DarKoaster or Drachen Spire? Which one is more exciting?

• DarKoaster

Votes: 40 67.8%
  • Drachen Spire

Votes: 19 32.2%

• Total voters
Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

CoasterAuditor

Theme parks are cool
Jul 5, 2017
Richmond, VA
Alright I want to see the forums optics on our excitement levels between the two upcoming coaster projects @Zachary has been hard at work keeping track of for everyone. Which one is more exciting to you? Why? I mean we're looking at a completely new Oktoberfest basically in the next two years from a park dynamic standpoint. Which one are you more likely to ride on most BGW visits?

I have no idea. I think one is a great addition and the other is a dumb addition that will also have a 100 mph launch with an ejector hill. Both are kind of redundant to another ride in the park.

I think they are both seem pretty meh (hopefully, I will be pleasantly surprised), but at this point I will take almost anything over a one-trick launched spike. Honestly, BGW, move past the notion of shooting trains up poles.

Also, there is something to be said for a dark ride coaster that could have some interesting theming or at least a cool lighting package. Catapult in Hastings was fantastic.

Last edited:
DarKoaster easily for me. Especially depending on being a touch snappier. If it goes 40-50 rather than 35-40 it’s going to be a sleeper like InvadR.

Drachen Spire reminds me of the Superman launch coasters. Just about speed and height. The fun of the coaster is navigating a layout at speed.

DarKoaster easily for me. Especially depending on being a touch snappier. If it goes 40-50 rather than 35-40 it’s going to be a sleeper like InvadR.

Drachen Spire reminds me of the Superman launch coasters. Just about speed and height. The fun of the coaster is navigating a layout at speed.
Snappier? That Transition into the overbook is pretty snappy, plus DarKoaster is going to be a family coaster in a box. I'm not saying it won't be fun, but it won't get my adrenaline pumping like Drachen Spire will. Incomplete, yes, am I mad about it, yes, but, like I said, it's a 40mph launch versus a 100mph launch, and a 30 ft drop versus a 355ft drop. If DarKoaster gets themed, then DarKoaster for sure. But it's SeaWorld in 2022, so...

I'm more excited about DarKoaster; given that it is a good continuation of the DarKasle theming. I am not a shuttle coaster person, so I doubt I will even ride DrachenSpire when I visit.

I think they are both seem pretty meh (hopefully, I will be pleasantly surprised), but at this point I will take almost anything over a one-trick launched spike. Honestly, BGW, move past the notion of shooting trains up poles.

Also, there is something to be said for a dark ride coaster that could have some interesting theming or at least a cool lighting package. Catapult in Hastings was fantastic.
This. All of this. Drachen Spire is so meh I can't get even pretend to enjoy it with so many wonderful options and models out there they went with this. And if they do DarKastle part 2 right, it could be so much fun. It COULD be atrocious, but given the higher ceiling of outcomes, Darkoaster all day.

A 355 foot “drop” that is a spiral and done backwards will never be as a fun as a true, straight, forwards-facing drop. That’s just a fact. Drachen spire will only exist for marketing and merchandise sales.
It’s sad to think that is legitimately how “uninspired” it is. Whereas Pantheon is actually innovating and exciting, Spire almost seems like it’s going up just to be like “haha we have a taller ride than Intimidator now.” It’s like good job I’ll ride it like 6-10 times a year versus like 50+ laps on I305 a year.

Spire looks like doodoo. Literally no difference between a long straightaway launch that goes fast, just does it vertically to where you have no real good perception of how high you are going. Flip the direction, and this ride instantly becomes interesting and way better.

DarKoaster I honestly have high hopes for. The big turn off with theming is the additional investment necessary, yet they already have a whole castle facade and interior queue area to work with here. It's too good of an opportunity to make another ride that stands out in the mid-atlantic but for a totally different reason than Pantheon. To really cement the park as having high class both thrill and family attractions.

my thing is with darkoaster, they might actually be able to get some very nice in ride theming due to the money saved on having an existing building, queue, and station. this could push it into the "i need to ride this when i go to bgw" unlike spire

A 355 foot “drop” that is a spiral and done backwards will never be as a fun as a true, straight, forwards-facing drop. That’s just a fact. Drachen spire will only exist for marketing and merchandise sales.
Unlikely the drop will get anywhere near 355’, and definitely not from the back. Agree this ride is largely a marketing gimmick, that unfortunately will preclude future tall rides at BGW.

Yeah thinking through this DarKoaster is probably honestly more interesting since it gives us a bike coaster in the VA collection and makes great use of the former DarKastle space. Honestly if the line is manageable it’s likely I’d hit it every visit. It would be skipped if the line was more than 30-45 with the 10 seat trains but based on my ride on Wave Breaker and Hagrids I like the Intamin bike seat configuration and if it’s themed well it would be a must ride period.

I feel like Spire will always have a huge line and will be a ride I hit once max on a visit unless there is absolutely no line or even skip it if the park is busy enough. Imagine a 350’ ride looming that might be one of the “passable” attractions in the park. But we will see I mean hopefully it’ll be fun as hell in the end. At least it’ll have Pantheons restraints.

Reactions: PNDS
Both rides are pretty short, so I'll pick the giga over the bike coaster in a box with one semi-snappy transition. I will say I am glad to have both, but would rather have the investment of one be put into the other, to make a complete package.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad