Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
May 3, 2011
Richmond, Va
The best deals for a season pass is purchasing the year prior. I will list below the dates and prices of the passes below...

2016 Season Pass Records were not recorded
2015 Season Passes
Silver Pass:

**Unavailable at this time**

Gold Pass:
  • [INACTIVE]1st Deal: August 21st- November 2nd [EXTENDED TO NOVEMBER 6th!]$85.50 or 9 Payments of $9.50
  • [INACTIVE]2nd Deal: November 7th- ??? $105.00 or 6 Payments of $17.50

NEW FOR 2015
Gold Pass with Dining
  • [INACTIVE]1st Deal: August 21st- November 2nd [EXTENDED TO NOVEMBER 6th!]$166.50 or 9 Payments of $18.50
  • [INACTIVE]2nd Deal: November 7th- ??? $186.00 or 6 Payments of $31.00

Platinum Pass
  • [INACTIVE]1st Deal: August 21st- November 2nd [EXTENDED TO NOVEMBER 6th!] $184.50 or 9 Payments of $20.50
  • [INACTIVE]2nd Deal: November 7th- ??? $189.00 or 6 Payments of $31.50

NEW FOR 2015
Platinum Pass with Dining
  • [INACTIVE]1st Deal: August 21st- November 2nd [EXTENDED TO NOVEMBER 6th!] $283.50 or 9 Payments of $31.50
  • [INACTIVE]2nd Deal: November 7th- ??? $288.00 or 6 Payments of $48.00

Please refer to the Season Pass web page for information on pass renewal discounts and any group discounts.

New for 2015: Season Pass + Dining! This new option is included with the Gold and Platinum pass (at additional cost) for the 2015 season. This dining pass option includes 1 lunch and 1 dinner (4 hours apart) at select locations that are subject to change. Each meal will include an entree and a side.

See pass for any restrictions.

2014 Season Passes

2014 Season Passes are no longer on sale, these prices are left here to compare past deals to current/ future deals.

Silver Pass:

• [INACTIVE]1st Deal: November 1st- January 12th $72; Buy now, Pay Later (March 15th)
  • [INACTIVE]2nd Deal: January 13th-May 26th [EXTENDED TO JUNE 2ND!] $75; or 6 payments of $12.50
  • [INACTIVE]3rd Deal: June 3rd- November 2nd$78

Gold Pass:

• [INACTIVE]1st Deal: October ?? - October 31st $81 or 9 payments of $9
  • [INACTIVE]2nd Deal: November 1st - January 12th $102; Buy now, Pay Later (March 15th)
  • [INACTIVE]3rd Deal: January 13th-May 26th [EXTENDED TO JUNE 2ND!] $108; or 6 payments of $18
  • [INACTIVE]4th Deal: June 3rd- November 2nd $117
Platinum Pass:

• [INACTIVE]1st Deal: October ?? - October 31st $180 or 9 Payments of $20
  • [INACTIVE]2nd Deal: November 1st- January 12th $187; Buy now, Pay Later (March 15th)
  • [INACTIVE]3rd Deal: January 13th-May 26th [EXTENDED TO JUNE 2ND!] $192; or 6 payments of $31
  • [INACTIVE]]4th Deal: June 3rd- November 2nd$200

This post was last updated: Saturday, November 8th, 2014.

RE: KD Season Passes

Wow! That is the biggest mark-up I have ever seen on season passes this early in the off-season!

The park usually does a series of small markups on the season passes until around Memorial Day weekend when they are at their maximum price for that season.(Course, this year the park stopped selling Gold season passes altogether after Memorial Day weekend and only offered, I believe, the chain wide Platinum pass. I am not sure if the silver passes were still offered at that point [good through Labor Day].

In the past, season passes were at their lowest price from when they went on sale for the following season Labor Day weekend though the last weekend of fall operations. The price then went up 6-8 dollars and stayed at that price though the holidays.

Come January 1st, the price went up again 6-8 dollars and stayed that way until just before the park opened for the season. Once again the price went up 6-8 bucks until the price was raised for the final time around Memorial Day weekend. (As stated above, KD stopped selling Gold season passes after the holiday weekend).

I wonder if Cedar Fair is changing their season pass marketing strategy for the park next year and just going ahead and bumping the season pass cost to the full asking price for 2014 and is done with doing all these incremental price hikes throughout the off-season and spring.

Reactions: Nicole and I305Evan

Personally, I wish they would think about their pricing structure and pass benefits. Tony and I always get Platinum passes at BGW, but struggle to justify even a regular season pass at KD. Despite the fact that his family lives near Cedar Point, we very often find it cheaper to buy individual tickets than invest in a pass. This year the 2013 access to Haunt made the 2014 pass reasonable, but who knows if we will even renew it next year.

For me part of the problem is the dearth of extra benefits. I know Cedar Fair and KD passes are significantly cheaper than Sea World and BW passes, but they still don't seem to be as good a deal.

I guess KD is so inexpensive anyway, it doesn't matter that much, but I would like to feel that I am getting something more than free regular parking and some early start times.

Sorry, for whining...

One additional thought. I am certain that I go to Sea World parks much more often than I would, if I didn't have the pass. So, by not making the season pass worth my while to begin with, Cedar Fair is losing all of my impulse business.

Well, it sounds like KD is going to try to emulate Kings Island by offering early ride times next season. KI has been doing Beast early walk backs for years and might have been doing something similar for Diamondback. Course, it probably won't matter to the majority of folks if Kings Dominion picks a Wednesday, in the middle of the week, to enact this benefit. Most people are working and with light crowds during a weekday, it really doesn't have much of an impact benefit wise (Now, if early ride times were on a Saturday, the benefit has some worth).

It sounds like they could be dropping the Scooby/Snoopy discount bucks, (pay in advance: $9 dollars for 10 discount bucks to use in the park), and just offering the 10% season pass discount at select shops & restaurants by showing or scanning your season pass. Those old discount bucks were great during the '70's, '80's, and '90's when Point-of-Sale computers did not exist. But, with all the latest electronic features on current POS systems, those discount bucks should have gone the way of the Dinosaurs 8-10 years ago. Plus, KD could offer limited time additional discounts at select locations in the park and notify guests by tweeting them.

There is a good possibility that Kings Dominion could get RFID bands in 2014; where you put a cash amount on it and use it in the park instead of carrying around cash or credit cards. Sounds especially great when using the water park. Dorney was the pilot park this year for Cedar Fair. The folks in Sandusky said it worked to their satisfaction and they would be rolling a modified version out to most of the parks in 2014. I believe Dorney had 2 versions of the RFID bands; a "one-time" band used during a one day visit and a more permanent band to use for multi-visits throughout the season (season pass holders?). You could purchase a band voucher online before you came to the park with a money amount on it. There were machines at the front gate that would scan the voucher and dispense the band with the cash amount preloaded on it. Or you could initiate the whole transaction in person while at the park. I believe, with the more permanent bands, you could go back and add additional cash to it. Sorry, I don't know the minute details on how everything worked this past year at Dorney.

I am not sure what other benefits they could offer. Kings Dominion does not really do concerts through the whole operating season like they did in the 1970's and 1980's. They don't do special events like the Food & Wine festival at BGW or any behind-the-scenes tours. So, I really can't think of any additional benefits they could add.

I still wish Kings Dominion and maybe other Cedar Fair parks had a season pass center like SeaWorlds Parks and Ent. does to be able to see the latest discounts that can be purchased and also the option to purchase tickets with our season pass online instead of having to go to the park.

I find it EXTREMELY difficult to navigate their ticketing system and discounts/deals for my bring-a-friend discounts and such. I believe it will make season pass holders lives easier and make it more worth their while to purchase one.

Reactions: Nicole

I decided to get one for KD 2014 because the BGW ship is sinking quickly and I'm very excited for the new enhancements for next year. That being said, I was kind of annoyed that even my 2014 pass got me in last year, none of the features (including parking). Granted it was only one visit for 2013, but it's a bit confusing to advertise the pass with them, but not actually get them until next year.

Reactions: Mushroom and Nicole

Evan said:
I still wish Kings Dominion and maybe other Cedar Fair parks had a season pass center like SeaWorlds Parks and Ent. does to be able to see the latest discounts that can be purchased and also the option to purchase tickets with our season pass online instead of having to go to the park.

I find it EXTREMELY difficult to navigate their ticketing system and discounts/deals for my bring-a-friend discounts and such. I believe it will make season pass holders lives easier and make it more worth their while to purchase one.

Sea World / Busch runs a tighter ship when it comes to overall unity in corporate polices & practices. They have a tight grip on policies and procedures across all the parks. But, they also have an unbroken management team/style that has not gone through the corporate upheaval that Kings Dominion and its sister parks have seen since Paramount took over in 1993.

I my opinion, Cedar Fair was so disjointed in coordinating corporate policy/practices throughout the park chain when Kinzel was in charge. The old Cedar Fair management still tried to operate as if they were a small park chain. Their existing legacy parks were way behind the curve in technology and they realized how far outdated their systems were when Cedar Fair bought the former Paramount park chain and saw what Kings Dominion and the other Paramount parks had available. But, Kinzel and his management group kept trying to run the chain as they always did.

Ouimet and the new management team knew Cedar Fair could not keep going down that same road and has been in the process of bringing more unified policies and practices across the chain. The problem is that this is something you cannot change overnight. They have made some good progress; but, it is going to take another couple years to get things set in a more unified manner. Remember Ouimet has only been at the helm of this corporate ship for about 2 years.

I hope by 2015 or 2016, Cedar Fair will be able to set policy and have procedures to make sure this is communicated throughout the chain in a unified manner. This includes the information technology systems and user interfaces.

Hopefully someone can answer this for me.

Is the only time you can get season passes on the 9 monthly payments during October or is that deal started again before opening but at a higher price.

Thanks for any and all answers.

Yes it is. I believe in the past they offered it, but I believe some would purchase the pass and sign up for the 9 monthly payments and then cancel their pass after one or two visits after the purchase and then they would cancel the payments.

I'm not sure on that, but I think I've heard someone say they have done that before. I could be wrong about it be offered during the main season as well, maybe someone can help clarify that.

But, yes, the 9 monthly payments is only offered during October. Right now they are offering a buy now, pay later (March 15th) program which will be ending soon.

Reactions: VACoasterFan

Evan said:
Yes it is. I believe in the past they offered it, but I believe some would purchase the pass and sign up for the 9 monthly payments and then cancel their pass after one or two visits after the purchase and then they would cancel the payments.

I'm not sure on that, but I think I've heard someone say they have done that before. I could be wrong about it be offered during the main season as well, maybe someone can help clarify that.

But, yes, the 9 monthly payments is only offered during October. Right now they are offering a buy now, pay later (March 15th) program which will be ending soon.

Thanks for the info,

I can get tickets super cheap at the Hospital I work at, probably do a day trip and decide whether to add King's Dominion Season pass for 2015 season. Gotta decide whether to drop Busch Gardens or try to keep both for 2015.
Thanks again.

The "Buy Now, Pay Later (March 15th)" program ends tonight for all season passes. Make sure you buy your pass sometime today if you want to take advantage of this deal!

Man, I am glad I got my pass renewed at the end of September! I've already saved about $27 by being an early-bird!

Hard to believe the regular season pass, (Gold), is over $100 dollars now. Those Singing Mushrooms & Frog must be getting paid a premium to perform at the park this year! :D

The only problem I have with it is the price is almost double the regular gold pass. But then again my family doesn't eat in the park because my Mom's gluten allergy.

It is an option that you will need to look into. It won't agree with most people as they may not visit the park that often. Or may not eat the food that the park sells.

However, for me, It'll be worth it simply because I have visited the park at least 16 times this year and have purchased a meal at the park at least 75% of those visits.

Reactions: Jonquil
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad