Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Feb 8, 2016
Serge Rivera resigns

Iiiin the circle... The circle, of CEOs...

Reactions: dsdl
Last edited:
Is there some reason Scott Ross can’t just take the CEO position? All the reporting seems to say that Hill Path is pulling all the strings anyway—why do we keep appointing figurehead CEOs if they’re not going to be given any autonomy?

I think SEAS has been on a good path—the constant CEO churn is just embarrassing though.

Is there some reason Scott Ross can’t just take the CEO position? All the reporting seems to say that Hill Path is pulling all the strings anyway—why do we keep appointing figurehead CEOs if they’re not going to be given any autonomy?

I agree. There must be some reason this hasn't happened. Probably some regulations about CEOs and conflicts of interest with other holdings hillpath has or some blah blah blah

Reactions: warfelg and Zachary
I agree. There must be some reason this hasn't happened. Probably some regulations about CEOs and conflicts of interest with other holdings hillpath has or some blah blah blah

Well in that case, I’ll take a third of Rivera’s old salary and will happily rubber stamp anything Hill Path wants all day, every day. Solved! No more CEO churn! ?

Well in that case, I’ll take a third of Rivera’s old salary and will happily rubber stamp anything Hill Path wants all day, every day. Solved! No more CEO churn! ?

I think it's easy to say this but harder to actually do the role if you have any sort of conscious.

For instance, I might speculate that the "last straw" was the furlough.

Rivera would have been the person to order that; but it's reasonable to speculate that he may have wanted to explore other options.

Assuming hillpath ordered him to execute the furlough; being forced to fire 90% of your staff would be hard for any person to take. Even if it's only temporary.

I'd guess the issue with all the departures is something isn't being communicated during the hiring process about how to operate or something like that. For all we know in this case, maybe they asked him to take a massive pay cut and he refused.

All in all, I do think it's an issue to be doing better (until this problem of COVID) but continually treading through CEO's. That tells me that the boards plan is working, but they aren't hiring the right person to go along with the plan.

This is wild. I know that SeaWorld is particular to this issue, but during this pandemic aren't CEO's everywhere stepping down left and right? Disney, Bill Gates, I just keep seeing it everywhere in the news.

Bill gates hasn't been a CEO for a long time.

Reactions: Zachary
Bill gates hasn't been a CEO for a long time.

"Groupon CEO, Bill Gates, other execs and CEOs departing in..."

Gates stepped down from his position, my mistake, one of the articles I recently read about CEO's stepping down in mass just sort of lumped Gates into the headline.

January 2020 alone set a record for the most CEO departures in the US in one month — 219 in all. The list goes on and on since then, Altria, Disney, Groupon, Mastercard.

"The great CEO exodus of 2020"

That much turnover at the top would typically indicate of the following:
  1. A hostile work environment dealing with the board or elements of the board
  2. A shady strategy or expectations of doing questionable activities
  3. Board incompetence or inability to work together - e.g. different direction from members or parts of the board often outside normal board meetings

Reactions: Applesauce
The more I think about it, the more I honestly believe that Rivera probably had Scott Ross and the board breathing down his neck. They need to actually give the CEO some liberty and creative control in the future if they want to retain one. Reilly would have been perfect; he's been with the company a long time and loves the parks, but nope, he wasn’t good enough either and now he’s at Palace.

Also, this is the EXACT SAME REASON Antorcha gave for his resignation. “According to the release, Rivera said his resignation was due to disagreements over the board’s involvement in the decision making at SeaWorld.”

It’s obvious Scott Ross just wants someone to be a figurehead for the company and his personal servant and these executives are not going to take it. There needs to be some major self reflection in the upper management of this company. The animal ambassadors are so passionate and dedicated, but as an outsider the corporate structure seems beyond toxic to me.

/end rant

Reactions: J.J.
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad