Movies

Login or Register to Hide This Ad

Lord Robert

"Not pet. Wingman."
Apr 18, 2014
Fun fact: Elsa was going to be the villain originally back when Disney was developing the movie in the late 2000's. Of course development hell struck and it wasn't until the writers had the great idea of making Elsa and Anna sisters, and having the former become a sympathetic character for the audience to latch onto (Beast from Beauty and the Beast is an example of this). Plus it's refreshing for Disney to make a Queen character who is not evil for a change.

Mar 16, 2016
Fun fact: Elsa was going to be the villain originally back when Disney was developing the movie in the late 2000's. Of course development hell struck and it wasn't until the writers had the great idea of making Elsa and Anna sisters, and having the former become a sympathetic character for the audience to latch onto (Beast from Beauty and the Beast is an example of this). Plus it's refreshing for Disney to make a Queen character who is not evil for a change.
The issue is that they didn't know haw to resolve the conflict that way. There was little natural ending with it setup as Elsa as the villain.

Reactions: Applesauce

Lord Robert

"Not pet. Wingman."
Apr 18, 2014
The issue is that they didn't know haw to resolve the conflict that way. There was little natural ending with it setup as Elsa as the villain.
Exactly, with Elsa being the way she was written in the final movie makes her and Anna's conflict a lot more interesting than it could've been if she remained the bad guy. I for one am very excited for the trailer tomorrow, I still love the first movie despite Moana being my favorite of the CGI Disney movies so far.

Applesauce

未来の月
May 22, 2010
Virginia Beach
The other issue they ran into, was when they wrote Let it Go originally for Elsa, it made her too sympathetic as a villain. And they weren't quite into making villains being morally grey yet.

I think it would have been interesting as a story to have Elsa be a villain, but like Lord Robert said it's nice not to have a queen be a villain. Plus I think Hans did a pretty good bait and switch as a villain, and considering the original source material it was a mirror that was kinda the true evil. (It was the broken shards landing in people's eyes that made them bad, combined with the snow queen) it was nice to see that Hans was the reflective piece who said and did what people wanted or didn't want to hear, until he made his move.

Last edited:

Lord Robert

"Not pet. Wingman."
Apr 18, 2014
I like the fact that the Frozen II trailer is still quite a mystery but I am excited about the "four spirits representing the elements" part of the story. Speaking of movies, the official theatrical poster for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is gorgeous!

Nicole

Administrator
Jul 22, 2013
Arlington, VA
It is Tarantino, so we can probably assume it will be casual brutality strung together by gratuitous vulgarity.

Also, in reference to the resolution to Frozen, they relied on a cheap deus ex machina to achieve their Disney ending. And the prince was an obvious villain from the beginning. The parents were pretty bad, as well.

Reactions: Zimmy

Lord Robert

"Not pet. Wingman."
Apr 18, 2014
According to the early reviews from the Cannes Film Festival, this movie is actually one of Quentin Tarantino's most "restrained" films he's ever done since Jackie Brown. Which is interesting because "restrained" isn't usually his thing.

Oct 7, 2011
I always assumed Disney created Frozen by taking the original Winter Queen story and asking, “How can we re-plot this to be as similar as possible to The Lion King, without losing a base of acolytes who will swear up and down that they’re nothing alike? In fact, how can we make the movies’ two respective hero-in-self-imposed-exile marquee songs relate largely the same misbegotten but wildly catchy notion, which they end up bitterly regretting later? Could we get away with that?”

On a semi related note, I jumped for joy when SNL did that sketch with (the real) James Cameron enthusiastically asking (the real) Lorne Michaels if he noticed that Avatar duplicated basically the entire plot skeleton of Three Amigos. At that time, I thought I was the only person who saw it for what it was. Avatar isn’t given nearly the specific recognition it deserves for carrying on the Seven Samurai - Magnificent Seven - Three Amigos lineage. Innnnnnnn spaaaaaaace.

Sigh. I’ll see Frozen 2. I invested too much time watching the first one with my kids, and I’m hoping Olaf continues joking about his own death. Good fun.

Reactions: UncleDuncan
Apr 9, 2013
Moana is a more complete story. The first time I saw Frozen I finished the film thinking, wait, what? Coco is probably my favorite of all the newer Pixar films.

Reactions: Pretzel Kaiser
Mar 16, 2016
I don't get the lack of Tangled love, to be honest. Although it bothered me that she didn't wear shoes.
I think they were using that as a way to either (1) express her personality of being a 'free spirit' or (2) it was a subtle way of being controlled, no shoes meaning she shouldn't have gotten far if she got out.

Login or Register to Hide This Ad