Login or Register to Hide This Ad
Status
The first entry in this thread is a WikiPost. As such, it can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
Attraction Type
Flat Ride
Status
Existing

Manufacturer
Moser's Rides

Model
Gravity Tower

Hamlet
Oktoberfest (Germany)

Opening Date
August 18th, 2011

Attraction Height
240ft

Duration
About 90 Seconds

Riders Per Cycle

Height Requirement
48in

Mäch Tower is a Moser's Rides Gravity Tower located in the Oktoberfest section of Busch Gardens Williamsburg.

Originally planned to debut in the spring alongside Beste Brezeln und Bier and numerous other alterations to the Oktoberfest hamlet, Mäch Tower faced months of delays throughout the first half of 2011. Ultimately, the attraction did not open to the public until August 18th, 2011.

When it debuted, Mäch Tower featured an onboard audio system which would play music throughout the ride's ascent and a seat vibration effect that would trigger immediately before the drop. A POV featuring the on-ride audio can be found below.

Mach Tower is typically converted into an observation tower named Nächt Tower for the park's annual holiday event, Christmas Town.

Sources:
  1. Mäch Tower Announcement Press Release
  2. Official Statement Regarding Opening Delays
  3. "Waiting for the Mach Tower to Drop" via The Virginian-Pilot
  4. "Busch Gardens opens towering drop ride after 3-month delay" via The Virginian-Pilot
  5. First Ride Video & Opening Day Photos via BGWFans
  6. Early Mäch Tower Ride Impressions via Theme Park Insider

Aug 10, 2018
It is so frustrating that all it would take to make this a very decent ride IMO is a new fiberglass seat shell piece, but I know they would never do it. Alternately, make the OTSR's into lap bars in the style of pantheon.

Reactions: Unagi and Zachary

Dombot

:)
Mar 30, 2020
Atlanta
The reason is because they bought a taller version of a kiddie ride built by Europeans (statistically smaller than Americans).
Weird thing is, WIld Surge at Busch Gardens Tampa is a kids drop tower made by Moser... and yet it's somehow waaaay more comfortable than Mach Tower. I rode them both within a few months of each other in 2018. It's kinda baffling.

horsesboy

DarKoaster stalker
Advisory Panel
Silver Donor
Jun 16, 2013
When driving past the park to check on the Pantheon situation I spotted that the giant crane is back on site and there appears to be lots of work going on regarding the motor replacement Maybe it can open in time to get some gopro shots of Pantheon testing.

Apr 9, 2013
Hmm. I never ride Mach Tower because... well, it’s not special and there are a lot more fun things to do. However, I do feel like having a tower is an almost “essential” part of a park. After Patheon‘s and the Festhaus Park (?) completion, I hope BGW will invest in a more engaging tower... is Disney-level theming too much to ask?

Oh. Disagree. It's very special.

• Haha
Reactions: nick and belsaas
Apr 22, 2019
Never having ridden this or seen it in person, what makes the seats so uncomfortable? In that picture of them they don't look too weird.

horsesboy

DarKoaster stalker
Advisory Panel
Silver Donor
Jun 16, 2013
Never having ridden this or seen it in person, what makes the seats so uncomfortable? In that picture of them they don't look too weird.
No matter how I sit on it the over the shoulder restraint seems to pinch my shoulder and upper arm against the top corner of the seat. It also feels like it causes you to slightly bend forward.

ControlsEE

I probably should be working...
Oct 2, 2018
It was designed by an Italian company, who used their average body size for the seat sizes. To put it delicately, most Americans have a different size that does not fit well in the seats. Also, the aforementioned OTSR's have about 1/2" clearance on each side, so your arms either are pinched between the restraint and seat, or stick out the bottom of the harness.

Reactions: belsaas

Jonesta6

Glumble
Feb 14, 2019
I think I fit the seats well enough so it's not too uncomfortable though I still prefer Drop Zone at KD - the main issue I have with the seats on MT are the huge plastic leg-spreader/crotch buster for each seat.

Oct 7, 2011
I find that the seats tend to prevent any effective "scooting back" at all, so it feels like I'm sliding forward in the seat against the restraint the entire time. Not endemic to other freefall rides. Just MT.

Given MT's spotty operational history and too-frequent issues, it's especially uncomfortable to have to put that much more faith in the restraint system.

Status
The first entry in this thread is a WikiPost. As such, it can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
Login or Register to Hide This Ad