Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

Nicole

and Team / Co
Administrator
Jul 22, 2013
Arlington, VA
I wasn't exactly sure where to put this, and to be honest it isn't even a fully-formed thought. I'm still pondering this a bit, but I tend to think out loud, when I am analyzing something. So, please bear with me.

Anyway, my brief exchange with Joe about the "ominous" music in Congo got me thinking about how the parks use music to create atmosphere. It occurred to me that the music playing is possibly more important to me than the decorations. I know a lot of attention is paid to the landscaping and architecture, and other decorative arts on this forum, but I think the sound effects are really critical to good theming as well. And I am not referring to the choice of German music in Germany, and the like. I am thinking of how the music makes you feel, and how that adds to your experience.

As I said to Joe, I really liked the ominous music. I think it was especially effective on Tomb Raider. I think FoF used to use white noise really effectively, as well. Many years ago, they would play "music" in the launch area almost like a rave. Some of the ride operators were really good at stopping and starting it to enhance the feel of being on another world.

I think KD also does a great job of using music to create an eerie atmosphere during the Haunt. Especially in some of the scare zones, the music really added to the creepiness and put me that much more on edge.

I think the most effective use of music I have experienced, however, was at Cedar Point. The music they play in the station for Millennium Force really freaks me out. At first I couldn't figure out why I was so anxious, by the time I boarded the coaster. I think it was on our third ride that I realized that the music was raising my stress level. I know I am more sensitive to music that most people, but I have to believe their choice in sound effects was not accidental.

I have never had a similar experience at either BG park. I think that is probably appropriate, however, given the demographics. The music is well-themed, but it generally upbeat. It certainly never creates an eerie or anxious atmosphere for me. It struck me as an interesting contrast. As I said, not a bad thing, but certainly a different approach.

Anyway, those are my rambling thoughts on music and theming.

Nic said:
It occurred tome that the music playing is possibly more important to me than the decorations.

I couldn't agree more. Atmospheric sounds and music totally completes a theme for me. I think it is one of the most important themeing elements in any park or themed environment.

Reactions: Nicole
Nic said:
Best sound effects: Moaning Myrtle in the women's bathroom in Hogsmeade at IoA!

I heard her giggling and crying in the mens room there too!

A lot of men had a WTF look on their faces when her voice started playing. I'm guessing they didn't know who she was. It was hilarious!

Reactions: SWStevo and Nicole
Nic said:
As I said to Joe, I really liked the ominous music.  I think it was especially effective on Tomb Raider.

Nic,

Did you ever notice they played "The Host of Seraphim" by Dead Can Dance at Tomb Raider? Not sure if they still do it for The Crypt but it was weird hearing DCD in an amusement park. I'm a huge fan of the band so I enjoyed it!

Reactions: SWStevo and Nicole
I totally missed that! How cool. I will listen for it next time I am there to see if they still play it.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad