Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

Mushroom

Getting aHEAD of myself
Advisory Panel
Feb 12, 2011
Kings Island's International Street is getting a huge renovation for the 2019 season. The park is promising a new entryway, updgrades to the building facades, an upgraded fountain with LED lights and programming for nighttime shows, new pavers and landscaping, and even "the ability to get closer to the fountain than ever before." As you can see in the photos here, the changes are massive - everything between the buildings, including the fountain itself, has been demolished or removed.

I have to say, these renovations are impressive. I can't help but wonder what prompted such a drastic change, and to wonder if this has any implication for International Street's sister area at Kings Dominion.

Cincinnati.com said:
As if Kings Island wasn't doing enough work in the offseason already, International Street is getting a renovation.

The entry into Kings Island will get its "first complete makeover since the park opened," according to park officials. Even the Royal Fountain will get a makeover.

"No element of the street will be left untouched," officials said.

On top of the update to the Royal Fountain, workers will install more than 130,000 new pavers, improve each building façade and enhance the landscaping.

"The renovation will remind guests of what Kings Island looked like when the amusement park opened in 1972, even giving them the ability to get closer to the fountain than ever before," officials said.

The International Street renovation will also include an extended bandstand stage in front of the Eiffel Tower will allow for bigger celebrations and performances.

“For many of our guests, visiting Kings Island and seeing the Eiffel Tower and Royal Fountain for the first time was a moment they’ll never forget,” general manager Mike Koontz said in a statement. “This season they’ll discover the magic of International Street again, spending more time there than they have in a long time.”

WCPO said:
Crews are in the process of installing more than 130,000 paving stones, updating each of the buildings' exteriors and enhancing the landscape, according to a news release. Perhaps the biggest updates will be to the Royal Fountain which will be modified for day and evening shows with water that shoots 50 percent higher into the air. The fountain will have 112 new nozzles and 176 LED lights that can be individually controlled.

Link

I have to say, these renovations are impressive. I can't help but wonder what prompted such a drastic change, and to wonder if this has any implication for International Street's sister area at Kings Dominion.

Kings Dominion was supposed to get this a few years ago, but I'm pretty sure they opted for more rides at Planet Snoopy instead.

According to these pictures of construction, all of the trees along the fountain have been removed. Maybe the park is trying to replicate International Street's original appearance?

Edit: Looks like the pictures go taken down. Fortunately, I was able to grab a low-res screenshot of the pics before they were removed. ki international street.PNG

Last edited:
Because when I think King's Dominion, the first thing that I think is, "you know, that park has WAY to many trees cooling its walk ways!"

Reactions: Thomas
Because when I think King's Dominion, the first thing that I think is, "you know, that park has WAY to many trees cooling its walk ways!"

This thread is about King’s ISLAND’s I-Street renovations, but yes, I totally agree that the trees should’ve stayed.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad