Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
I really hope hungry hippo gets a refresh/refurbishment too, it really looked run down and neglected when i went there last summer.

Reactions: Zachary
Looks like they are on a better path. Last year's food quality went downhill, but it seems like improvements are on the horizon.

The food during Winterfest was great. I’m really excited to see how Chef Denis’s plans turn out.

Fresh beef at Hungry Hippo could be HUGE. The frozen stuff they’ve had for the past few seasons has been disgusting.

This may not be of value to everyone, but I do appreciate this:

All signature burgers at Hungry Hippo are available in beef, turkey or plant-based burgers

The 2 burgers in the photo are being added to the Jukebox Diner (Pimento Cheese & the Bacon-Blue cheese),

There are 2 specialty burger being added to the Hungry Hippo in addition to the Beef Burger alternatives. The Safari Burger (jalapeno slices & onion ring) and the Swiss-Mushroom burger.

So, it seems the chef is focused on the main burger restaurants this year (long overdue: especially the Hungry Hippo). I heard that there might be some tweaks in the menus of some of the existing restaurants dealing with entrees and sides. I get the feeling that the Grain & Grill, on I-Street, won't be ready for opening day. My guess is that it will open late April or early May.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Zachary
Looks like they are on a better path. Last year's food quality went downhill, but it seems like improvements are on the horizon.
Given that the park did not have a chef for most of the 2019 season, I can see that being part of the reason the food quality dropped. Chef Dennis did not start at KD until late July / early August. There was nothing he could really change for the regular season given that he had to review the food operations as they were and see where he had/wanted to make future corrections/adjustments/enhancements. As Joe stated earlier, the first real opportunity Chef Dennis had, to start making the changes he wanted, was Winterfest.

Last edited:
The 2 burgers in the photo are being added to the Jukebox Diner (Pimento Cheese & the Bacon-Blue cheese),

There are 2 specialty burger being added to the Hungry Hippo in addition to the Beef Burger alternatives. The Safari Burger (jalapeno slices & onion ring) and the Swiss-Mushroom burger.

So, it seems the chef is focused on the main burger restaurants this year (long overdue: especially the Hungry Hippo). I heard that there might be some tweaks in the menus of some of the existing restaurants dealing with entrees and sides. I get the feeling that the Grain & Grill, on I-Street, won't be ready for opening day. My guess is that it will open late April or early May.

Focusing on the burgers is a good call IMO. I had them a couple times at jukebox/hippo last season and they were flat out awful. Worst food in the park to me.

Reactions: Nicole and Zachary
When they're done fixing the burgers, can they work on bringing back the crab cakes and get the fish dishes back to something decent.

I don’t trust KD to do seafood. At all.

If teenage crews at Capn D's or Long John Silvers can pump out cheap seafood from freezer bags, what's stopping KD?

Otherwise, I'm with you if they're going to try doing something fresh and restaurant-y unless it's Chef Dennis preparing them himself.

I definitely like that they are providing veg/vegan options now at at least some of their restaurants. I'm not actually veg or vegan, I'm just in the eating less meat category (and currently no red meat).

Reactions: Applesauce
This should be changed to 2021 now! KD has a new blog post up about Dogwood Grille and I went to it to look at the menu with trepidation, only to be happy to find that they are offering a vegan Beyond Braut:

Really glad to see KD adding vegan and vegetarian options at the various eateries.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad