Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

Zachary

Administrator
Sep 23, 2009
Virginia
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
RE: Irish Thunder (2003 or Earlier to 2004 or Later)

Irish Thunder was around in 2006. I do not remember if it was around in 2007 or not.

There were two shows that were almost identical: Irish Thunder and Emerald Beat.

Both of them were superior to Celtic Fyre.

I think Emerald beat was replaced by Celtic Fyre, but I have no documentation.

It was Irish Thunder --> Emerald Beat --> Celtic Fyre, yes. I do recall.

Thoroughly enjoyed the first two.

A little singing, a little dancing, a little mysticism. Woomp.

Irish Thunder was definitely around when Darkastle opened, I don't remember if it was around when Griffon opened though. So more like 2001-2005(6) and then Emerald Beat 2006(7)-2009.

Okay...thanks to the internet wayback machine, I can say for sure:

Irish Thunder started in 2001 (original press-release for Killarney for '01 below), and a peak at the BG website from 2006 says "Emerald Beat" is an "all-new show."

So...IT 2001-2005, EB 2006-2008.

Anyway, here's the release:

Irish Eyes Are Smiling At Busch Gardens Williamsburg [ BACK ]
America's "Most Beautiful Theme Park" Gets a Wee Bit Greener This Spring with the Addition of Ireland

WILLIAMSBURG, Va. -- This May Busch Gardens Williamsburg becomes greener than ever with the debut of Ireland, the European-themed park's sixth country. Visitors to the award-winning adventure park experience the charm of the past with the pulse of the present. From adventure and enchantment to food and folklore, guests encounter an authentic journey through the Emerald Isle.

"Ireland delivers an unparalleled journey for our guests in 2001. There's nothing like it anywhere," said Daniel Brown, executive vice president and general manager of Busch Gardens Williamsburg. "The combination of European charm and mythical folklore, along with Ireland's reputation for hospitality made it a natural choice for Busch Gardens Williamsburg."

Guests venture across the Killarney Crossing bridge to the Irish hamlet of Killarney, an Irish festival marketplace, where spirited Irish musicians welcome passersby. Visitors feel like Irish villagers, travel on a white-knuckle 4-D adventure experience through a land of giants, experience traditional Irish dance, shop for Irish goods and enjoy a pint in an authentic pub.

Guests discover Killarney residents love to entertain. The Abbey Stone Theatre is home to a world-class, professional dance show, "Irish Thunder," featuring energetic and original Irish dances along with the fast and furious footwork of Irish step dancing. Strolling musicians and singers in the village square charm guests with song, dance and storytelling. The Killarney Sound Machine's resident leprechaun guarantees a laugh or two as he engages guests in witty conversation and entertains with his magical music machine.

Corkscrew Hill, a thrilling 4-D adventure experience, takes guests on a magical and mystical Celtic journey through a land of giants. The larger-than-life adventure invites passengers to experience life as miniatures in a world ruled by roaming giants. Riders encounter a hungry witch and magical stallion, and soar on the talons of a huge beast. Corkscrew Hill pushes the envelope in theme park technology by being the first high-format, digitally projected stereoscopic ride film.

Just a few steps away from Corkscrew Hill awaits "Castle O'Sullivan." Visitors to this enchanting castle meet a young heir and join him for an awesome music and special effects show including rain, thunder and a brilliant rainbow that appears magically over the audience. This show helps guests believe wishes really do come true.

Ireland is teeming with Irish artisans working throughout the hamlet. Practicing a centuries-old tradition of perfection, renowned Waterford Crystal craftsmen demonstrate the creation of richly cut crystal of the most singular beauty and sparkle. Visitors strolling into the Emerald Isle Shop find fine gifts of Waterford Crystal, Belleek china, Irish textiles and many other Irish handcrafted products selected especially for Busch Gardens Williamsburg. Enchanting gifts for guests of all ages are available at Toys of the Leprechaun Shop and Pot o' Gold Magic Shop.

Traditional Irish food is found at Grogan's Grille and Grogan's Pub, where genuine Irish hospitality is served up daily. A strolling balladeer and musicians create a cheerful dining experience while encouraging a rousing sing-a-long. Guests savor traditional favorites like corned beef sandwiches, Irish stew, smashed potatoes and soda bread, plus a variety of Anheuser-Busch beers.

EDIT: Celtic Fyre debuted in 2009 so EB ended in 2008

Thanks Doc! I think we can learn a lot about the park from the Way Back Machine! I updated the dates for Irish Thunder to 2001-2005 per your information.

Reactions: Julia and b.mac

And not to steal Doc's [Irish] thunder, but to provide a print source AWA internet documentation = my park map library confirms the IT switchover to EB dates.

Reactions: Julia and Zachary
I just recently found these old concept art drawings for Irish Thunder/The Abbey Stone Theatre. I really love Celtic Fyre about as much as one could, but when the sad,yet imminent last show comes, I hope the park stops to think. They need to look at how mystical Ireland once was. I think these photos capture the essence of the old Ireland very well. Enjoy! :)

Attachments

• House Left Wall.jpg
    House Left Wall.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 68
  • House Right Wall.jpg
    House Right Wall.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 52
  • Lobby.jpg
    Lobby.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 57
  • Lanterns.jpg
    Lanterns.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 53
  • PROSCENIUM AND SHOW CURTAIN.jpg
    PROSCENIUM AND SHOW CURTAIN.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 49
  • Lightning Opening Number.jpg
    Lightning Opening Number.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 52
  • Celtic Scrim.jpg
    Celtic Scrim.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 49
  • Diamond Traveler.jpg
    Diamond Traveler.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 48
  • Projector Setting.jpg
    Projector Setting.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 54
From The Virginia Gazette:
Irish dancers bid fans fond farewell
By Steve Vaughan
Modified: Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Originally Published:
Wednesday, July 21, 2010 8:11 AM EDT

WILLIAMSBURG — An Irish dance troupe that packed in crowds at Busch Gardens for years will say goodbye to its fans at the Kimball Theatre instead of the theme park.

It’s a belated goodbye for Seamus O’Shea, managing director of the O’Shea Irish Dance Co. The troupe was denied a farewell performance when its show was yanked.

The O’Shea company performed two Irish dance reviews at Busch Gardens. Both shows were very popular with park patrons.

But, said Busch Gardens spokesman Kevin Crossett, so is the new show, “Celtic Fyre.”

Crossett said there was no ill-will. “It was a wonderful run of nine years,” he said. “We were just looking to explore a new and different entertainment option for our guests.”

The issue is touchy. Colonial Williamsburg is not sponsoring the O’Shea performance at the Kimball. “The company was looking for a venue, and they rented out the Kimball just as anyone else could,” a spokesman said. “We, of course, value our partnership with Busch Gardens.”

Denials of ill-will are blarney. After Busch Gardens was queried by the Gazette for this article, a lawyer for Busch Entertainment in St. Louis contacted O’Shea and told him that he could not use any of the corporation’s intellectual property, such as the names of the shows the troupe appeared in at Busch Gardens, because that would cause “confusion” about who was presenting the show.

The O’Shea Co. first appeared in the area in 1998 by capitalizing on the rave success of “Riverdance.” That became a full- time show in 2001.

O’Shea said the performance at the Kimball, “Celtic Revolution,” “hopes to re-create some of the magic which brought people to the park in such numbers.” It features the dance company, singers Brittany Woodrow and Kyle Kennedy, and the Three Irish Tenors.

Want to go? Tickets for performances, Friday-Sunday, July 23-25, are $25 and available at the Kimball box office.

[split] Emerald Beat (2006 to 2009)

bgireland1__large.jpg

I really hope this is Emerald Beat and not Irish Thunder. If anyone knows for sure, let me know. I'm awful at differentiating between the two.

I remember seeing this show when I was 8 years old in 2002 when Ireland was just a year old. Irish Thunder was quite a stunning show to the point where I would love to see a show where it shows us the mythical side of Ireland again.

Reactions: Merboy and jornor
VAman93 said:
I remember seeing this show when I was 8 years old in 2002 when Ireland was just a year old. Irish Thunder was quite a stunning show to the point where I would love to see a show where it shows us the mythical side of Ireland again.

The same and of someone who is in connection with his Irish Heritage the mystical history of Ireland outside of our Independence is the proudest part of my heritage to me.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad