Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

Zachary

Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Virginia
To give people an idea of what's happening in zoo, it involves a substantial sell-off of animals. In theory, the animals the park gets rid of shouldn't include the park staples (read anything that is always out and about- wolves, eagles, horses, etc) but we shall see what happens in practice.

RE: Chain-Wide SEAS Layoffs Announced

Maybe SEAS has forgotten about this:

SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment™ inspired more than 23 million guests in 2013 to celebrate and conserve the natural world. Through up-close animal encounters, educational exhibits and innovative entertainment, our guests leave with a heightened sensitivity to the world around them and an awareness of the plight of animals in the wild. The parks' commitment to research and conservation also has led to advances in the care of animals in both zoological facilities and wild populations.

We focus our support for conservation in four areas: 1) the rescue of ill, orphaned, and injured animals, 2) funding and other forms of support for research, 3) funding and direct action in conservation and 4) education and interpretation of animals. SeaWorld has spent millions of dollars conserving wild animals and wild places, as well as supporting critical conservation work on every continent. It’s important to note also that millions of people each year learn about animals in our SeaWorld parks, as well as the importance of conservation and wildlife preservation. We also partner with and support numerous organizations including National Wildlife Federation, World Wildlife Fund and The Nature Conservancy.

The SeaWorld® & Busch Gardens® Conservation Fund is just one way our guests can get involved. The Fund supports wildlife research, habitat protection, animal rescue and conservation education in the U.S. and countries all over the world. The Fund provides an outlet for park visitors to help protect wildlife and, because SeaWorld Parks & Entertainment provides all administrative and development costs as well as staffing and infrastructure, commits 100 percent of donations to on-the-ground wildlife conservation efforts.

Considering I have donated to the conservation fund countless times, I can say this is not what I have payed for. I pay for animals to live under the care of Seaworld and Busch Gardens, not to be sold to who knows where. The company will be recieving many letters of discontent from me, and I encourage all of you who have donated also, to do the same.

So, I have said this several times before, but I want to re-emphasize it in this context. For me, what makes SEAS parks unique is the blend of thrill rides and animals exhibits. I love the behind the scenes tours more than the coasters, to be honest. I think they are dimishing the aspects of their parks that set them apart from other theme parks. They all have shows and rides. The opportunity to work with animal trainers is unusual and makes my Plat Pass worth the money.

Honestly, I’m not very interested in BGW, if it is reduced to a well-manicured theater, hosting a bunch of drunk parents.

The animal museum also doesn't have London Rocks, which severely hurts their attractivness.

Paraphrased from our dear friends at BGW Rocks!

Reactions: Mad Ludwig

This is just a personal thought and I know it may not be popular. I have to agree with Nic. You all know my opinion of Ent within SEAS and BGW in particular, I truly believe it is a mismanaged and far too costly entity. Further while attractive shrubs are not of much concern to me. Food at most theme parks is no where worth the price and frankly at BGW often not great. Given my weight I can only squeeze into 3 of the coasters at BGW, Nessie, Apollo, and Bolt. (frankly Bolt is "meh" to me anyway.)

X-Mas town is not my cup of tea, but HOS is cool. What is left? For me it is the animals. I love the animals. I have spent hours just hanging out with the Serval (not particularly good company, if I am honest). The sheep are a constant source of pure joy to me, and like my sister I enjoy the BTS tours.

I have always been very proud of the park for its training techniques and modern approach to conditioning.

I spend my dollars so I can hang out with my friends and because of the conservation fund.

If that is not on the table, or it turns out the money I have been giving goes into the general fund, (I wonder...) I think I truly am done.

I no longer see value-added here. I can hang out with my friends an hour up the road. I like the rides there better anyway. I will miss Nessie, but frankly given the way the park is running its affairs, I doubt they have the common sense to keep her around.

My pass has some time on it yet, but I do not think I will renew.

RE: Large Zoology Cuts Hitting Busch Gardens Williamsburg

I split the zoo department news into a new thread as I think this story is going to be a really big one moving forward.

From what I can gather the park has quickly hauled nearly 50 animals off property and handed them off to other SEAS parks as well as regional zoos and the like. Why this is all happening so fast, I don't know, but it is a bit alarming to watch from the sidelines. BGW's bird and small mammal collections sound like they're taking the largest hits.

Nicole said:
I wonder what the moves are doing to the animals?  That has to be stressful for them.

I don't think the company cares at this point all they care about is this:

tumblr_m084y3qKZw1rom9flo1_500.gif

(First one to count this gif until 50 million gets a prize!)

Reactions: Ziva and Nicole
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad