Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
RE: 2018 Park Changes and Projects

Celticdog said:
Some more activity at James City County Planning Department.
A permit has been submitted on 3-29-2018 for a special use permit to build a 15,500 s.f. event building.

The link is here: http://first.jamescitycountyva.gov/CaseTrak/searchdetail.aspx?caseid=66838

I am guessing that it really is renovating DK but I could be wrong.

Celticdog said:
Some more activity at James City County Planning Department.
A permit has been submitted on 3-29-2018 for a special use permit to build a 15,500 s.f. event building.

The link is here: http://first.jamescitycountyva.gov/CaseTrak/searchdetail.aspx?caseid=66838

Something interesting here. JCC Defines M-1 zoning (which they labled this building):
The primary purpose of the Limited Business/Industrial District, M-1, is to establish an area where the principal use of land is for limited business/industrial operations which are not ordinarily compatible with adjacent residential development. The specific intent of this district is to accomplish the following:

(1) Encourage the use of land for limited business and industrial purposes; (2) Prohibit residential developments on land reserved for limited business and industrial uses; (3) Permit certain commercial and office uses in a manner which is compatible with limited business and industrial uses; and (4) Establish minimum requirements to protect the health, safety and welfare of the citizens of James City County from the effects or impacts commonly associated with the development of limited business and industrial uses.

I'm not sure what the rest of the park is zoned, but it seems as though this is something that would be sales+backstage.

For size reference, 15,500 sq ft is about half the size of Festhaus. A hair smaller than the entry and ride area of BfE. Roughly the same footprint of EfP's event building.

What might "build" mean in the context of that application?

"Build" = Build
"Build" = Renovate?
"Build" = Repurpose?
"Build"  = Change out internal systems but keep building structure mostly unchanged?

Knowing that much would help to narrow down the possibilities...

Reactions: Zachary

halfabee said:
What might "build" mean in the context of that application?

"Build" = Build
"Build" = Renovate?
"Build" = Repurpose?
"Build"  = Change out internal systems but keep building structure mostly unchanged?

Knowing that much would help to narrow down the possibilities...

New construction. JCC provides a glossary of terms, and build is new construction. They would be pulling a permit under renovations with more defined work if they were working on an existing structure.

Additionally, after looking and using google earth to measure: There's nothing currently on BGW's property of that size.

Huge thanks for the heads-up Celticdog!

Just so everyone knows, I've already contacted JCC's Planning Department to get more information about this project. Hopefully we'll know more by tomorrow.

Personally what I find interesting is there's no GPS tag for the location. Very open ended. This might be a pre-agreed upon thing with JCC though to keep future attractions on the hush with location.

Tried to find other attractions that were about the same size, came up with Boo Blasters at KD, Action Theater at Carowinds, Laff Track and Reece's Xtreme Cup Challenge at HP.

It I were to guess with the little information we have, I might suggest it might be a new event building for special events. I suggest it because the park could be losing the locations for Lumberhacked and Unearthed this year. I'm not sure the park wants to lose two mazes without replacements in one year.

Black Forrest replacement?

warfelg said:
Personally what I find interesting is there's no GPS tag for the location.  Very open ended.  This might be a pre-agreed upon thing with JCC though to keep future attractions on the hush with location.

Tried to find other attractions that were about the same size, came up with Boo Blasters at KD, Action Theater at Carowinds, Laff Track and Reece's Xtreme Cup Challenge at HP.
I would personally like a good version of Boo Blasters or Extreme Cup. Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin is a favorite...must get 999999 on both guns every ride!

Reactions: DJTLG and jornor

A dark ride to fill the DarKastle void would be fantastic. That definitely felt missing from my day Sunday and I highly doubt BfE will be a sufficient supplement. BGW is the type of park you expect to have a great dark ride somewhere.

The path designs (flow around the building and width) indicate to me that this is for guest usage into and out of the building during multiple events and not solely for staff/prop movements.
Also, they bothered to place shrubbery in the mock-up, so that's a CLEAR giveaway! ;-D

Or else we are all wrong and it's actually the site for "DarKastle Two: IN2 The Darkness."

I tend to agree with you, Bring Back Questor 87.

If this was for storage, I would have expected a paved road up to the building from the neighboring service road. I presented alternatives in the article just in case, but I'd bet money this is a permanent home for a HOS house.

Zachary said:
Sorry about the delay. I had hoped to get this up yesterday afternoon but I'm afraid I may be coming down with something... :(

Anyway... about that permit.

[tweet=https://twitter.com/BGWFans/status/981563137064407040]

By dedicated could this mean permanent? Im not too familiar with building lingo lol.

Reactions: jornor
The building is certainly permanent but, as for its contents, who knows. I, personally, would like to see the space dedicated solely to a highly-detailed Howl-O-Scream house like we've seen Kings Dominion invest in lately.

The potential option are, in truth, nearly limitless though.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad