Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

Jonesta6

Glumble
Feb 14, 2019
I guess it looked like the ride was very much powered and in regular operating mode from what I saw, figured momentum would carry the ride forwards a bit with the e-stop but the question would be if the internal gears would shift in a way to bring the ride to a safe stop relatively quickly?

horsesboy

DarKoaster stalker
Advisory Panel
Silver Donor
Jun 16, 2013
I don't think it's an instanious stop. I witnessed an Estop on Der Wirbelwind a couple years back and it took almost two whole revolutions fo it to come to a complete stop and that was early into the cycle I would assume that an estop on this would take a simular amount of time.

Jonesta6

Glumble
Feb 14, 2019
Hence my question about gears on rides like this - would they be disengaged altogether allowing for free spin, like a car in neutral, or would it be closer to coasting a car in gear?

Gavin

🟥🟧🟨🟩🟦🟪
Administrator
Sep 27, 2009
Skyland Estates, Virginia
While I can’t say for this specific model, Scrambler at KD “downshifts” the motor and applies air brakes to stop. It’s set to stop within 1.8 rotations with a full load. The ride doesn’t have an E-Stop at all, just a On/Off key switch, a Ride Start button, and a Dead Man Run button.

Reactions: Nicole and Jonesta6

Jonesta6

Glumble
Feb 14, 2019
Dead man run, like a dead man brake which applies the brakes if you let go of it?

Jul 14, 2019
Hence my question about gears on rides like this - would they be disengaged altogether allowing for free spin, like a car in neutral, or would it be closer to coasting a car in gear?
even if you could instanenously stop rides like these it would be a bad idea. because the cables/chains are not fixed if the center stopped the riders/cars would not and would wrap/flop around which would cause an even bigger mess.

Jonesta6

Glumble
Feb 14, 2019
even if you could instanenously stop rides like these it would be a bad idea. because the cables/chains are not fixed if the center stopped the riders/cars would not and would wrap/flop around which would cause an even bigger mess.

That's not where I was going with it - a gear engaged but not under engine load would act as a brake in that it would slow the ride down quickly but it's not the same thing as suddenly stopping where the whiplash you described would occur.

Ziva

fancy cafe latte
May 30, 2011
I saw on Reddit (huge grain of salt) that the ride operator let a rider leave the stroller on the ride platform, presumably thinking that it was out of the way. The stroller was thankfully empty!

ControlsEE

I probably should be working...
Oct 2, 2018
And to think my worst stroller accident was when a guest did not latch the gate on the Blue train and it rolled off at tweedside crossing...

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad