Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
May 3, 2011
Richmond, Va
Huffington Post said:
For Matt Ouimet, the president and CEO of Cedar Fair Entertainment Co., a typical day at the office really is a walk in the park.

"To be honest, I don't think I'd like this job if I was forced to be cooped up in an office. When you work in the amusement park business, you have to see where things are working and you have to see where they're not," Ouimet admitted in a recent phone interview. "I couldn't be one of those guys who'd try and run a place like Knott's Berry Farm just by sitting in his office and working off a spreadsheet. I'm sure there are others who can do that, but I'm not one of them. I probably would not be as good at this job if I couldn't regularly get out in the parks."

Mind you, given the 11 amusement parks that Matt rides herd on are spread across the United States and Canada, staying on top of what's going on at each of these Cedar Fair properties involves an awful lot of travel.

2014-07-29-Ouimet2-thumb.jpg

"Take -- for example -- how I'll be spending the next two weeks. I leave Knott's on Sunday -- actually Monday morning -- and then I start my road trip. I'm going to Toronto to see our new dark ride, Wonder Mountain's Guardian. This attraction actually has a lot in common with Disney World's new Seven Dwarfs Mine Train ride. It's a coaster track, though Wonder Mountain's Guardian has the longest interactive screen in the world which features a gaming element where you then try to get the top score," Ouimet explained. "And by the time I get back to Cedar Point toward the end of this month, l will have managed to have hit all of our parks -- and most of that is good."

Of course, one of the biggest challenges that Matt faces is recognizing that each of these amusement parks is different. That they all have their own personalities.

"That's one of the main reasons Cedar Fair has different names on all of our parks. We don't try and put them under one big brand. They're all unique in their own special ways," Ouimet stated. "Take -- for example -- Knott's Berry Farm which is right in the middle of one of the most competitive theme park markets in the world. Within 60 miles of Knott's, you have LEGOLAND California, you have SeaWorld San Diego, you have Universal Studios Hollywood and you have the Disneyland Resort. So in the Southern California market, it's really important to figure out who you are and then be extremely disciplined about it."

2014-07-29-Ouimet4-thumb.jpg

"I mean, think about it. Knott's Berry Farm can't be about the movies. And we can't be about fantasy. We have to be who we are," Matt continued. "So when it comes to Knott's, we want to be that place where having fun is still fun. Or as Raffi Kaprelyan -- the Vice President and General Manager at Knott's Berry Farm -- says 'where people can still have organically grown fun.' We want to be the theme park in this market that's uncomplicated, affordable, familiar but still has a few surprises."

"So that's our goal with Knott's Berry Farm. To occupy that space in the highly competitive Southern California marketplace, to be comfortable with that space and not try and be one of those other guys. One huge advantage we have in this market is that people still have a strong affinity for what the Knott's family created," Ouimet said. "So I hope that -- with the respectful upgrades & improvements we've made to Ghost Town, the Timber Mountain Log Ride, the Calico Mine Train and Camp Snoopy over the past three years -- we wind up being known as the community park, not the corporate park. And to some degree, I think being a little smaller has probably worked to our advantage with Knott's."

It's worth noting here that all of the changes that Matt & his team have made since he came on board at the Cedar Fair Entertainment Co. in June of 2011 have had a significant impact on Knott's Berry Farm's bottom line. Just last year, this Buena Park institution had the most successful year (from both an attendance standpoint as well as a profitability point-of-view) ever. And given that Knott's is the second most profitable park in the Cedar Fair system, that's a really nice feather in Ouimet's cap.

"And the good news is we're not done with Knott's. We've got a five year plan in place for this theme park. And I'm hoping that -- with Cedar Fair's help -- I'll then have the privilege of turning that into a ten year plan," Matt enthused. "It's not exactly a closely guarded secret that -- when it comes to Knott's -- we're trying to figure out what to do with the area where Kingdom of the Dinosaurs & Knott's Bear-y Tales used to be located. Assuming that the Wonder Mountain's Guardian ride works out, there will probably be some lessons that we learned up in Canada that we can apply down here in Buena Park."

2014-07-29-Ouimet5-thumb.jpg

It's worth noting here that Knott's Berry Farm isn't the only Cedar Fair property to be singled out by Ouimet for some much needed TLC.

"Next year is Carowind's year. We've announced we're making a major investment in that park. $50 million over the next few years. And we're really looking forward to it," Matt said.

But just as he did when Ouimet took his first stroll around Knott's Berry Farm and identified the areas in that theme park that could be plussed & improved, Matt and his team walked the length of Carowinds. Looking for ways they could improve that amusement park while still preserving its obvious charms.

2014-07-29-Ouimet6-thumb.jpg

"In the end, I want people to think of the Cedar Fair parks like they do their best friend's house if they live out of town," Ouimet explained. "You know when you go there that you're going to have fun. You're going to be welcome. You're going to relive some memories as well as create some new ones. You're going to laugh. And it's always something you're going to look forward to."

But again you just don't see those areas that can be plussed or improved if you're hunched over a spreadsheet. Which is why -- several times a year -- Matt hops on a plane, travels to all 11 amusement parks and then puts on his walking shoes.

"I've always prided myself on the ability to look at the amusement park experience through the guest's eyes which is why I still like to be out in the parks. I still like to walk around, make sure the guests are still having a good time," Ouimet said.

2014-07-29-Ouimet1-thumb.jpg

"I mean, it's honestly not that complicated. People don't want things to be too expensive. They want to be able to have fun with their friends and their family. They want to eat a nice meal while they're in the park. They want to experience some new rides as well as revisit some old favorites. And they want to laugh a little bit. If you can consistently deliver that experience -- and that's what we try to do at each of our Cedar Fair properties -- people will come back again and again," Ouimet concluded.

RE: Matt Quimet Reveals Secret to Running a Successful Amusement Park

I have to say that was a nice little article. Now only if Michigans Adventure had some love.:-[ That park is in dire need of a superstar roller coaster. Other than that Cedar Fair has improved in the past few years compared to other corporate chains like Six Flags.

I frequently forget that Michigan's Adventure and California's Great America are even Cedar Fair parks. Nothing ever seems to happen with them.

Michigan's Adventure needs a lot more than just a roller coaster, but considering its market is that niche between Canada and Ohio/Indiana it's doubtful it will ever see the attention to break 1 million guests a year.

I still want to see what he has planned for the dark ride additions, especially at Knott's and Cedar Point. Rumors have said they'll both get one but Cedar Fair has been silent and Knott's isn't making many waves. He says he's focusing more on family oriented business but with the addition of a Giga-coaster at Carowinds and the astronomical increase in food prices and only one dark ride addition so far he still has a lot more to do than what he's saying he's done.

Well, he did not come on board until June 2011 and there was about a 6 month transition period with Dick Kinzel. So Matt did not fully takeover until the beginning of 2012. Most of the major attraction related stuff was "in process" from Kinzel's management era (Wind Seeker's and CP's Gate keeper).

He might have had some influence with Kings Dominion's Planet Snoopy expansion in 2013. But, again that was pretty far along in the planning stages. Not sure what, if anything, he might have influenced in that project. I assume the first major attraction that has his mark was the dark ride Guardian at Canada's Wonderland for 2014.

Also, as Matt Quimet calls the "Place Making" theme/concept, was carried out this year with the other parks such as Valley Fair's Route 76 area and Cedar Point's similar makeover of one of their area's. The beginning of Cedar Fair's involvement of focused investment in Carowinds for the next 3 years.

I strongly believe he is responsible for the re-building of entertainment at Kings Dominion and the other parks over the last 2-3 years. Still a work in progress; but, much better than it was 4-5 years ago.

I am sure he encouraged the 40th anniversary stuff for KD this year; returning some old landmarks back to the park and a refresh of several areas as well (again, the place making theme).

Even though his current tenure has been short, I think he has set the Cedar Fair ship on a a new course. Now, it is up the the rest of the management and parks to get the vessel under full steam.

Reactions: Mushroom

I remember reading somewhere that Pat Jones had been wanting the improvements we're seeing now for years, and Ouimet is finally green lighting those ideas. Do you know anything about that, mwhinva?

I really do love his philosophies, though. Every park in their chain is unique and have their own markets. I am glad somebody is heading the chain who understands there is more to a theme park than just roller coasters. His influence is clearly showing at KD, and not just in removing the "Fort Kinzel" signage from Flight of Fear's building. :p

Reactions: wombat96
Shane said:
Ouimet is really guiding the company in the right direction. I truly beleive all park presidents should have their shoes on the ground as often as possible. SixFlags and SEAS could really learn from that.

Absolutely agree!!!

Holiday World is the best example of this. The Koch family, Paula Werne (their Director of Communications), and GM Matt Eckert, are always out and about at the park and engaging guests throughout the day. Other park presidents and GM's should follow their example.

Reactions: Hoopla and Zachary
I noticed in one of the pictures from the article, that Knott's front entrance sign says 'America's 1st theme park'. I was watching the Holiday World reveal of the new coaster and they said HW was America's 1st theme park. Well one of them has to be the 2nd right?

Mazakman said:
I noticed in one of the pictures from the article, that Knott's front entrance sign says 'America's 1st theme park'. I was watching the Holiday World reveal of the new coaster and they said HW was America's 1st theme park. Well one of them has to be the 2nd right?

Knott's as a business operation is older BUT they initially opened as a roadside foodstand. They didn't become a legit park until 1968 when they fenced in the property and started charging admission. Holiday World opened in 1946 as Santa Claus Land.

My vote goes to Holiday World.

Evan said:
I've been seeing Pat Jones (Kings Dominion General Manager) out and about a lot more this season. And she's not just walking around, she's helping clean and such.

I think it really shows at Kings Dominion this year. I last went to the park towards the begining of the season but I could really feel a change in the atmosphere. I can name a couple of park presidents that do this. John Riley of SeaWorld San Diego is another on of those kinds of GMs. Which goes to show even if your corporate doesn't care, your GM can care.

The only BGW GM that I ever saw regularly was Keith Kasen from the early 1990s until 1997. He was out and about quite a bit. Every other GM after him pretty much hid behind a desk.

Joe said:
I remember reading somewhere that Pat Jones had been wanting the improvements we're seeing now for years, and Ouimet is finally green lighting those ideas. Do you know anything about that, mwhinva?

I really do love his philosophies, though. Every park in their chain is unique and have their own markets. I am glad somebody is heading the chain who understands there is more to a theme park than just roller coasters. His influence is clearly showing at KD, and not just in removing the "Fort Kinzel" signage from Flight of Fear's building. :p

I don't know for sure if Pat had been pushing for the refresh. I would think that she probably tried and Dick Kinzel, and the rest of his management team, probably had other priorities and delayed the request or simply brushed her off.

It does seem that Matt Quimet is paying more attention to the managers on a park by park basis.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad