Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

Jonesta6

Glumble
Feb 14, 2019

Can anyone explain why a safety system would shut down the ride over a network connectivity issue? Wouldn't there be a redundant backup system in place to quickly evacuate the ride in the event that the primary fails?

My guess is this is a communications system that lets the central computer system know what's going on with each car, when one went out the system assumes the worst case scenario. However, from unverified other sources, there are claims some cars had passengers tilting onto each other as they were not leveling out.

Something just doesn't add up to me...

RollyCoaster

Silver Donor
Jul 31, 2016
There were videos on tik tok that showed the gondola tilted over at a high grade at the very top. Everybody rolling down to one side without a way to get up. I’ll source the video if I can find it again.

ControlsEE

I probably should be working...
Oct 2, 2018

Can anyone explain why a safety system would shut down the ride over a network connectivity issue? Wouldn't there be a redundant backup system in place to quickly evacuate the ride in the event that the primary fails?

My guess is this is a communications system that lets the central computer system know what's going on with each car, when one went out the system assumes the worst case scenario. However, from unverified other sources, there are claims some cars had passengers tilting onto each other as they were not leveling out.

Something just doesn't add up to me...
Network problems cause an automatic fault on a safety PLC, shutting the system down into the "safe state." This is because having a large amount of IO spread out over an area requires the use of a distributed system, the most common and reliable being an ethernet network. You can setup everything to have redundancies, but if a node on the network stops communicating with the PLC, it will result in a fault. Not sure how the gondola ended up tilting so much, unless there were mechanical failures as well.

Reactions: Unagi and Jonesta6
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad