Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Dec 23, 2011
Not sure if anyone noticed this but we have lost some events this year.

WIld Days, Ramp Jam, and the KIDsiderate things? have been discontinued.

WIld Days - We saw major confusion last year on the details and with Howl-o-Scream being early it got lost in the hustle and bustle of things I guess and this year Howl-o-Scream continues to come a bit early and Wild Days has been wiped off the map, for now maybe?

Ramp Jam - From what I saw had great attendance and reception from the GP. I can't understand why the park decided to give this event the boot unless for some reason they just weren't able to work in the acts or something?

KIDsiderate things? - Not sure what to call them, but things like Hip Hop Harry and DJ Lance? They tried these out last year and I guess they didn't get the best of interest with the GP so I would think that is the reason they were scraped?

DO we have info regarding the discontinued-ness of these events? Any input of this from any members?

Reactions: Zachary
Party Rocker said:
WIld Days - We saw major confusion last year on the details and with Howl-o-Scream being early it got lost in the hustle and bustle of things I guess and this year Howl-o-Scream continues to come a bit early and Wild Days has been wiped off the map, for now maybe?

This is, by far, the biggest loss. Tis a sad day.

As always, thanks for the info Party Rocker.

Reactions: Party Rocker
Was Wild Days the event with Jack Hanna? If so they did have it in Tampa this year..

Wild Days really was a mess last year, with the park's website advertising it on dates the park wasn't even open (the dates listed were weekdays -- possibly the dates weren't updated from the year before or something like that) and every employee you asked having a different answer about when Wild Days were to happen. I loved Wild Days; thought it was a nice little event the first few years, with the additional animal presentations at the various outdoor "stops" awa the events with Jack Hanna, Julie Scardina, etc. in the Festhaus and/or Globe.

Ramp Jam didn't affect me one way or the other. Kidsiderate events/things I imagine will happen in some guise or another. No way will the park just drop altogether highlighting activities for the little ones. Maybe the kids events will just become more "mainstream," like Entwined and the FOF??

KIDsiderate - Wait, what? When I was there that was the BIGGEST push for the future they had. Making the park accessible, more themes (Sesame Street was new), more shows, converting the Globe Theater into a kids show full time and everything else. I don't believe after a couple years they've removed that aspect of marketing from the park? Kinda wish I had a couple contacts at the park who'd know something about this one. >.>

Well, I think we need to look at Wreck It Ralph as an example. At heart it is a family movie, but one that as an adult, I could watch over and over. That should be an example of Kidsiderate.

Kidsiderate shouldn't mean- irritate all adults for the sake of kids. Make the quality of the shows and entertainment expand to include all ages.

For example: The Elmo movie should have been kept in Elmo World with a smaller theater built specifically for it. Unless you are a rabid fan of Sesame Street or a child under five, you probably would take the chance to eat fried worms over sitting though the movie; so why waste the Globe Theater for everyone?

The longer the moms and dads are happy and entertained, the more they are willing to spend and take longer to enjoy the day with their kids.

An adult can only take so much Chuck-E-Cheese atmosphere before throwing up the white flag and sounding the retreat!

Nora said:
...Kidsiderate shouldn't mean- irritate all adults for the sake of kids. Make the quality of the shows and entertainment expand to include all ages.

I've actually said pretty much the same thing to park president, Carl Lum. I don't speak to him much, but this seems to be something that we both agree on. I realize that other than park finances, this is one thing he is doing right.

Cedarva said:
KIDsiderate - Wait, what? When I was there that was the BIGGEST push for the future they had.

When I said Kidsiderate things I was mainly referring to the special appearances by DJ Lance and Hip Hop Harry as they were marketed as concerts for kids, but they weren't really given a specific name. The park is still very much in Kidsiderate mode; I will say they definitely tamed down some on the idea. They don't throw it in your face as much, but they still use the word often and it is out there so don't panic :p

Okay okay ... hehehe .... I was going to say, I can't imagine what would have happened that would have made the bulk of that marketing disappear. I'm not sure I understand why the concerts and special events would be gone, though - they were a part of the core of the ideal (along with basic GP understanding of the concept and, at loss of a better word right now, "ability" of the company to "right-size" the experience for the younger crowds (and thereby the family as well). I know SOME complaints came in when it was first being pushed .. about "Elmo Theater" (don't get me started on that decision), the confusing marketing about it and some other bits, but yeah ... at least it's still going. I was under the impressions from reading it took a hit completely .. my mind was baffled for hours!

Reactions: Nora and Zachary
Cedarva, The sad part is, it looks like I was responding to your post and technically I was referencing to a few posts before yours. I just now read your post and boy was that timed bad on my part.

I'm with you on the concerts and special events and am a bit confused myself.

I love the Kidsiderate program and how it helped kids and parents enjoy their day. Things like having a station at the beginning of the park where the little ones can get their height measured makes it easier for families. I also really appreciate the hard work the park has put into making more allergy friendly options out there at the restaurants! BIG THANKS! (Now if I could only find some Gluten Free Pasta in Italy, that would be even sweeter).

As far as large theater's go; I'll look to the past of Busch Gardens and dig up The Enchanted Laboratory as an example of an unforgettable "all age" production. Even in my teens I would sit in that theater and see the show over and over. I got older, but the show never lost it's magic. That is what I hope the Globe Theater bring again... something everyone will appreciate; and a real show (not a movie).

So yeah, marketing is tough. How to appeal to everyone is something some people really hit the mark on and others fail miserably. I don't envy anyone having to do this on a daily basis as you could work so hard on something and find out that the majority of the people hate the concept.

I am the kind of person who looks at marketing different from most. I still reject Trix because the kids refuse to share the cereal with the Rabbit. I am still protesting all Dr. Pepper beverages because of their "Not for Women" ad. Boo on them. Boo I say!

Why doesn't "Daddy have the power of Clorox Bleach?" Doesn't mom ever get to take a break from the laundry? I despise all the Bounty Ads because they make men look incapable of handling the smallest spills and if I were a man, that stereotype would get old.

Whatever happened to commercials and ads that showcased the product? Very few do this anymore.

Most of the more recent ads for BG focus on one thing- kids; which is great but misses the mark on what the park is really about - a fun adventure for everyone! The "Born for Busch Gardens" ad is close to that message... almost... but still, I wish it had more POW and the feeling of "Wow- I HAVE to go there!"

My favorite ad from Busch Gardens was the "Come to Life" ad that ran in the 80s. That ad was amazing! It covered the spirit of Busch Gardens. (seen here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XC3Hs1ByoI) Anyone can put themselves in the video; ladies & gentlemen, boys & girls.. young & old.

As an artist, this is how I see in the video: Beautiful landscape, Clydesdales, quality details, homemade pasta, antique trains, quality showstopping production numbers, crazy cool roller coaster, teens smiling on a ride, dancers twirling, water rides, more entertainment, kids having fun, kids looking up in wonder, aerial view of how awesome the park looks, battering ram, more teens smiling, German dancers, people eating good food with smiles, Italian dancing, more smiles and joy on a coaster. All of these screen shots edited in perfect timing to an amazing, bold, catchy tune that to this day, I can remember by heart.

That marketing ad was pure gold.

Nora! Man I swear we need to have some serious conversations about things... I'm confused what you're talking about, though - the .. "Cedarva, The sad part is, it looks like I was responding to your post and technically I was referencing to a few posts before yours. I just now read your post and boy was that timed bad on my part." thing ...

What did I miss? Have I lost another brain cell or did I glaze over something that causes that to make sense to me .. I'm so confused. I agree with everything you said, though. Times have changed, as has the marketing for the park. Each new year brings a new challenge to grab the attention of the GP - as well as those "abroad". While it's never an easy balance, there needs to be a clear and concise "point" or "gimmick" that gets people from Point A to your park. KIDsiderate was a major push and, from what I'm seeing is slightly falling by the wayside. I'm not sure if that's intentional or not .. budget issues, marketing controls or just plain good old fashioned "move on to something else now" idea - but .. well yeah -you get my point. Maybe somebody else can shed some light on to what's going on in the background at least? I'm not in that position anymore .. I can tell you what's going on in the background of another company right now, but I might get shot if I say too much! Seems to be the story of my life the past decade... can't ever talk about anything. Bah ...

Anyway .. yeah ... so anybody have any extraneous information they wanna share? I'm all curious as to what's going on with the KIDsiderate program now ... I refuse to believe they're chopping things down so quickly after "launch". Grrr...

Cedarva.. Ah~I see. No.. I was just saying that you had mentioned "What happened to Kidsiderate" and then I went to post how Kidsiderate should mean- not annoying adults for the sake of kids. It sounded like I was answering your question, and I wasn't. I was just making a point from some other posts I've been reading is all.

I really have no idea what the thinking is regarding the program at the park. Beats me. It's a mystery wrapped up in an enigma.

But I think the part that I wrote about working so hard on a project to see it be rejected in the world of marketing stands true to what you are saying though. Being confused at why a program and idea that you and others worked so hard on and then see it disappear for no reason is a good call for a head scratcher.

The rest of my post was just an observation of commercials and advertisements- connected to marking only towards kids and families who have them (nothing about your posts in general). Going back to the "Come to Life" commercial I posted about; I remember seeing that as a kid and getting so excited over it, my mom also enjoyed that ad and thought "yeah- Why not. Let's go to Busch Gardens." And we went...pretty much everyday.

Then, when the Chuck-E-Cheese commercial came on, I would ask my mom the same thing and she always sighed and said- "Not today.. maybe on your birthday." Not all parents want to go "where a kid can be a kid". I would like to see an ad that features everyone having a good time and shows the park for all of the features it offers for everyone. Basically, show more cool rides, shows, food, & entertainment with all ages- and less of a kids playground atmosphere.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad