Login or Register to Hide This Ad

Jonesta6

Glumble
Feb 14, 2019
To play conspiracy theorist for a moment, I've heard rumors that we can expect certain perishable food items to be completely obliterated from suppliers on down the line, and what remains will cost upwards of 40% more than normal by somewhere around January. The funny thing is the same rumors suggesting to stock up on canned goods seems to forget that a massive food shortage will also likely impact the canners too.

Which means you may not get Mongolian beef with fried rice for awhile if any of that is true.

Reactions: Mwe BGW
Mar 17, 2020
To play conspiracy theorist for a moment, I've heard rumors that we can expect certain perishable food items to be completely obliterated from suppliers on down the line, and what remains will cost upwards of 40% more than normal by somewhere around January. The funny thing is the same rumors suggesting to stock up on canned goods seems to forget that a massive food shortage will also likely impact the canners too.

Which means you may not get Mongolian beef with fried rice for awhile if any of that is true.
On a non conspiracy theory front, some analysts are starting to suggest we might be revisiting an ugly beast from the 1970s, stagflation: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/s...f-rising-prices-bofa-analysts-say-11633110365

As for food service price increases, it isn't just about stuff disappearing. I stopped at Dunkin this morning and the price of my coffee was up 5% versus last Friday, and the price of my donut went up 7.75%. I am not surprised by this at all, given supply chain issues as well as the tight labor market, but it really puts restaurants in a tough spot. Poorer service quality pretty much anywhere you go, combined with higher menu prices, is not a recipe for getting people in the door.

Reactions: Jonesta6

Zachary

BGW Eggspert
Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
I dont completely understand why staffing is still such a huge problem because I thought the unemployment paychecks were over, forcing people to return to work. Can someone help me with this?

COVID realigned people's priorities and fewer people want or need to work for a company that treats them like shit. It doesn't help that BGW is now cutting employee pay either. It has long been a HORRIBLE place to work and now people are being expected to work for even less than they were making a month or two ago—during a time in which their hours are also being cut. Expect staffing issues to continue at BGW until corporate starts making better choices.

horsesboy

professional Pantheon observer
Advisory Panel
Silver Donor
Jun 16, 2013
COVID realigned people's priorities and fewer people want or need to work for a company that treats them like shit. It doesn't help that BGW is now cutting employee pay either. It has long been a HORRIBLE place to work and now people are being expected to work for even less than they were making a month or two ago—during a time in which their hours are also being cut. Expect staffing issues to continue at BGW until corporate starts making better choices.
Unless you have heard something different my understanding is that the pay cut only effects new hires but not current employees who locked into their salary rate. That of course doesn't help them hire especially during that seasonal flux between summer employees and fall and year round.

The issues run far beyond BGW the employment market in the area is still highly competitive with many places still short staffed and the park just isn't competitive with getting new people in while having just lost a ton of seasonal help. Add that to many employees dealing with angry and often hostile guest and its not a good situation.

horsesboy

professional Pantheon observer
Advisory Panel
Silver Donor
Jun 16, 2013
I have it on good authority that there are actual pay cuts hitting at least certain categories of current, front-line employees this Howl-O-Scream.
Wow I thought it was unbelievably stupid when they where cutting starting wages to cut wages in the current environment is just straight assign

Login or Register to Hide This Ad