Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

Ice

Coffee is for Closers
Silver Donor
Jan 5, 2018
DC Area
Feel free to relocate this if there's already a thread related.

I feel like recently media coverage of the amusement industry has gotten extremely destructive. I know it has always been an issue, but maybe something to do with the Orlando incident has media organizations posting disgusting fear mongering articles in larger quantities and it is starting to cause major issues where there are none.

This article popped up in my feed today with the following thumbnail:
Screenshot_20220503-141212.png

Looking at what actually occurred for a SECOND shows there is no real issue, since the lift hill functioned as a block zone as it should with another train back in the station in another block zone. Safety systems functioning as designed. But people see these sort of articles and assume large roller coasters at well known and well run parks are inherently unsafe, scared of the very thing that keeps them safe. It is gross clickbaiting, and media organizations like this should be ashamed. Honestly, parks should really start trying to clamp down on these misleading articles that spread the false fear. Hersheypark should not have to make statements to the public that it was a normal safety stop just because people are fear mongering.

Rant over.

Last edited:
In other exciting news, Flying Cobras at Carowinds got stuck on one of the spikes:
I like how the article clearly states that the guests were given an estimated time of 35 to 45 minutes to be unloaded. The parks spokesperson said it actually took less than 30 minutes, but they choose to go with the 45 minutes figure instead.

IMO, this is when click bait goes WAY too far and someone needs to be made an example of. Kinda feel like insidethemagic.net should be after USA Today Top 10 as far as sham websites go.

IMO, this is when click bait goes WAY too far and someone needs to be made an example of. Kinda feel like insidethemagic.net should be after USA Today Top 10 as far as sham websites go.
I have my own reasons outside of the clickbait thing to hate insidethemagic.net but it’s getting out of hand.

Reactions: ControlsEE
I have taken screenshots of the article if you would like to read it without giving the site clicks... I also included the comments for your entertainment... aka, we aren't the only ones

Screenshot_20220503-145845_Brave.jpg Screenshot_20220503-145856_Brave.jpg Screenshot_20220503-145911_Brave.jpg Screenshot_20220503-145920_Brave.jpg Screenshot_20220503-145930_Brave.jpg Screenshot_20220503-145939_Brave.jpg Screenshot_20220503-145947_Brave.jpg Screenshot_20220503-150017_Brave.jpg Screenshot_20220503-150024_Brave.jpg Screenshot_20220503-150031_Brave.jpg

Mods, remove if this violates some rule, but I promise my intentions are not malicious

Last edited by a moderator:
Is any of this actually new? My impression is of hearing about e-stops on SFA coasters for years, and of local news “covering” issues at both Virginia parks consistently, as well. Moreover, I would consider the Blackfish ”documentary“ to be much worse than any of these other examples, and that happened years ago.

I would also be careful in attributing intent. While I’m sure some of it is cynical clickbait, based on our experiences dealing with local media, I think a lot of the reporting is legitimately the result of ignorance. If you don’t know much about parks and the industry, things like e-stops can seem much more dangerous than if you understand the engineering and what constitutes normal operations.

ng with local media, I think a lot of the reporting is legitimately the result of ignorance.
I think it’s that and they are relying on quotes from people who don’t know better. I feel like those articles get dominated by the riders and people in line who tend to embellish ride events.

Reactions: Zachary and Nicole
Consider Donating to Hide This Ad