Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

Merboy

Resident Sea Monster
Oct 25, 2009
Raleigh, NC
So I'm watching SNL and this skit mentions Colonial Williamsburg. Not the most favorable nod but thought I'd start a thread for other such recognitions. Remember when J.K. Rowling acknowledged on Pottermore that the MACUSA was once based out of Williamsburg? That was nice.

So I'm watching SNL and this skit mentions Colonial Williamsburg. Not the most favorable nod but thought I'd start a thread for other such recognitions. Remember when J.K. Rowling acknowledged on Pottermore that the MACUSA was once based out of Williamsburg? That was nice.

one of the SNL writers went to Norfolk Collegiate. A couple of years ago they did a skit involving the Virginia Zoo and Booker T Washington high school. I am not sure there is correlation here, but it would make sense.

Reactions: jornor and Shane
Yep. For those who haven't read the novel, it mentions that Jurassic Park's designer and operations chief, John Arnold (Ray Arnold in the film, portrayed by Samuel L. Jackson), was a theme park industry veteran, and one of the other parks Arnold is said to have built was The Old Country in Williamsburg, Virginia.

one of the SNL writers went to Norfolk Collegiate. A couple of years ago they did a skit involving the Virginia Zoo and Booker T Washington high school. I am not sure there is correlation here, but it would make sense.

Jay Pharoah (a former SNL cast member) graduated from Indian River High School in Chesapeake. He developed a character based on the principal there. There were a few skits that aired which took place at or mentioned local landmarks. Here's one the zoo one:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: jornor
A) That 100% sounds like Booker T.

B) I wish we had hippos. :(
(Our new reptile house is rad though)

There was some book my mom was reading once that mentioned the Apollo’s Chariot Fabio goose incident, although they said it was at a Disney park rather than Busch

Speaking of SNL I vaguely recall a skit rerun from the 90s with Molly Shannon talking about an ex-boyfriend from Virginia who turned out to be gay and she said, "I think he's a dancer at Busch Gardens now". Or something similar. Oh and Craig Ferguson's standup special Does This Need to Be Said also mentions the Fabio goose incident. He jokes about the astronomical odds of the situation.

I just watched that episode Sunday afternoon. I was taken aback by that skit a bit and even more surprised with the Colonial Williamsburg name drop.

For what it is worth, in 1999 I had a friend come down and visit from Toronto. (we met online) It is worth noting that the only places in the States she had visited before were Orlando, Vegas, and Detroit. When we first started talking I mentioned where I was from and she asked if it was near the 'Burg. When I told her, "yes," she said that CW was one of the places she wanted to visit in the states. So when she came down, it was #1 on our list. Sadly it was late December and we could not go to BGW.

The point is, CW is not an unheard of place.

The USA tv series Covert Affairs had an episode that took place at Camp Peary and the Williamsburg area.

Also I can't believe people haven't mentioned that Turn had episodes in both Williamsburg and Yorktown.

From what I recall, yea, mich of the last season of Turn (about Washington’s Culper Spy Ring) was actually filmed in Yorktown, about the battle of Yorktown.
Also, the fantastic HBO series, John Adams was filmed extensively (over 100 days) in Colonial Williamsburg (set as Boston with the help of CGI) and areas around Richmond farmland.
IE-First episode used the gaol (jail) for the British soldiers of the Boston Massacre of whom John Adams was their lawyer. The street around Bruton Parish, The yard in front of the hospital as a winter time military encampment, and more. You would just notice sail ships and the harbor in the background at times instead of...Colonial Williamsburg.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad