Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Oct 18, 2012
My daughter was at the Norfolk Zoo today and reported that two of their bongos are moving to Disney today. According to the keepers in Norfolk these two bongos are particularly good at reproducing and Disney is hoping to end up with a whole herd in accordance with the current Species Survival Plan.

The staff at VA Zoo, they are very excited about this. AZA is the body that controls when, who, and where animals breed in legit zoos. Our (VA Zoo's) Bongos have been quiet prolific over the years and their progeny have also been known to do very well. Our Lions are also in demand because our male lion is good natured particularly with the cubs.

Our Lions are also in demand because our male lion is good natured particularly with the cubs.

I've seen Dakari, who was born to our lions Mramba and Zola in 2009, quite a few times at Disney's Animal Kingdom. But I only got to seem him running around once during a night ride on the Kilimanjaro Safaris. Most of the time I ride the safari as early as possible since that's when the majority of the animals are active. The lions, however, like to sleep all day and that's exactly what I've seen Dakari doing every time. I would like to hear him roar just once to see if he's as prolific as his dad.

You really can feel it in your chest when he roars.
When they had their, "litter?" of cubs (need to ask the zookeeper GF about that term) in 2009 I remember Mramba looked all kinds of ragged. His mane was just... well shabby. I asked a docent about it, concerned that he might be ill. He just laughed (and threw a lavish party?) and said, "no he is just a good dad!" I must have looked bewildered because he explained it like this: He said that unlike most lion fathers he is VERY tolerant of the antics of his cubs and encourages them to play with him. Apparently he lets them wrestle with his mane and bite him and all sorts of things. This must be unusual because the zoo is very proud of him.

Oh incidentally have y'all seen Emery lately? (the cub born in Nov of 2017) He is almost, if not as big as Zola! Soon AZA is going to have to place him I suppose.

• Love
Reactions: Unagi and Nicole
Oh incidentally have y'all seen Emery lately? (the cub born in Nov of 2017) He is almost, if not as big as Zola!

Not since last summer. I don’t think he was even half her size then.

Also, Willow, one of our giraffes that was also sent to Disney’s Animal Kingdom a few years ago, recently became a mother in February. Here she is with her calf Violet.

Violet-Willow.jpg

Last edited:
For @Zimmy

Here’s video of our not-so-little Dakari roaring!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

He’s definitely his father’s son!

I think we all know what I thought this thread title was talking about

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad