Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

Zachary

Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Virginia
So, naturally, the potential replacement of Mäch Tower is a hot topic right now. With an already seemingly-stacked addition timeline in the years ahead, there seems to be a possibility that Mäch Tower could be removed potentially well before a new attraction is constructed to replace it.

With that in mind, I wanted to pitch a much cheaper, non-ride solution to replace Mäch Tower. The idea I came up with aims to reorient the front section of Oktoberfest away from focusing on a large thrill ride and back towards a more understated, more comfortable direction.

This concept is specifically designed to be budget-friendly. I'm sure we can all imagine far more grandiose possibilities, but I wanted something that could realistically be accomplished on the cheap by reusing as much of the current infrastructure as possible.

Anyway, my pitch is this:

Remove Mäch Tower and only Mäch Tower. Leave the ride's platform, the queue, the decorative metal structure—everything. Convert the existing queue structure into multiple food and beverage counter service booths. The exact mix of offerings here is up to you, but I imagine one third focused on beer, one third focused on generic snacks and drinks, and one third used as a flex space for special event food and beverage offerings (Food & Wine plus Beir Fest).

Fill the area behind and below the current decorative structure that encircles Mäch Tower with the tables which are currently housed behind Beste Brezeln und Bier. In the center of that structure—exactly where Mäch Tower currently stands—put up a new, realistically-sized maypole. Then, run streamer-like banners from the top of that new maypole out to the furthest segments of the surrounding structure. Mount some lights and interior-facing fans to the existing tiered framework, and you have a semi-shaded, Maypole-themed Biergarten.

Then, with the now-vacant area behind Beste Brezeln und Bier, restore Oktoberfest's planters and greenery. Currently that area looks horrible—just a massive, barren wasteland of tables and aggregate. Restoring this greenery will make an enormous cosmetic difference to the area behind the pretzel shop and around Der Wirbelwind. I kept the printed concrete dead-end right next to Wirbelwind with the thought that it would make for a nice area to put some benches for spectators.

Since we've added a new Food & Beverage flex space, we can demo the supposedly-temporary, incest-themed, frozen drinks booth across from Verbolten. We should take the ugly games booth out while we're at it too. Guest flow through this area of the park is a mess right now. The path to Das Festhaus should be wide and inviting. This plan solves that.

A map of what I'm envisioning can be found below.

MT Biergarten.jpg

The benefits for the park here are obvious.
  1. It offers the park more food and beverage sales opportunities in an incredibly high-traffic area of Busch Gardens.
  2. It removes some strain from the massively over-crowded pretzel shop.
  3. It provides more seating and relaxation areas for guests waiting for friends and/or family on Verbolten.
  4. It replaces a horribly problematic ride with a notable improvement to the guest experience in Oktoberfest with very little investment.
Lastly, I'll also point out that this solution opens up the area currently occupied by Beste Brezeln und Bier's seating area for future expansion. It's easy to imagine a new flat in this area in the future—a theoretical addition that would only make this Maypole Biergarten a more appealing place for ride-averse folks to settle in and grab a snack and a drink as they watch the rides from the sidelines.

Last edited:
Honestly, this is kinda what I was thinking by an extended eating area. When the park first announced the revitalized Oktoberfest 12 years ago, they said Biergarten quite a lot. What ended up happening over the years was the Pretzel shop with a few tables around back. Not much Garten. Would be nice to see that worked in a bit more. Also, those additional buildings are the electrical rooms for Mach. If the ride is removed, most likely those rooms will be removed too. I've seen in one and the other has a closet where we kept some cleaning supplies. That one may stay, but I would guess the rooms that are all electrical cabinets would not be needed and I would rather see them removed and have added space rather than just sitting there unused.

Last edited:
I would take it further:
Move the existing structure back to the enlarged planter and make the area a huge plaza.

Update Bolt at the same time so the whole area fits in an “edge of the Black Forrest” type area.

I'd definitely be down with something like this. I commonly take the cut-through where all the tables are currently and 1) it's a mess to get through when the seating area is crowded, 2) that whole area is visually sub-par for the park and 3) FAR better use of the space than Mäch Tower anyway 😆.

Yeah, the aim was to keep the cut through as it's a useful element of the Oktoberfest loop whenever Oktoberfest acts as a deadend during events and things. That said, I think my design deemphasizes it considerably. The larger paths always lead deeper into Oktoberfest. The hope is that no one finds themselves accidentally bypassing the rest of the hamlet, but whenever someone means to use the shortcut, it actually works (unlike right now).

Last edited:
Reactions: tursiops
I'm whatever about the MT conversion, though I don't know if the existing tower could be effectively converted or if it's better to build new - more that the swings should stay

I would love to have a ride like Dr. Doom’s Fearfall at Universal’s Islands of Adventure. They could probably cram some theming in the existing queue line space that would fit SEAS’s current budget.

To me, a ride like Dr. Doom has more bang for your buck than any standard drop tower ever could.

Reactions: warfelg
Newsflash: MT IS the adult version of Elmo's Spire (Moser made both)
Which would make it all the easier to not only have it drop, but also bounce up and down. Heck, I even have a name for it: Der Kotzkomet. :)

They could probably cram some theming in the existing queue line space that would fit SEAS’s current budget.

Wouldn't they need to remove theming if they want to be consistent with recent attractions?

Last edited:
Newsflash: MT IS the adult version of Elmo's Spire (Moser made both)

For what it’s worth, Zamperla actually does make an adult version of its Jumpin’ Star model. (Prince Elmo’s Spire is a Zamperla Jumpin’ Star, not Moser.)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Direct Link to Embedded Media Source

Those kiddie drop rides are actually super fun IMO — the bouncing creates this really strange, fun sensation of forces. I’d love to see more of these adult versions pop up.

(Prince Elmo’s Spire is a Zamperla Jumpin’ Star, not moser)
Really? I could have sworn that I saw Moser on the spec sheet for it once and that Moser even had a photo of it on their website at one point. But, you are correct, Elmo is on the Zamperla website, so I guess I was mistaken. Anyways, back to the topic at hand.

Reactions: Zachary
I would love to have a ride like Dr. Doom’s Fearfall at Universal’s Islands of Adventure. They could probably cram some theming in the existing queue line space that would fit SEAS’s current budget.

To me, a ride like Dr. Doom has more bang for your buck than any standard drop tower ever could.

Eh - I got to do it in June, and it's basically a much shorter and way hotter version of... Think of pretty much any decent S&S spaceshot or dropshot tower rides. IMO fun but not particularly reridable.

Reactions: Coasternerd
For what it’s worth, Zamperla actually does make an adult version of its Jumpin’ Star model. (Prince Elmo’s Spire is a Zamperla Jumpin’ Star, not Moser.)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Direct Link to Embedded Media Source

Those kiddie drop rides are actually super fun IMO — the bouncing creates this really strange, fun sensation of forces. I’d love to see more of these adult versions pop up.

Where has this been all my life? I'm tired of sneaking on kids rides 🤣

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad