Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
I concur. I'm super, super skeptical of this move. Maybe they have some interesting special event(s) planned that could make this worthwhile?

For BGW there was a real argument for January/February ops being a good idea because, even if it wasn't profitable, being open could still reduce off-season losses. That said, with the popularity of the dining and drink plans at Kings Dominion, I can imagine a world where these limited off-season ops could actually increase off-season losses.

I don't know. I can't really imagine this working. I suspect this will be the only chance we have to go to KD in late January for a long time. Hopefully they'll prove me wrong though.

Last edited:
KD has updated the hours on the website.

January and February the park will be open 10a-5pm every Saturday and Sunday.
March 10a-6pm every Saturday and Sunday.

Looks like regular season will begin Friday, March 31st with hours of 11a-8pm and will be open throughout the following week for Spring Break week. After that Saturdays will return to 10pm closings.

KD has updated the hours on the website.

January and February the park will be open 10a-5pm every Saturday and Sunday.
March 10a-6pm every Saturday and Sunday.

Looks like regular season will begin Friday, March 31st with hours of 11a-8pm and will be open throughout the following week for Spring Break week. After that Saturdays will return to 10pm closings.
Kind of silly to be open for a "Spring Break Week" when Spring Break is all over the place in the area.

Reactions: Mwe BGW
Given what I heard about the plan to enclose the Outpost Grill's outdoor seating in a tent for WF, I wouldn't be too surprised that they may do similar things with other dining, including repurposing existing buildings for indoor experiences.

However, I'd be curious how many rides they plan on running and if there's any future indoor/dark ride construction plans down the road.

Reactions: Zachary
I concur. I'm super, super skeptical of this move. Maybe they have some interesting special event(s) planned that could make this worthwhile?

For BGW there was a real argument for January/February ops being a good idea because, even if it wasn't profitable, being open could still reduce off-season losses. That said, with the popularity of the dining and drink plans at Kings Dominion, I can imagine a world where these limited off-season ops could actually increase off-season losses.

I don't know. I can't really imagine this working. I suspect this will be the only chance we have to go to KD in February for at long time. Hopefully they'll prove me wrong though.
Possibly they could give chef some freedom to come up with some event only non meal plan stuff that would help to simulate the events and offset the cost.

Big thing they can keep open is the ice skating rink and igloos, which are all incremental revenue. Maybe limit the park to Planet Snoopy, the Eiffel Tower, a Grand Stand show, special food tents, and a handful of other rides to make it a family event oriented period in Jan/Feb. Come March, open up bigger rides as the temps improve.

SUPER excited about this decision. Idk if they'll turn a profit due to their location and potential bad weather, but having the competition in Williamsburg closed during January doesn't hurt! My initial thoughts:
1. I hope they can keep the skating rink open on I-Street until March!
2. The meal plans just became a RIDICULOUSLY good deal.
3. It's real shame that Jungle X probably won't be open, because FOF would be a nice relief from the cold! At least that closure may fix a lot of their staffing issues during the winter months.

Special events and reliance on the culinary department cannot overcome:

1. The weather in the winter in Doswell;
2. The inevitable staffing issues;
3. The weather in the winter in Doswell;
4. The impact on maintenance cycles;
5. The weather in the winter in Doswell;
6. The incredibly limited number of attractions that are likely to be open; and
7. The weather in the winter in Doswell.

What a horrible idea.

What a horrible idea.

I actually think switching to a year-round model could help with Staffing issues, since it would provide some stability for folks. As far as maintenance, I don't think that is an issue, they can still close down rides and areas for upkeep and maintenance. Not every ride has to run in January. And as far as weather goes, I think the staff at KD are quite familiar with the weather in VA, given the length of time the park has been operating in the state.

Weather wise if BGW is open/closed then KD will probably be open/closed, so that's largely a wash. Big thing this does is keep passholders who might go to BGW and get passes because of the Jan-Mar opportunities from doing so. It's a defensive move, but likely necessary.

Weather wise if BGW is open/closed then KD will probably be open/closed, so that's largely a wash. Big thing this does is keep passholders who might go to BGW and get passes because of the Jan-Mar opportunities from doing so. It's a defensive move, but likely necessary.

Except that BGW canned year-round ops for 2023 after the trouble in 2022. I just can't see how KD can pull off what BGW couldn't.

I can imagine experimenting with a slightly extended season, but this looks like a massive overextension to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Unagi and Nicole

What a horrible idea.

The weather is definitely a factor as well as the high number of closed attractions. I think that staffing while likely be more stable then you anticipate.

But beyond that I don't think it's fair to categorize this as a horrible idea. As year round schooling and other factors continue to change we are probably looking at a reduction of parks summer profits and it only make good business sense to start to explore other potential money making areas. As I said I am VERY skeptical of this plan but let's wait to see the execution before declaring it horrible.

I probably wouldn't visit during this because it's a 2 to 2.5 hour drive for me depending on traffic and with limited stuff open it's not going to be worth it (plus I can certainly go ice skating much closer to me, so the rink being open is not important to me. That's cool during winterfest, though). But I suppose more local people may find it worth the trip.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad