Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Mar 16, 2016
Richmond, VA
Per the 2017 sneak preview posted today, the Kraken coaster at SWO will be retrofit into a VR coaster in 2017.

https://seaworldcares.com/2016/09/New-Exciting-Attractions-Encounters-Planned-for-2017/

Kraken Virtual Reality at SeaWorld® Orlando – SeaWorld will debut its first digitally enhanced ride experience as the legendary Kraken roller coaster is transformed into a virtual reality (VR) coaster experience. This thrill ride will be the only VR coaster experience in Florida and guests will embark on a deep sea mission alongside sea creatures inspired by extinct and legendary animals of the past, including the mighty Kraken.  

Reactions: Jesy
RE: Kraken going VR

Considering Kraken's operations aren't the best out there combined with how long it takes at the Flags parks to dispatch their trains with VR, I'd expect waits to increase pretty significantly thanks to the VR.

Even with SWO's low crowd levels, Antarctica can pull up to hour long waits on the slowest of days. Kraken will probably be the same.

Reactions: Nicole

I've rarely ever had to wait in a line for Kraken. Even on the weekends when manta or journey to Atlantis has hour waits(while Antarctica has like a 3 hour wait just to SEE the penguins:p). Though the VR might slow the operations down a bit I hardly believe that, unless the Kraken VR becomes very very popular, that Kraken will have a long wait.

I agree. We go to Orlando the same week every year (the week of Thanksgiving), so my frame of reference is pretty narrow, but we rarely have to wait more that a couple of ride cycles to get on Kracken. IMO, load times are way worse on Manta, with the tilting trains and all. No idea how to feel about the added VR element, but I'll certainly give it a try next year.

My observation is that the ride operations at Kraken are significantly slower than at the other coasters. The fact that the lines are relatively short mitigate the effect, but if you observe how long it takes between train dispatches, you can easily see the potential train wreck.

I rode Dare Devil Dive at SFOG with and without the VR. I used a front of the line pass once and only had about two trains of people in front of me the other. In both cases the wait was extreme. The VR goggles at least doubled the loading time, as they had to adjust and sometimes replace each person's set.

I suppose SWO's technology could be more reliable, but given how slow Kraken already is, I anticipate that lines will more than double.

Reactions: Shane

Details for the new VR experience on Kraken have been released including it's new name Kraken Unleashed. It appears that the story of the ride is tied into Journey to Atlantis as rumored before. Check out the details here at NewsPlusNotes.com. I have to hope that the park decides to add story elements to Atlantis to tie this into Kraken Unleashed.

Maybe that is why some of the Atlantis elements are turned off? Maybe they are going to update it to tie into Kraken?

Reactions: Shane
RE: Kraken Getting VR

I am always surprised at how much I enjoy Kraken, probably because I just forget between visits. I think is an incredibly underrated ride. Maybe this makeover will breath some new life into it.

Nicole said:
Maybe that is why some of the Atlantis elements are turned off?  Maybe they are going to update it to tie into Kraken?

That's supposedly been the plan for a while. I really hope that what we see now with Journey To Atlantis is just a transitional phase. I've been following new rumors about that ride for a long time (at least two years), including the addition of a vertical lift or new water ride altogether, which we now know to be Infinity falls.

This link to Kraken was also part of that rumor from a while back.

Plans change as time passes, one of the early concepts may have actually been an Atlantis replacement and then they opted for an entirely separate ride with Infinity Falls. I'm very hopeful they tie Kraken Unleashed and Atlantis together neatly.

Reactions: wombat96 and Nicole

Shane said:
Plans change as time passes, one of the early concepts may have actually been an Atlantis replacement and then they opted for an entirely separate ride with Infinity Falls. I'm very hopeful they tie Kraken Unleashed and Atlantis together neatly.

Perhaps, but still, They only have one water ride at the moment...in Orlando.

Reactions: Jonathan S

I think tying Kraken Unleashed and Atlantis together is a good idea, but...I'm still not a fan of the whole VR on coasters idea in the first place. I liked Kraken the way it was...it wasn't my favorite at the park (that spot goes to Manta, I love love love that ride), but it was solid. However I shall withhold final judgment until I've actually ridden it. :)

...also I like the eel theming at the entrance...:p

Reactions: Zimmy

The Kraken eggs are the best.

The VR coasters I have ridden to date at Six Flags over George and Six Flags America, have been painful and ineffective. I have hope for Kraken, however, because it s supposed to be an entirely different system.

Do we know if the Kraken eggs are even still there? Or have they gone the way of the giant eel (which I will miss)?

Reactions: ElsaManta

Nicole-The eggs were pretty cool! Terrific (not!), that sounds quite ominous.:/ I hope Kraken isn't ruined by the new system... Maybe they'll make it so you can choose whether to experience the VR or not?

Joe-I don't know. *goes to look for pictures* I still don't know.:p That eel was great. I wish SWO would just keep the old theming, to be honest.

Reactions: Zachary
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad