Login or Register to Hide This Ad
Apr 22, 2019
It seems many of the reliability issues are still present, but the launch seems to be the biggest factor for downtime as the staff was constantly working on it throughout my visit, even while the ride was in operation.

Hopefully this is just some initial hiccups that will be ironed out. Does the launch still feel good, or is it underwhelming now? I've only ridden it once, in its opening year, but I remember the launch feeling great, maybe because it's uphill.

If it's overshooting the brake run, then it seems like a further reduction in launch speed is likely, right?

Mar 19, 2015
^Further reducing the launch speed is almost impossible since it currently crests very slowly. If overshooting is a genuine issue then there should be ways of adding extra brakes, either by adding more single metal fin brakes (like what the majority of the brake run consists of) or adding extra secondary magnetic brakes (like the traditional RMC brake design that run up the launch to the side of the LSMs).

Reactions: Zachary
Apr 22, 2019
It's too bad it couldn't have stayed topper track, but oh well. That just didn't work out. RIP worlds first, and probably last, launched wooden coaster. The launch was great in the opening year, as was the entire coaster... when it was working.

May 3, 2011
Richmond, Va
As a result of the topper track, the ride has been running way too fast and overshooting the brakes frequently. Nearly every train by the end of the day on had to be backed up in the station because they were just going too fast in the rain. The ride also only ran with one train the entire weekend and was down all day Saturday apart from one lucky train of riders that made it through the course. I was told they opted for one train out of fears that could result in another Steel Vengeance Opening Day 2018 scenario as a result of the overshooting. It seems many of the reliability issues are still present, but the launch seems to be the biggest factor for downtime as the staff was constantly working on it throughout my visit, even while the ride was in operation.

I'm hoping that these launch issues are more so stemming from them uninstalling and reinstalling all of the launch and brake hardware for the retracking.

As for the trains overshooting, I wonder if this is more because of the trains inability to stop rather than going too fast around the track. If I'm not mistaken the train usually comes to a full complete stop on the transfer table prior to entering the station? This helps them control the train after it comes off the final brake run. So at this point the train should, in theory, be fully controlled by the drive tires. Any overspeeds from the course should cause a fault which, in consequence, triggers the system to estop itself. This would cause the train to be stopped on the final brake run until maintenance comes to reset. At least this is the case with Twisted Timbers.

When Twisted Timbers was built, on the first day of commissioning with rain - the train came flying into the station. Basically, with the rubber drive tires being wet and the downward slope of the station, the train barely slowed down and only came to a complete stop with the help of the friction brakes. This is when they programmed a "rain mode" which made the train come into the station at a much slower pace. By doing this, it allowed the drive tires to be able to successfully grasp the metal fin on the bottom of the train (instead of sliding through it) so the tires would gradually slow down the train as it came into the station and parked. Also, for safe practice, only one train is ran when it is raining.

However, I do remember on one of my rides on Lightning Rod, my particular train overshot the station and we had to be backed up into spot. I can't remember the weather conditions for that day in particular, but nonetheless, this seems to be a recurring issue.

That is my theory though based on my operation experiences.

TL;Dr: I believe if the train went too fast in the course, that the system would auto estop on the final brake run and is unrelated to the train overshooting in the station.

Connor

fanny pack enthusiast
Sep 20, 2013
Virginia
www.youtube.com
I'm hoping that these launch issues are more so stemming from them uninstalling and reinstalling all of the launch and brake hardware for the retracking.
From what I've been told a lot of the main problems are stemming from the physical launch mechanism. The launch has to launch the train not only forward, but also uphill, and this all has to happen at the same time, and the train has to be constantly accelerating in unison in order to go from flat to uphill. Any small error with the launch will send the ride into an immediate E-Stop and the launch will come to a halt. Squirrels and other critters will commonly climb on the track or the launch and trip the sensors in the process, forcing an E-Stop and shutting the ride down for an extended period.

Jun 17, 2011
Richmond
zachcphoto.com
Got a few rides in today, thought it was pretty much indistinguishable from when I last rode it in 2017. Maybe a tiny bit slower over the launch, but definitely not noticeably (or any) different after that in my opinion. Tons of trees down though; everything between the park boundary fence and the ride was cut, as well as the trees that were within the ride's layout. A few photos for your enjoyment:

ZCZ_4622-1.jpg
ZCZ_4645-2.jpg
ZCZ_4695-1.jpg
ZCZ_4703-4.jpg
ZCZ_4763-1.jpg

Login or Register to Hide This Ad