Which Park Is Better?

• Total voters
Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Aug 17, 2010
I have found an interesting dichotomy between the people that prefer Disney and Universal. I think a lot of this has to do with a person's personality type, and it is always fun to see who thinks Universal is better than Disney, and who thinks Disney is champion of the two. Please answer the poll and give reasoning below.

I think that Universal is much better than Disney, personally. I'm not too big of a Disney fan, but I love Universal. For me, it comes down to the fact that when I was eight, I visited all four Disney parks and Universal Studios Florida in the same trip. I was blown away by Universal. I loved Jaws, Men in Black, and particularly, I was fascinated by Twister.

So, what park is better?

I've been to all of the Disney parks and SeaWorld Orlando and I liked SeaWorld better than any of the Disney parks. I just don't see what the big deal is...

I like Disney better because of all the extra details they put in that they really dont have to. Yes, I know alot of other parks pay attention to detail but I think Disney goes the extra mile.

It depends for me. I really enjoy Universal. I also loved the old Ghostbusters show, JAWS, Waterworld Extravaganza, Back to the Future ride, King Kong, Jurassic Park, etc. The one thing about disney though is there attention to detail in their theming. They do a great job. Also the Characters are a big draw. They're good at interacting with children and adults. I'll never forget when we met Pocohontas and when we told her where we were from, she said "oh, that's just around the river bend from me." Or when we met Cinderella's Step-sisters, they acted like they were fighting over me. That interaction is probably the best part about the parks. Epcot is really good with their ever changing technology displays and wine festival. Another big plus for me is Disney's Hollywood Studios. I really enjoyed the Car Stunt Show and the behind the scenes aspects of a lot of the attractions there.

Anyways, I think they're about equal in my mind. But I don't think I could go to Disney all the time. I'd prefer Universal if I was forced to choose which one to stay at for eternity. Epcot would be a close second though.

In my opinion, I think the theming is relatively comparable between the parks. Maybe a slight edge to Disney, but it is certainly not overwhelming. I think that Busch themes just as well as Disney, a big part in their Most Beautiful Park Award. However, as pertaining to ride quality and creativity since approximately 1998, I think Universal Creative smokes Disney Imagineers. Imagineers everywhere should be embarrassed. What big, amazing attractions has Disney created that can honestly compare to Harry Potter alone? Disney still never matched Spiderman, and Universal attractions are far more unique and interesting to me.

You must be kidding when you say Busch themes as well as Disney....hahah Have you seen Darkastle???? The theming ends and the grey building begins. Disney would have had the castle go all of the way back beyond where the eye can see or construct a themed wall. They would never leave such a thing visible. Also, the average cost of a coaster at bgw is around 15-20 million whereas with disney it is 30 and up. The new Expedition Everest cost around $100 million. Disney goes above and beyond in regards to theming. I think bgw does fairly well with the capital it has to work with, but nothing like Disney. Look up Tokyo DisneySea and tell me Busch does just as well with theming as they do...(although not owned by disney..disney's imagineers designed the entire park). Ok, so Universal has Harry Potter. Do you think there was a movie for 'It's a small world after all" or "Matterhorn Bobsleds"? No, Disney imagineers came up with those from scratch and they have become iconic rides. Universal makes awesome rides. However, they just take high grossing films and recreate them into a ride. Anyone with enough money can do that. I like all three companies for what hey have to offer, but Disney's theming is superior to busch and their imagination has definitely surpassed that of Universal's. Ok...rant over...time for sleep...

OK, so I exaggerated some with my Busch theming comment. (I knew I'd regret saying that for effect). First of all, Matterhorn is based off of a movie. (Three Men and Mountain?) Secondly, since the inception of Disneyland and ever since Haunted Mansion and Pirates were built, what has Disney done with their rides? They have mostly built them based off of their movies. Plus, your examples hail from the 50's and 60's, and I was speaking in terms of the last ten years or so. Yes, Expedition Everest is probably their best ride in that time. And, when Dueling Dragons debuted at IoA, it had a theme unto its own, though it has been rethemed. So, save your comment about theming quality, I have to disagree entirely.

I think the Islands of Adventure theming is very good. At least comparable to Disney. My main qualm with Disney is outside of a few rides, there's nothing for adults that want something a little more extreme.

Totally agree, Pandora. What I was really attempting to say with my previous and controversial theming comment is that I like the way that Universal and Busch theme their hamlets more than Disney. I personally do not enjoy Tomorrowland or Fantasyland where the theming of rides is stellar and the land itself feels cliched. However, at BGW France and Italy are very well themed and very unique. IoA also. I knew when Ii started this thread that controversy would ensue, and I wanted to see what people thought. Honestly, I'm just not that big of a fan of Disney.

Franco said:
OK, so I exaggerated some with my Busch theming comment. (I knew I'd regret saying that for effect). First of all, Matterhorn is based off of a movie. (Three Men and Mountain?) Secondly, since the inception of Disneyland and ever since Haunted Mansion and Pirates were built, what has Disney done with their rides? They have mostly built them based off of their movies. Plus, your examples hail from the 50's and 60's, and I was speaking in terms of the last ten years or so. Yes, Expedition Everest is probably their best ride in that time. And, when Dueling Dragons debuted at IoA, it had a theme unto its own, though it has been rethemed. So, save your comment about theming quality, I have to disagree entirely.

Matterhorn is not based off a movie. It is inspired. Third Man and Mountain is about a guy climbing a mountain that killed his father. They named the ride matterhorn because that is where they filmed the movie...on matterhorn mountain. Having a ride with bobsleds coming down a mountain hardly relates to a guy climbing a mountain. In the movie the mountain is called the "Citadel". California Screamin and Rock 'n' roller could be used in place of matterhorn if need be.

I agree with pandora. Disney is not well suited for adults. It never really has been. Young adults maybe..18-25.

In response to Franco: I see what you mean about Busch doing a good job with theming their hamlets. I've always felt England, France and Italy were themed well. I also agree with your thoughts on tomorrowland and fantasyland.

^in response to *your last* Franco:

Disney doesnt build their parks for thrill, or even older people. Their parks are for children, and children dont ride rides like Hulk and Dr. Dooms Fearfall, whil Disney has thrill they do enough to get by with it. And in my opinion like I said earlier Disney goes the extra mile. For example, as you walk down Main Street at MK you are walking thru different time periods, so in the earlier years all the lamps are gas lamps, and as you make your way into modern America they all change into electric lamps.

michaelcollier1 said:
Their parks are for children, and children dont ride rides like Hulk and Dr. Dooms Fearfall, whil Disney has thrill they do enough to get by with it.

What?

I think disney is more suited for kids and older adults. Def. not the 18-25 range though. Not a knock on disney at all. It's just the way it is.

I am 21 and love Disney. I go to Orlando 2/3 times a year since I was little and only visited Universal parks maybe twice. There is nothing there that makes me so ooo I want to go there. Harry Potter World looks cool and pictures but IRL it isn't all that great. Disney has the quality and longevity edge over any Universal Park. Disney has slowly began to step up their thrill department as management and consumer demands change. That change hence Everest, Rock'n'Roller, TT, Khali, etc. All of which have came out in the past 15 years. Disney has as of recently slowed up their building of new attractions to retheme quite a bit of the parks, mainly MK. That once again would be why half of fantasyland is currently shut down and being completely revamped.

No "ride" that Universal has theming and quality wise can be compared to Disney theming. When it comes to restaurants and lodging Disney owns all... In resort transit is still Disney's cake.

As Disney and Busch cannot be compared because they each have their own style; Universal and Disney can only to a degree.

Keep in mind that Disney owns Marvel and makes bank off of every Universal ticket and most all souvenir sales on top of royalties to use the Marvel names on the rides.

Disney also to know my knowledge is the only resort you can fly to an airport, be picked up on themed bus, have a movie to ride to the resort, check in, and have you luggage be waiting in your room having not seen it since you left your first airport. You can spend an entire week there without a need of an automobile. It really gives the feeling that you are in another world.

I'm just saying if you're going down there to ride roller coasters you're going to go to universal, Seaworld and Busch in tampa. There's only one real roller coaster at disney I really look forward to riding: Rock n' Roller Coaster.

Also, while Disney did buy the rights to Marvel, they don't get any money from Universal. But Universal can't make any new Marvel rides with the new version characters. I don't see them holding on to Marvel Island for very long. I could see a retheming of Marvel Island in the near future. Once they are back in the black from the Harry Potter expansion.

If you want coasters and thrill rides Universal is definetly better, but IMO Disney is better. The thread isnt asking which has better rides they were saying which park is better in your opinion, so IMO Disney is better but when it comes to thrill rides Universal knocks Disney out.

My intention in starting this thread was to see what the people on these forums value most in parks. Universal and Disney are probably about as different as two similarly-structured parks can be. Some of you believe that a park has to have good thrill rides to be a great park, others think ambience, superb theming, and overall park feel are necessary for a great park. Personally, I think that a park needs to have rides that appeal to all to be well-rounded, which would include thrill rides and roller coasters. Therefore, I like Universal. Just remember that no one on this board is wrong; it's all opinions and personal preferences.

Scoutn757 said:
No "ride" that Universal has theming and quality wise can be compared to Disney theming. When it comes to restaurants and lodging Disney owns all... In resort transit is still Disney's cake.

LOL.

I like how you put in quotation marks "ride", as if you are implying the rides at universal arent really rides and Disney make the superior rides that are you know... Unique, and thrillling. :rolleyes:

Universal has many "rides" that can touch and trample upon any Disney ride ever... Revenge of the mummy, Jaws(USF), Jurassic park, Forbidden Journey... Spiderman.... I dont see how you can call Universal's ride selection crap... I absolutely hate CP, but their rides are great....

Disney has too many omnimover rides that can be themed highly very easily... They don't require a lot of backstage area. When I ride Disney rides they feel fake, like im watching a show... Universal rides however, make me feel like I'm IN the ride and what's happening in the ride is happening to me literally.

For one, I think you are undermining what Universal did with Harry Potter... What they did was something Disney probably couldn't do, and they WOULDN'T do. Disney proposed to built a Toy Story Mania type ride with harry potter characters where you cast spell and such... Universal built the Forbidden Journey, which is without a doubt the best ride from a technical standpoint ever... It gets you closer to the action than ever before, had arguably the best themed line in history... It's capacity a feat in itself... the transitions from live action to screen... There's just so much about the ride that makes it better than anything else ever created...

[Fixed triple post and a few other things. ~Swiftman]

Youhow2 said:
LOL.

I like how you put in quotation marks "ride", as if you are implying the rides at universal arent really rides and Disney make the superior rides that are you know... Unique, and thrillling. :rolleyes:

Universal has many "rides" that can touch and trample upon any Disney ride ever... Revenge of the mummy, Jaws(USF), Jurassic park, Forbidden Journey... Spiderman.... I dont see how you can call Universal's ride selection crap... I absolutely hate CP, but their rides are great....

Disney has too many omnimover rides that can be themed highly very easily... They don't require a lot of backstage area. When I ride Disney rides they feel fake, like im watching a show... Universal rides however, make me feel like I'm IN the ride and what's happening in the ride is happening to me literally.

For one, I think you are undermining what Universal did with Harry Potter... What they did was something Disney probably couldn't do, and they WOULDN'T do. Disney proposed to built a Toy Story Mania type ride with harry potter characters where you cast spell and such... Universal built the Forbidden Journey, which is without a doubt the best ride from a technical standpoint ever... It gets you closer to the action than ever before, had arguably the best themed line in history... It's capacity a feat in itself... the transitions from live action to screen... There's just so much about the ride that makes it better than anything else ever created...

[Fixed triple post and a few other things. ~Swiftman]

What universal did with Harry Potter? Scale a village... Scaling that disney did 50+ years ago? Harry Potter is not Disney created nor an icon of Disney so why would they have accepted the contract? I see you can name one of the 11 E ticket ride ideas... Now find the other 10 so that you can make your post all the more void.

Mummy... Jaws.... Jurassic Park... Those examples alone speak for your quality standards.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad