm on my phone so I won't even attempt to write a full reply at the moment; but, I will say that I think the basic question that Dr. Money set forth is fair. Obviously his example is taking the idea to the far extreme, but doing so can often highlight or bring forward issues with the idea being tested. Furthermore, I don't think that Dr. Money is referring directly to the (awful looking) glow stand but to the more general direction the park has been taking with its theming, shows, rides, and even special events. I encourage people on both sides of the argument to really think about his question and answer honestly- don't toss it away thinking it's the argument of some radical. If you think the question is bad, pose your own to the other side. As long as people stay civil and this doesn't turn into the sundial thread version 2, the worst that could happen is that both sides develop their views and arguments further and, well, that's better for everyone. Just please, stay civil.

Can we move this to the pointless discussions thread? :p

(Not that I don't understand or respect people's opinions. I just think this "issues" has been discussed to death and it really comes down to arguing about one's personal taste. I don't understand how there is going to be anything productive from continuing to beat this dead horse.)

Theme change? What has been changed themewise other than pulling OktoberFest out of a horribly dated 1970s look? Oh yea, nothing really has. Man, I guess it is just making something out of nothing. No big deal as it goes on on any fansite. Some have a basis and some want attention. Made over a light cart? HAHAHAHA, I have some news, WDW and Uni use them in higher force than BGW does now or ever will.

I am really trying to figure out if this thread is a massive troll. I really am leaning towards it, though. Using aliens as a basis, I cannot imagine it not being a troll it is so bogus.

President of Entertainment is a fail. Change is coming. Nothing detrimental to the park in the longrun.

Reactions: netdvn
To really dumb this down: There are things in the park that give me a sad. Big things like EITA and Entwined. Little things like the umbrellas in the beer garden and the Phart shirts. These are things that, when I see them, cause me to shake my head and get bummed out to some degree. With some things, I can't even articulate why they give me a sad. They just do.

Every hard core park goer has their own personal list of these things (alternatively there are things that always make them happy, and the removal or changing of those things give them a sad.) So how many of those things are on your list? Does one or two of them give you such a big enough sad that is jeopardizes your park experience? Does a combination of a dozen or so of them have that effect? Everyone would have a "breaking point" on this scale. Some just have a higher pain tolerance than others. Does this make any sense?

Telling people that they shouldn't be upset about things that give them a sad is as pointless as telling someone that they should be unhappy about things that don't, IMO.

Shafor said:
Telling people that they shouldn't be upset about things that give them a sad is as pointless as telling someone that they should be unhappy about things that don't, IMO.

When something has a base and someone comes across as not liking "just because" then I will completely agree with them. Umbrellas: Seats were needed in that area, no natural shade yet, without umbrellas complaints would ensue, until trees grow larger and provide it naturally? Unbrellas. There would be a slew of complaints without them than a couple people seeming looking for items to complain about. Phart shirts sure do seems to be selling well with how many people I see wear them. You have those that complain with base and those that do for attention.

Atlantis said:
I have some news, WDW and Uni use them in higher force than BGW does now or ever will.

WDW & Uni generally have a movable cart that is only present during its hours of operation, i.e. after dark. From what I've read, this is not the case in BGW... but it would have been a much simpler and less unsightly solution.

Haberdasher1973 said:
WDW & Uni generally have a movable cart that is only present during its hours of operation, i.e. after dark. From what I've read, this is not the case in BGW... but it would have been a much simpler and less unsightly solution.

Most are rolling but a few across the parks are fixed with merch rotated out throughout the day.

I guess the Italy item is in question. Someone is mad because it took the place of a seemingly falling apart grape stand? LOLO. I agree it is not the best item at all but it is a direct result of dudeman in Entertainment that looks like will be gone soon. Ranting over it? lol

Atlantis said:
Umbrellas: Seats were needed in that area, no natural shade yet, without umbrellas complaints would ensue, until trees grow larger and provide it naturally? Unbrellas.

There are plenty of artificial shade alternatives to umbrellas, even IN the park. The elevated shades at FOF, on the Bistro deck, the fabric banners draped over the paths in Italy. These things create shade, look nice, and don't block my line of vision. They have a stage there that people walking through can't see and people sitting there have to crane their necks around umbrella poles to see. The could have created a killer looking tent-style covering there that was elevated and would look like an actual outdoor beer tent.

Grrrrrr....sucked in. :dodgy:

(And my beef in this instance in one of functionality not aesthetics.)

Shafor said:
Grrrrrr....sucked in. :dodgy:

HAHA! Tell me about it. I guess I have larger issues with tents than I do with umbrellas. I imagine the CT tent at Trapper's.

The point of this is not to discuss the Illuminights cart. It's about a broader issue of priorities:

Is anything that is well liked by the public good for the park, or should some things be excluded from the park even if they are popular with the public?

This doesn't have to be sundials or glow sticks or Phart shirts. It's anything at all.

Would you build a popular, well-made, well-reviewed UFO in the middle of New France? Yes or no?

Shafor said:
Cool Doctor Money said:
Would you build a popular, well-made, well-reviewed UFO in the middle of New France? Yes or no?

No. And neither would Busch Gardens so the question is moot.

Why is it moot? The park has built and hosted non-Euro stuff before. Now, since you said you wouldn't..why wouldn't you?

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad