Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Sep 25, 2009
Some thoughts on the 2009 version - it seems like basically the same show as last year, except for the segment where the drummers come out and do a solo bit - last year they rolled out a cart and used it sort of like a see-saw, with one drummer balancing on it while he and the others "played" on assorted parts of the cart. This year, they roll out two carts that actually have drums of some sort (I hope to get a closer look today) mounted in them, and they position the carts parallel with the edge of the stage and stand behind them to play (as they do for the "cleaver" segment of the show). It's not as visually dynamic (at least for non-drummers in the audience!), but it does allow the show drummers to really strut their stuff!

RE: Monster Stomp Revamped

My fiancé's favorite part was the skeleton break-dancers. When you check out the show again could you update us here. It felt like the music was way too loud when the werewolves were tap dancing... to the point that I couldn't even here the tapping. Just let us know if they've adjusted the volume, or if that's the way it's going to be all HOS.

The drumming part was pretty ridiculous, especially when they were rotating in and out and maintaining the beat. They did a really good job.

Chris said:
My fiancé's favorite part was the skeleton break-dancers. When you check out the show again could you update us here. It felt like the music was way too loud when the werewolves were tap dancing... to the point that I couldn't even here the tapping. Just let us know if they've adjusted the volume, or if that's the way it's going to be all HOS.

The drumming part was pretty ridiculous, especially when they were rotating in and out and maintaining the beat. They did a really good job.

Yep, the volume was still up there. I sat in the fourth row on the left side, and the taps were a bit louder, but not much. I now have (closer) video posted on my page of the "Carts" and "Knives" segments of MSR, as well as a video from Frankenrock (from the back side, will work on getting a good spot at the "front" this week).

I usually don't go to see any of the Howl-O-Scream shows intentionally. I usually would only see them by accident by eating in Das Festhaus at a certain time. This year I'll try and see some of them because BBW is closed and I'll have more time.

I thought that it wasn't as good as last year.
The lead girl was different, and she wasn't a good singer, so it made the lead male's voice sound bad when he in reality is really good.
I didn't like all of the drumming, I thought that the show could've used less of that.
All in all, great show, minus what I described.

I agree with the fact that the girl couldn't sing (sorry, it's true), however I loved the drumming, the more the better.

Monster Stomp Revamped (Howl-O-Scream ? to 2011)

image000eh.png

The changes I noticed:

-Did not removed the CF set like they did last year. Just covered over it with fabric. Left the tables that attach to the stage for CF. They had been removed last year.
-Utilized 2 archways from Enchanted Laboratory in the set (very cool).
-Eliminated the "silent movie" intro.
-The coffin drumming pre-show takes place on stage now and actually flows right into the opening number.
-Added a "red-alert, lock down, alarm" bit at the beginning, which was super-annoying.
-Eliminated the werewolf tap dancing number and replaced it with 2 zombies tap dancing to "Walk this Way." (I actually got a good laugh at something in this part, but I won't spoil it.)
-The male-only and female-only dance numbers were swapped in order with the male portion going first now. The male lead does not sing during this part now, they just straight up play the GNR version of "Welcome to the Jungle." The "Foxy Lady" into to the female number where they come out in the robes has been eliminated.
-The drumming segments were pretty much unchanged except for some very slight nuances.

IMO the male and female leads were weaker than last year:

The male lead (James) is an awesome guy, super-talented, and we've seen him in tons of shows there, but never heard him sing before (always just been a dancer). He did OK, but was weaker than the leads the last 2 years. Also, not having him sing during the "Welcome to the Jungle" part really hurts in defining the "character" when you see him again at the end. You're not really invested in him.

The female lead was also weaker than the past 2 years. I don't recognize her from any other shows. Also (and this is really petty, but...) she needs to be wearing a corset or something to cover her midriff during the "Barracuda" segment. She just doesn't have the figure to pull off the two piece outfit and it's really, really noticeable.

To summarize: if this was the first time I saw the show, I would have loved it. But in comparison to the past two years, it's weaker than that. 2009 was the best version of this show IMO.

Those are my thoughts. But it was just a rehearsal, so maybe it'll be a little better next week. ;)

RE: Monster Stomp Revamped 2011

I'm going to check out the show Friday when I come, hopefully they'll replace the background.

Shafor said:
Those are my thoughts. But it was just a rehearsal, so maybe it'll be a little better next week. ;)

I'm hoping they were running through with the "B-team" and hadn't finished putting the set together. Some of these changes... I don't think I like them. I loved that movie opening. I thought it was goofy, but it still set the stage a bit. I wonder why they'd get rid of some of the singing or the "Foxy Lady" part. I'm a big believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." Hopefully they'll have an early show on Friday so I can see for myself.

^ do you really think they would wait this long and not have the set show ready....I'm pretty sure what you see is what you get....and it was just the first show it's bound to get better...

ivybrit said:
^ do you really think they would wait this long and not have the set show ready....I'm pretty sure what you see is what you get....and it was just the first show it's bound to get better...

No, I don't think they'd wait, but I wouldn't think they'd get so lazy as to just cover the old set with fabric either, so we'll see what's up on Friday.

Reactions: Haberdasher1973

most of the set was removed....just a bit remains and is covered like you said. I also think it will remain covered for the entirety of the show

Piggybacking off of Shafor's post my thoughts, as person who just saw the show for the first time yesterday

Shafor said:
-The coffin drumming pre-show takes place on stage now and actually flows right into the opening number.
I tended to like all these drumming sections better then the classic rock sections. Don't get me wrong the performers are quite talented.
Shafor said:
-Added a "red-alert, lock down, alarm" bit at the beginning, which was super-annoying.
Agreed
-Eliminated the werewolf tap dancing number and replaced it with 2 zombies tap dancing to "Walk this Way." (I actually got a good laugh at something in this part, but I won't spoil it.)
-The male-only and female-only dance numbers were swapped in order with the male portion going first now. The male lead does not sing during this part now, they just straight up play the GNR version of "Welcome to the Jungle." The "Foxy Lady" into to the female number where they come out in the robes has been eliminated.
-The drumming segments were pretty much unchanged except for some very slight nuances.

IMO the male and female leads were weaker than last year:

The male lead (James) is an awesome guy, super-talented, and we've seen him in tons of shows there, but never heard him sing before (always just been a dancer). He did OK, but was weaker than the leads the last 2 years. Also, not having him sing during the "Welcome to the Jungle" part really hurts in defining the "character" when you see him again at the end. You're not really invested in him.

The female lead was also weaker than the past 2 years. I don't recognize her from any other shows. Also (and this is really petty, but...) she needs to be wearing a corset or something to cover her midriff during the "Barracuda" segment. She just doesn't have the figure to pull off the two piece outfit and it's really, really noticeable.

To summarize: if this was the first time I saw the show, I would have loved it. But in comparison to the past two years, it's weaker than that. 2009 was the best version of this show IMO.

[/quote]

This was

Piggybacking off of Shafor's post my thoughts, as person who just saw the show for the first time yesterday

Shafor said:
I tended to like all these drumming sections better then the classic rock sections. Don't get me wrong the performers are talented, but it was loud and didn't add anything to the show.
Shafor said:
Agreed.

Shafor said:
Also (and this is really petty, but...) she needs to be wearing a corset or something to cover her midriff during the "Barracuda" segment. She just doesn't have the figure to pull off the two piece outfit and it's really, really noticeable.
Yeah, I noticed that as well

Shafor said:

Love It? I though it was kind of Meh. I didn't really catch a plot with the two main characters (did I miss something?), but then again I tend to look at these show as sort of a [/code]one act play which might be wrong way to view it.

It just hit me- the lead skeleton wasn't on a wire this year, was he? That was one of those cool surprises in previous years- he jumps up and then doesn't come back down. Also, I 100% agree with Shafor about 2009 being the best year. Watch these after you see the 2011 version and you'll understand.

Monster Stomp Revamped Part 1, Part 2, Part 3

Really, MSR 2009 had it all: A great (and large) cast, a great set, the best drum and knife routine, the best intro, everything. Please Busch Gardens, bring the glory days back. I give 2009 a 10/10 but what I saw yesterday was only maybe a 5 or 6.

RE: Monster Stomp Revamped (Howl-O-Scream 2011)

i agree that the lead female was weak(really not that good) but was glad to see a change in the male lead whoever it is

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad