Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Sep 23, 2009
I know one of the trains is named the Balmoral Castle, but what are the other two? Is one still Alpen Express?

The trains are Balmoral Castle (English - Blue), Alpen Express (Alps -Green), and Deroch Bonniga (spelling may be off .>>German -Red).

That is a great Trivia Question!!

Nora said:
The trains are Balmoral Castle (English - Blue), Alpen Express (Alps -Green), and Deroch Bonniga (spelling may be off .>>German -Red).

That is a great Trivia Question!!

Thanks Nora, had no idea what the third one was.

I wish I could claim the credit.. has to call someone on the inside track... ho ho, track... pardon the pun. ;)

Oh, well, none the less, you had the answer. Perhaps that will have to be a contest question later this season.

Oh, this is a fun question, now I've got a "mission" ;) for my next trip to the park. See, I'm thinking that maybe the train and the engine each have a name. The red German train is I think (and I'm going off the top of my head here and could very easily be mistaken) the Heidelberg Express (based on the name painted on the cars), whereas it's the engine itself that is the Der Hochbeinige (German for tall legs or long-legged one as they say it in the voiceover, named for the tall drive wheels the engine has). And I think it's the blue train's engine that is the Balmoral Castle but I can't think what the name of the train itself is (something with Heatherdowns in it, or gosh, I'm trying to jog the ol' memory banks)... but I don't think I've ever heard what the engine's name is for the Alpen Express. :huh:

Again, fun thread, I'm glad to have discovered BGWFans as I'm a longtime member of sites like TPI and BGEscape.

PS: Geez, I hit the Post Reply button and several minutes later nothing has happened ... but I'd hate to double post ... ok I've waited again and still nothing, so sorry if this posts twice.

BBW is right - also "Preussische Staatsbahn" is on the side of the train that means "Prussian State Railway". Der Hochbeinige is the German-themed train at Busch Gardens Europe, Williamsburg. A 36" gauge 4-4-0 steam locomotive built by Crown Metal Products.

Hey, I have been exploring these forums lately and I figured this thread could be a good place to start because I have something to add. I'm sure many of you have been going to Busch for a while so do any of you remember when the green train was the "Alpengeist Express"?
IMG_NEW.jpg

I never went when it was called alpeigeist express, but it sounds cool. What year was it called that. Also i got to drive the red train.

I believe that picture was from 1997 or 98 but I will make sure and edit this post if otherwise.

EDIT: 1999

IIRC it was ran like that for a good number of years. A lot of the engineers just call them by color.

Who knows why blue and red are the two main steamers?:idea:

Scoutn757 said:
IIRC it was ran like that for a good number of years. A lot of the engineers just call them by color.

Yeah i was on the tour and the blue and red are the most powerful, they said that the red trains is the toughest, or as they say it likes to run.

Balak95 said:
Scoutn757 said:

Yeah i was on the tour and the blue and red are the most powerful, they said that the red trains is the toughest, or as they say it likes to run.
Yes, outside of the capacity the green is the lightest. Without the added weight it loses traction coming around the back turn. From what I have gathered the smaller capacity is because of that.

Scoutn757 said:
Balak95 said:
Scoutn757 said:

Yes, outside of the capacity the green is the lightest. Without the added weight it loses traction coming around the back turn. From what I have gathered the smaller capacity is because of that.

Yeah all together the green is the weakest, but the best part is that you can see the back of the boile due to the smaller tender.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad