Login or Register to Hide This Ad

Coasternerd

What’s better than one coaster? 2 coasters!
Dec 7, 2021
Who thinks this will be one of, if not, the last fully operating Arrow loopers in existence?
If they try to get rid of this there will be a massive, and I mean MASSIVE, uproar about it and more than likely they’d be refurbishing it, rather than removing it.

Reactions: Mwe BGW

Coasternerd

What’s better than one coaster? 2 coasters!
Dec 7, 2021
Others should correct me if I'm wrong, but they've been operating with less than four people on the platform on-and-off since at least late 2019. I know I've seen three, but maybe even two as well (when controls leaves the booth to check restraints).
From my understanding, while Nessie is closed during off-season (or just closed at all) those people are generally cross trained over at Finnegan’s. My guess is that if Finnegan’s has someone call out they pull from Nessie. Looks like it’s the other way around as well, because recently when Nessie closes, Finnegan’s sees an uptick in ops to run the ride, I’ve noticed. And vice versa, when Finnegan’s goes down I see some extra people at Nessie. Not sure if it’s true but just something I’ve noticed.

Brambo

Cyberdyne Systems Software Engineer
Oct 31, 2019
Virginia Beach, VA
Is it an extremely smooth anymore / game changing ride anymore? No... But i can think of a number of newer rides in the area that offer less and are rougher. I certainly wouldn't go so far as to say it sucks. Haven't ridden too many arrow loopers but it's by far the smoothest of the bunch I've experienced and has much better forces.

Nov 30, 2018
If they try to get rid of this there will be a massive, and I mean MASSIVE, uproar about it and more than likely they’d be refurbishing it, rather than removing it.
That uproar will be followed by all those people renewing their memberships (and cheap annual passes) without delay. The ride’s future as long as SEAS is in charge will largely be calculated by the bean counters running the place.

Jun 13, 2011
From my understanding, while Nessie is closed during off-season (or just closed at all) those people are generally cross trained over at Finnegan’s. My guess is that if Finnegan’s has someone call out they pull from Nessie. Looks like it’s the other way around as well, because recently when Nessie closes, Finnegan’s sees an uptick in ops to run the ride, I’ve noticed. And vice versa, when Finnegan’s goes down I see some extra people at Nessie. Not sure if it’s true but just something I’ve noticed.
Operated out of the same park operations area, along with BFE, so, yeah.

Reactions: Zachary
Jun 13, 2011
If anything, I would expect it to be fully rebuilt with modern technology/design (with new track and structural replacement as necessary) before it would ever be removed. There's nothing better for it's location.

Oct 23, 2019
So this was either my first or 2nd Arrow looper. I grew up in Pittsburgh PA and I can't remember if I rode the Steel Phantom first or Loch Ness. I get the nostalgia, I really do... My dislike for the coaster is certainly my own opinion, sure I will ride it, but it has very little same day re-rideability for me. The first drop is about the only thing that is good, the rest is just boring. I think a modern designer could do some fantastic things with that plot of land. I don't have the time to play with coaster software, but I have some ideas that I think would work within the current path (hoping it can still cross the pipeline). It won't last forever...

• Dislike
Reactions: Nicole and Mwe BGW

Jonesta6

Glumble
Feb 14, 2019
So this was either my first or 2nd Arrow looper. I grew up in Pittsburgh PA and I can't remember if I rode the Steel Phantom first or Loch Ness. I get the nostalgia, I really do... My dislike for the coaster is certainly my own opinion, sure I will ride it, but it has very little same day re-rideability for me. The first drop is about the only thing that is good, the rest is just boring. I think a modern designer could do some fantastic things with that plot of land. I don't have the time to play with coaster software, but I have some ideas that I think would work within the current path (hoping it can still cross the pipeline). It won't last forever...

To address my previous statement - last operating Arrow looper <> (or =/= if you like) forever operating.

Metal fatigue is real, though then again it's feasible Morgan or Vekoma or whomever could come in and refurbish it - be down for a while and they could potentially swap out metal components and reweld things together. Hard to say if the park will ever want to do that because it's expensive, but then again this ride is arguably the very core of the park's attractions.

Reactions: Coasternerd
Oct 23, 2019
To address my previous statement - last operating Arrow looper <> (or =/= if you like) forever operating.

Metal fatigue is real, though then again it's feasible Morgan or Vekoma or whomever could come in and refurbish it - be down for a while and they could potentially swap out metal components and reweld things together. Hard to say if the park will ever want to do that because it's expensive, but then again this ride is arguably the very core of the park's attractions.
I see no point in having custom fabrication done just to keep the ride as is. It can be rebuilt from the ground up while paying homage to the original. If it wasn't for the interlocking loops, I doubt anyone would care. A single rail that follows just about the same path and eliminates the 2nd lift hill would be fantastic while throwing in something extra as well.

Reactions: Coasternerd
Login or Register to Hide This Ad