Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Aug 17, 2010
In a whirlwind announcement, Six Flags Magic Mountain announced three new roller coasters for 2011. The first is not really new, they are simply re-doing the recently closed Superman: The Escape ride, fitting it out with flying-style trains below the track and a backwards side, redubbing the ride, Superman: Escape From Krypton. The second is the kids coaster that was supposed to open last year, however plans for the Mr. Six themeing seem to have been dumped. The third is a complete surprise, America's first Intamin ZacSpin. It will be themed to Green Lantern and situated between Riddler's Revenge and Terminator. This gives the park a grand total of 18 coasters, surpassing Cedar Point for the lead worldwide.

Your thoughts?

Capacity on the ZacSpin is going to suck. As for the park taking the crown from Cedar Point:

"O noz a park with 18 mediocre coasters stolz da crown from da point!"

Yes, Magic Mountain has a few good coasters, but look at Cedar Point. The Point clearly wins.

Yeah, I mainly must agree Swift. The only great rides there are Tatsu and X2 (and they are GREAT rides), but I do enjoy that SFMM has the amount of B&Ms they have (four) and that the addition of this Intamin will only be the second in the park, whereas the Point is, well, you know...

if your coaster goes up, tips you over the top and holds you there, then drops you into an inversion, then do it again; it is a glorified drop tower and top spin combo. That runs twice per ride!!!! Griffon is a flat. new acronym, Giaf

Swiftman said:
Capacity on the ZacSpin is going to suck. As for the park taking the crown from Cedar Point:

"O noz a park with 18 mediocre coasters stolz da crown from da point!"

Yes, Magic Mountain has a few good coasters, but look at Cedar Point. The Point clearly wins.

Have you been to SFMM?

All their rollercoasters are amazing.

Goliath speaks for itself I believe.

Viper still has the tallest freestanding inversion and is a really amazing classic arrow coaster and one of my favorites of all time.

Riddler's Revenge is one of the most epic coasters of all time. I cant even really explain what makes it so great with words, but the experience is so insane... the way it just puts you through inversion after massive inversion while standing up... Also the soundtrack for the station and the lights, people dancing in the station at night... I love it and it really is unique because of all that.

Revolution was amazing(before they trimmed it to hell)

Ninja is second only to Big Bad Wolf in the world of arrow suspended's imo.

Terminator Salvation is great for a wood, kind of short, but great.

Colossus is epic old school woody, and still the tallest and fastest on the west coast if I recall correctly.

Gold Rusher is my favorite mine-cart coaster of all time. It goes up and down the mountain surrounded in trees and terrain the whole time.

Superman the escape was fun when it was newer and still neared the top, and with this new renovation im sure it will be doing that once more. I cant even imagine that ride backwards, its gonna be insane regardless... a 350-380ft 90 degree vertical drop with no rotation going down? Should be intense...

Scream, I never understood where the hate for this ride comes from. It's a fun ride. Has nothing on Dominator though but it is a great addition. If it hadnt been built over a parking lot and given a better theme im sure people wouldnt be too hard on it, but to me those things are mostly irrelevant, the ride still delivers...

The Batman clones still to this day hold their reputation as being some of the most fierce, intense coasters in the world, and that is exactly why they have been cloned so many times.

Deja'vu is a good twist on a classic clone. Two vertical drops on a suspended? Forwards and backwards?

Tatsu is the one of the two ONLY roller coasters that EVER made me yell expletives. It's that intense.

X2 is the first, and only other roller coaster that has made me yell expletives...

I can understand the hate for Scream! because it's a literal parking lot coaster and there are about ten other rides just like it that are not built on parking lots. Have to agree, though, Tatsu and X2 are ridiculous rides.

Here's a link to The Coaster Critic's article about the SFMM expansion and a YouTube clip released by Magic Mountain as well. From the video, it is clear that the Superman trains will not be under the track and in a flying position as reported on Screamscape, but the paint job will be new and overall, it looks like a good renovation. Green Lantern looks pretty cool and very disorienting. That would be an Intamin I might get excited about.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad