Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
I guess this should go in this thread if not a Mod can move it, anyway:

I was walking to the exit of the Festhaus after the last showing of Entwined, and guess who walks beside me in the other direction towards the stage? None other than the lead singer for the Killarney Village Band/ Italian Ensemble! So I stop immediately look back, and she walks up to the exit of the Entwined stage where Jack(acrobatics guy with the goose) meets her. They hug and then Jack says "How are you?" and then I couldn't here the rest of the conversation, but I would bet it was about her quitting and everything. I just thought I should mention that.

Yes I seen her too and she is happy she has moved on, and already has new prospect and she told my friend Thanks for you guys voice about with MIU and what's going on. So glad she has already moved on, and great job for this post thread I believe you all helped even some other staff see that what's happening hurt the performers but fans like us. Great job Zachary for helping get this out there for us and others and everyone one like chickenking for going to sources.

k8meeder said:
They have chosen to value money over the guest experience. They have chosen mediocrity. They have chosen to allow the declining standards of the park to take them down a notch, from one of the most beautiful family THEME parks this country has to offer... To just another amusement park. Just another place with roller coasters. There is a reason people fly from all over the world to see Disney World. And it's not just the rides. IT IS THE EXPERIENCE. And that starts with what happens BEHIND the scenes. That starts with how you train and value your employees. It starts with a drive for EXCELLENCE, instead of PROFIT. When you are excellent, money is a by-product. When your sole purpose is profit... The guest experience WILL suffer.

Thank you for saying this, these thoughts were in my heart as well.
As a former MIU musician, I was horrified to get real-time texts about our tuba player being fired, followed by the news that some sort of meeting would be held, and shortly thereafter texts from multiple performers who chose to walk out. I can't help but wonder what exactly was the straw that broke the camel's back and caused this mass exodus.

I was a part of MIU for 2011 only; I wasn't there for 2012 or this year. But many of the people I'd worked with were still in MIU. I can say with certainty that the performers who chose to walk out were not just disgruntled or jaded.
Walk-outs included adult professional musicians who have performed for BGW for 5+ years.
Former military band members.
Young college students trying to earn money with their skills and get a leg up in the industry.
Talented and responsible people ranging in age from 18 to 55+ whom I have personally witnessed demonstrating professionalism, loyalty, and positive enthusiasm in the workplace.

I am embarrassed and ashamed for BGW, that professionals like these would walk out on the park.

Word travels fast in the entertainment industry. Former BGW entertainers can be found currently working for Disney, various cruise lines, theaters, and other major entertainment venues throughout the country. And MANY have become educators at the K-12 and college levels.

Can a former BGW employee such as myself recommend BGW to someone looking to gain entertainment experience in a professional environment?
Would a music teacher be able to recommend a summer with BGW to their students as a great opportunity, a rewarding experience?

I think not.

To Party Rocker-the first long time employee fired this year was a trombone player back in May. When the tuba player was fired it left just four active instrumentalists in a show written for eight. Those that walked out decided that the 'product' was no longer viable to put in front of a paying audience. The gradual slide to using recorded music in the park has resulted in the number of live musicians decreasing from a high of 90 in the early 2000s to under 20 this year. Trying to pass off a show with half the musicians of a 'live' show coming from a recording is deplorable.

NTOTC said:
To Party Rocker-the first long time employee fired this year was a trombone player back in May. When the tuba player was fired it left just four active instrumentalists in a show written for eight. Those that walked out decided that the 'product' was no longer viable to put in front of a paying audience. The gradual slide to using recorded music in the park has resulted in the number of live musicians decreasing from a high of 90 in the early 2000s to under 20 this year. Trying to pass off a show with half the musicians of a 'live' show coming from a recording is deplorable.

Yes but I was referencing what happened recently, not anything to do earlier in the year.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad