Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Sep 24, 2013
Williamsburg Pottery Plans Futuristic Theme Park

A biodome, indoor theme park and virtual reality center will be coming to the Williamsburg Pottery if the company’s Vice President Peter Kao achieves his dream.

The Williamsburg Pottery has been a staple of the community since 1938, but a website created in June has revealed that its management may be considering a new attraction for the 750-acre property on which it sits.

KingsLand USA is a proposed multi-purpose attraction that — if approved and constructed — would operate alongside the Williamsburg Pottery. The website lists concept designs for several potential attractions that could be constructed on the property, including an indoor theme park, water park, virtual reality center, international culture performance center, bio-dome, timeshares and hotels, as well as a senior assisted living community.

According to a brochure Williamsburg Pottery provided for prospective investors, “an in-depth analysis by the highly respected Leisure Business Advisors LLC (LBA) has concluded that a destination resort would be the highest and best use of this property.”

The brochure was obtained from the James City County Administrator’s office through a Freedom of Information Act request.

“We want to transition into a new era,” said Kao, who is spearheading the KingsLand USA project.  “We want to develop this land to bring more tourists, more money, and more prosperity for locals. The impact will be huge.”

Kao said that he has met with local governments and is seeking approval for the project.

James City County Administrator Bryan Hill said that he has been asked to review proposals from Williamsburg Pottery for other ideas for the property, including a colonial-themed hologram museum.  However, he said he is unfamiliar with the proposed KingsLand USA that is now on the website.

“This proposal has not made it to the Board [of Supervisors]. It has not gone through proper channels,” said Hill. “If they wanted to build it as it appears on the [web]site, they would have to go through and propose a zoning change.”

Hill was quoted on the KingsLand website as saying the project will serve as “an opportunity to combine the latest technology with an innovative tourism concept.” He says that quote refers to the proposal he saw for a colonial-themed hologram museum and was taken out of context.

“It is a grand idea in terms of what I was asked to respond to, but what is online right now is not that,” added Hill.

“The Virginia Film and Cultural Theme Park will be a high-tech entertainment and education complex in Williamsburg, Virginia, that uses state-of-the-art, virtual reality technology to tell the story of the United States of America,” stated the proposal that Hill received in 2015. “The virtual reality attraction will be the cornerstone of the Virginia Film and Cultural Theme Park, a 700+ acre complex that when fully built out will include a cultural park, a 5-star hotel, restaurants, retail shopping, office space, and residential housing.”

The KingsLand website now includes many more attractions than those listed in the 2015 proposal, many of which are displayed in a video on the KingsLand site, announcing the endeavor.

When it comes to actually implementing the KingsLand plan, Kao is optimistic that the project will be supported by county government.

“We are relying on the County to ensure that Zoning is supportive of the Project and that the Planning Dept and other will perform expedited reviews as the Project moves forward,” said Peter Kao to Bryan Hill in a letter from March 2015 that was obtained through a FOIA request to James City County.

“Administratively I can be of assistance,” Hill responded in an email.  “Legislatively, I suggest you provide a date you can bring your project to the my board [sic] and request their support.”

Kao said that the Williamsburg Pottery would welcome community feedback on the project and he plans to move forward with the concept shown on the website.

“If anybody can give us more ideas we would be more than happy.”

RE: Williamsburg Pottery Plans Futuristic Theme Park

Username said:
Williamsburg Pottery Plans Futuristic Theme Park

A biodome, indoor theme park and virtual reality center will be coming to the Williamsburg Pottery if the company’s Vice President Peter Kao achieves his dream.

The Williamsburg Pottery has been a staple of the community since 1938, but a website created in June has revealed that its management may be considering a new attraction for the 750-acre property on which it sits.

KingsLand USA is a proposed multi-purpose attraction that — if approved and constructed — would operate alongside the Williamsburg Pottery. The website lists concept designs for several potential attractions that could be constructed on the property, including an indoor theme park, water park, virtual reality center, international culture performance center, bio-dome, timeshares and hotels, as well as a senior assisted living community.

According to a brochure Williamsburg Pottery provided for prospective investors, “an in-depth analysis by the highly respected Leisure Business Advisors LLC (LBA) has concluded that a destination resort would be the highest and best use of this property.”

The brochure was obtained from the James City County Administrator’s office through a Freedom of Information Act request.

“We want to transition into a new era,” said Kao, who is spearheading the KingsLand USA project.  “We want to develop this land to bring more tourists, more money, and more prosperity for locals. The impact will be huge.”

Kao said that he has met with local governments and is seeking approval for the project.

James City County Administrator Bryan Hill said that he has been asked to review proposals from Williamsburg Pottery for other ideas for the property, including a colonial-themed hologram museum.  However, he said he is unfamiliar with the proposed KingsLand USA that is now on the website.

“This proposal has not made it to the Board [of Supervisors]. It has not gone through proper channels,” said Hill. “If they wanted to build it as it appears on the [web]site, they would have to go through and propose a zoning change.”

Hill was quoted on the KingsLand website as saying the project will serve as “an opportunity to combine the latest technology with an innovative tourism concept.” He says that quote refers to the proposal he saw for a colonial-themed hologram museum and was taken out of context.

“It is a grand idea in terms of what I was asked to respond to, but what is online right now is not that,” added Hill.

“The Virginia Film and Cultural Theme Park will be a high-tech entertainment and education complex in Williamsburg, Virginia, that uses state-of-the-art, virtual reality technology to tell the story of the United States of America,” stated the proposal that Hill received in 2015. “The virtual reality attraction will be the cornerstone of the Virginia Film and Cultural Theme Park, a 700+ acre complex that when fully built out will include a cultural park, a 5-star hotel, restaurants, retail shopping, office space, and residential housing.”

The KingsLand website now includes many more attractions than those listed in the 2015 proposal, many of which are displayed in a video on the KingsLand site, announcing the endeavor.

When it comes to actually implementing the KingsLand plan, Kao is optimistic that the project will be supported by county government.

“We are relying on the County to ensure that Zoning is supportive of the Project and that the Planning Dept and other will perform expedited reviews as the Project moves forward,” said Peter Kao to Bryan Hill in a letter from March 2015 that was obtained through a FOIA request to James City County.

“Administratively I can be of assistance,” Hill responded in an email.  “Legislatively, I suggest you provide a date you can bring your project to the my board [sic] and request their support.”

Kao said that the Williamsburg Pottery would welcome community feedback on the project and he plans to move forward with the concept shown on the website.

“If anybody can give us more ideas we would be more than happy.”
I can't imagine the county approving this or anybody actually investing in this.

Well I have just question If they do so happen to be given the go ahead. Is it even possible for them to attempt this project ?

kendrick-lamar-reaction-meme-15.jpg

For me I just can't see this being approved by the county or invested in. Most of the concepts they're presenting, we already have in Williamsburg and are successful. On top of that, it's just an outrageous concept that I can't wrap my head around. Their website itself is also contradicting. www.kingslandusa.net

Some of these concepts actual look pretty neat. I have also seen similar things featured on Travel Channel so they are doable given enough money. That said I am not sure that Williamsburg is the right place for such a venue. While we are a tourist hub we are also a regional and seasonal hub I am not sure that we could support it year round or that it wouldn't just take away business from existing attractions and hurt the region.

Reactions: jornor
Kingsland USA

Not sure if this is the right place to put this thread, forgive me if it is. But has anyone heard about Kingsland USA? It's an indoor theme park, water park, AR/VR center, biodome, international cultural village, and assisted living resort the Williamsburg Pottery wants to do.

Here's a link to an article I found: http://wydaily.com/2016/09/27/williamsburg-pottery-plans-major-expansion-with-futuristic-theme-park/

What do y'all think about this?

Admin note: Jingo, I merged your thread into this one.

Anyway, fun fact: This isn't the first time the Pottery has wanted to have an amusement park either. Years ago—probably a decade and a half or two ago at this point—they tried to open up talks with Six Flags to open a park in Williamsburg to compete with Busch Gardens.

Also, as James said, what is with the Pottery's obsession with literally just lighting money on fire?

There is only one way a project of this scale could happen. China. If one of the Chinese government linked construction companies funded and undertook it. I still have major doubts of the county approving anything like this. Then if you have a major foreign government investor it adds even more complications. Some of it looks really neat and doing a few parts of it may be feasible. But the master plan in it's entirety seems like a pipe dream.

As a side note, I did see Chinese writing on the website, so that could be something they are considering.

Reactions: Alf33
I given this a little more thought and a could actually see a far outside chance of this getting approved. IF they can find the investors and IF they can market the proposal correct.

If they pitch this as an investment that could move Williamsburg more to a year round tourist destination remember we are talking inside tourist attraction so no worries about cold weather and such. The pitch would also include that this would be a destination for international travelers that would expand Williamsburg's worldwide appeal. Then I could see this possibly moving through. Lets face it the town is not really having the best time economicly right now. Its better then it was a few years ago but all one has to do is go into just about any shopping center in town and they see empty stores. Then there are the closed up hotels that line parts of 60. I am not saying that I think this is likely as I still put the odds at 9 to 1 against just that it might not be as far out as I and many others thought at first look. Especially considering the 64 widening prodject that should make travel to the area a little easier.

Last I checked, the Pottery wasn't really doing all that well. On my last trip there, the entire complex was completely deserted. Where the hell are they getting the money to fund something like this?

That's why there is no shot unless they find a very rich, very reckless investor. This is a project that would be upwards of a billion for sure. Huge indoor facilities aren't cheap. Cutting edge medical and tech facilities aren't cheap. And giant shiny hotels, aren't cheap. Finally just digging that beautiful pond and moving all that earth, isn't cheap. Biodomes are expensive to build and maintain too. Outside of a foreign investor, I see zero chance.

I first heard about this on TV as one of the local channels had a quick piece on it. I doubt it will happen as in that TV piece they had a few people, generally homeowners, who weren't happy about it as they were scared it was going to bring down their property values and bring in way too much traffic, regardless of the supposed economic benefit. It was also mentioned there were some business' that opposed it.

Highly doubtful. First is the zoning issues as CW still dictates a majority of the rules set in Wmbg/JCC to keep outlandish concepts from being built, colors that can be used, offsets, etc.

Second is the height requirements, BGW was able to build the Mach Tower through a variance on max height of structures that exist in both Wmbg/JCC and it was partially due to the fact the already existing park had large structures and this wasn't a totally new build.

Third, money this would need $100s of millions if not billions to complete at this scale.

One quick thing of interest is they also have a Chinese language website available as their only foreign language translatable sites. One has to wonder if they are looking for some type of foreign interest investment similar to Disney in China which is partially owned by local interests versus wholly owned by DIS.

Good luck but don't see it happening, too many things against them at this point.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad