Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Apr 22, 2019
I would like to ride one of these to see if it's as bad as everybody says. Something tells me I might kind of like it just due to low expectations, except that they'd probably make me sick.

Reactions: Zachary
Mar 16, 2019
San Diego, CA
I have ridden Tidal Twister at SWSD, and can say that it's not the worst ride in the world. That being said, the level of downtime that it has experienced is worse than most Intamin prototypes, and the tilting mechanism is known to break down at times. IIRC, a group was stuck for more than an hour because their car would not tilt up and mechanics had to manually work the mechanism. The Galaxy model seems to eliminate that aspect, which is good going into the future. The roughness that is often described isn't terrible, but I would put it around the same you'd get on traditional wooden coaster. Particularly, it rattles when you come in contact with the drive tires, but is much smoother elsewhere.

Apr 22, 2019
I have ridden Tidal Twister at SWSD, and can say that it's not the worst ride in the world. That being said, the level of downtime that it has experienced is worse than most Intamin prototypes, and the tilting mechanism is known to break down at times. IIRC, a group was stuck for more than an hour because their car would not tilt up and mechanics had to manually work the mechanism. The Galaxy model seems to eliminate that aspect, which is good going into the future. The roughness that is often described isn't terrible, but I would put it around the same you'd get on traditional wooden coaster. Particularly, it rattles when you come in contact with the drive tires, but is much smoother elsewhere.

Well except wooden coasters don't have OTSRs. Did you bang your head on it or no? But really that's not a useful question since when I say ride X banged my head around, inevitably somebody else will report that they get no head banging on it.

Oct 7, 2011
Well except wooden coasters don't have OTSRs. Did you bang your head on it or no? But really that's not a useful question since when I say ride X banged my head around, inevitably somebody else will report that they get no head banging on it.
I'm one of those people, regarding SFGAdv's Green Lantern stand-up (formerly Chang at KK). Smooth, fantastic, no head banging, total surprise. My second-favorite standup I have ever ridden, after Riddler's Revenge which is spectacular. I like GL better than the park's Superman clone, and every bit as much as Medusa.

I mention this to people who live in NJ and they just stare at me, agog. My buddy and I are the only two people ever to get terrific rides on the thing, apparently.

All of which makes me want to try out a Skywarp and see how it lines up against its reputation...

Mar 16, 2019
San Diego, CA

I will say that the restraints aren't as bad as they are thought to be. They're actually padded quite well and there is a good amount of room between the two restraints. It's not too terrible with head-banging. I've ridden it about 10 times so far and hit my head on the restraints during the ride maybe once or twice. By far, the worst thing is that when you get lowered at the beginning of the ride, you're just sitting there at a 45 degree angle with your head resting on one of the restraints for a good 15 seconds.

Reactions: Crunchewy

b.mac

Indiana Beach Vibe
May 14, 2011
BFE, Virginia
Off-Topic: I have ridden Green Lantern on a bad road wheel and had a smoother ride than most other inverting B&Ms, even ones in the same park.

On-Topic: It should explain everything that 2 parks cancelled their plans to add Skywarps after the abomination that was Harley Quinn.

Tidal Twister didn't do much to move the needle on the industry's opinion of these rides. If any park buys one, it likely was their cheapest option.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad