Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Status
The first entry in this thread is a WikiPost. As such, it can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.

Manufacturer
Moser's Rides

Model
Gravity Tower

Hamlet
Oktoberfest (Germany)

Opening Date
August 18th, 2011

Closing Date
January 8th, 2023

Attraction Height
240ft

Duration
About 90 Seconds

Riders Per Cycle

Height Requirement
48in

Mäch Tower was a Moser's Rides Gravity Tower located in the Oktoberfest section of Busch Gardens Williamsburg.

Originally planned to debut in the spring alongside Beste Brezeln und Bier and numerous other alterations to the Oktoberfest hamlet, Mäch Tower faced months of delays throughout the first half of 2011. Ultimately, the attraction did not open to the public until August 18th, 2011.

Mach Tower was typically converted into an observation tower named Nächt Tower for the park's annual holiday event, Christmas Town.

On December 16, 2022 it was announced by the park that Mäch Tower would close on January 8th, 2023. The ride did not operate in it's typical Nächt Tower mode in 2022, in order to have final sendoffs in the normal drop tower mode.

When it debuted, Mäch Tower featured an onboard audio system which would play music throughout the ride's ascent and a seat vibration effect that would trigger immediately before the drop. A POV featuring the on-ride audio can be found below.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Direct Link to Embedded Media Source

Sources:
  1. Mäch Tower Announcement Press Release
  2. Official Statement Regarding Opening Delays
  3. "Waiting for the Mach Tower to Drop" via The Virginian-Pilot
  4. "Busch Gardens opens towering drop ride after 3-month delay" via The Virginian-Pilot
  5. First Ride Video & Opening Day Photos via BGWFans
  6. Early Mäch Tower Ride Impressions via Theme Park Insider

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a thin 6'1 guy and it's terrible for my frame. I'm reasonably sure there are plenty of italians who are my height and weight.
Eh, from what I'm aware of, most Europeans are generally shorter than we are. I'm 6'0 and can't get the harness down very well either.

It’s open.
nooo GIF

Oh I laughed so hard. Thank you for that.

Am I the only one likes MT? I mean.. I don't prefer it to anything else in the park. But it's decent fun.

Given MT's spotty operational history and too-frequent issues, it's especially uncomfortable to have to put that much more faith in the restraint system.
Do any of those too-frequent issues have to do with the ride restraints? My anxiety needs to know.

Reactions: Mwe BGW
Oh I laughed so hard. Thank you for that.

Am I the only one likes MT? I mean.. I don't prefer it to anything else in the park. But it's decent fun.

Do any of those too-frequent issues have to do with the ride restraints? My anxiety needs to know.
So I've never like riding it due to the awkward seat size and restraints. I was also lead team member for one season at MT and it really wasn't that bad (besides quite a few sub-par team members). I did make it common knowledge that if the ride ever caught fire, I would get everyone out of the area, then clock out and watch it burn. Anyways, most of the issues we had during that season were communications issues with the control system, which would result in an automatic e-stop. I only remember having issues with harnesses only once, where they wouldn't open. We used the manual release tools to get everyone off in short order while maintenance fixed the issue. Should be noted that Mach Tower (like all amusement rides) have dual redundant harness locks to keep the harnesses closed, even if one fails.

Status
The first entry in this thread is a WikiPost. As such, it can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad