Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Jul 18, 2015
Orlando fl.
Rumors are swirling over in the land of the Buckeyes.( my fav football team). This pic has been taken at kings island.

Dj2S6lc6mB3bBakbKv8uBxNNDHzNqif2m3mqDPLE7Z4.jpg

So far, I have heard rumors ranging from giga coasters to flat rides. What do you think?

RE: Project 2017

For a Cedar Fair park to be advertising this early, I'm going to put money on it being a huge project. Given the success of Fury, I wouldn't doubt a B&M giga either.

And if it is a B&M giga, I'll see you all at Kings Island in 2017.

Two out of the three Cedar Fair park's that recieved a hyper with V-type seating have also recieved a B&M giga with 4 abreast seating. It looks like it's Kings Island's turn now. It may also be worth noting that those three parks are most notably Cedar Fair's second-tier parks now. (If you consider Cedar Point the only first-tier park now)

Reactions: Luke

I have two reasons to believe that this will be a giga coaster.

1.Kings Island definitely has the space for this type of coaster.

2. In the biography,"Dick Kinzel: Rollercoaster King of Cedar Point" by Tim O'Brien(a book that i highly recommend), it was mentioned that Cedar point was going to have ANOTHER giga coaster in 2013, but was replaced by Gatekeeper, and while we dont know what this coaster was going to be like, the plans couldve been sent to Kings Island.

I hate to be like all the nay-sayers out there, but if Kings Island does receive a massive giga coaster three years after getting a massive B&M invert, I'll be a little unhappy. I'd rather see these big new rides distributed to the Cedar Fair parks outside of Ohio and Carolina for a change. Maybe add a major coaster to your Virginia park that is looking at its eighth year without a new coaster.

I don't mean to say Cedar Fair is wrong, I just disagree with them. They're a business, and they know what they need to do to pull in the most cash. But I can't help but wish some of the non-premier parks in the chain (*cough* Kings Dominion) would receive a new coaster sooner rather than later.

It is probably time to accept that KD is at best a 3rd tier CF park, considered on par with Dorney.

Yes, that is my point. In my opinion, it would be wise to invest in a large coaster at one of these lower-tiered parks before adding more coasters to a park that just recently got one. But I understand WHY this is not the case.

Reactions: Grant

Joe said:
Yes, that is my point. In my opinion, it would be wise to invest in a large coaster at one of these lower-tiered parks before adding more coasters to a park that just recently got one. But I understand WHY this is not the case.

They invest where they make money, and sadly, Kings Dominion is not at the top priority for that.

If the park got the same annual attendance as Carowinds and Kings Islands does, you'd see more attractions being added. KD unfortunately is in a bad location compared to the other parks that easily beat them in attendance (KBF, CW, CP, KI & Carowinds all reside in major metropolitan areas).

Reactions: Mushroom and Eric

This video has popped up on Youtube today, I believe it is this video good way to show you where the location of project 2017 is, and this Youtubers(Coaster Studios) insight on this project.

Reactions: The Hessian

CW and KD need coasters. Last massive coaster added to CW was Leviathan and KD hasn't gotten a coaster since 305.

Considering CW is the highest attended park regional park in North America, I'm surprised they haven't gotten more big additions to compliment that.

netdvn said:
Considering CW is the highest attended park regional park in North America, I'm surprised they haven't gotten more big additions to compliment that.

The issue with CW is that they are gonna get the attendance regardless if they put in a new major attraction or not. They have the benefit of being located in Canada's largest city. The company doesn't have to continue to add major coasters to keep the gate numbers consistent. Even before they added Behemoth, they were #1 in seasonal park attendance and easily beating CP.

By that logic, CP and KI don't really need consistent new attractions either because they're gonna keep getting high attendance regardless of a new coaster or not.

Just give the damn coaster to KD already. We're overdue for a coaster now. Or at least give it to a park that hasn't gotten anything major in a while like Valleyfair.

netdvn said:
By that logic, CP and KI don't really need consistent new attractions either because they're gonna keep getting high attendance regardless of a new coaster or not.

No, they don't, but it's kind of expected for CP and KI to get major attractions every few years, than it is with CW. CW was the top attended seasonal park in North America long before Cedar Fair acquired it.

The last major coaster CW installed before Behemoth in 2008 was Flight Deck in 1995. They did install 4 smaller coasters in that period but that's a 13-year gap between major roller coasters. Imagine Cedar Fair waiting 13 years to install major coasters in CP and KI. The locals wouldn't be able to handle that.

Reactions: Mushroom

Eric said:
This video has popped up on Youtube today, I believe it is this video good way to show you where the location of project 2017 is, and this Youtubers(Coaster Studios) insight on this project.

Just watched this video.

Not sure why they are thinking this is a flat ride package.

This is definitely gonna be a coaster.

A quick update, Kings Island has been posting pictures of their log flume on snapchat, with words like "cya" and "farewell", this log flume is right next to the "falling trees" sign. I do believe this is going to be the end of the log flume and the beginning of a new coaster.

While not surprising, it's a little dissapointing that CF is unwilling to design new coasters around existing attractions and would rather bulldoze anything in the general vicinity.

I wonder what they will do about comparisons to SoB. Clearly this will be seen as a replacement by many folks.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad