Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!
Nov 24, 2009
So last night at the park the music was horrible.....I dont need to go to BGW to listen to a song that sings about "Double Ds". It truely felt like a local carnival last night with so many diffrent songs playing around the park. Another issue last night was the volume level. We ate at Marco Polos and mid song on every song it sounded like someone would trn the volume way up then a minute or so later way back down. We noticed this in germany as well.

While I don't mind some pop, especially in the summer as it kinda works for the theme, it should be appropriate and upbeat. I honestly don't think many people would be upset if the classic hamlet music played all day and night.

As I recall from long ago, they played classic hamlet music all day and night for a few decades. It was great.

Of course, they also stayed open until 10pm on midsummer weekdays and midnight on weekends. That could come back too, if I'm making a wish list...

Crap music, and a tent set up selling CDs with a hand written sign like some street vendor as you enter the park. can we please have back the old BGW?

BGW has always allowed visiting acts to sell their own Merchandise. This hasn't changed.

Also just because you think something is crap music doesn't mean that others do. I don't particularly care for it but it's the music that is most popular today. It's also only played in the evening during Summer Nights. It's been that way since the beginning of Summer Nights. Does anyone complain that they change the music for Christmas Town or HOS to better fit the event's theme? No they complain that they don't like a particular song BGW picked and they would prefer this song. But I've never heard people complain that the music is completely different.

Personally I agree with @The Quist. I'm not thrilled by some of the songs they chose and wish they would have picked some different songs but the music they are playing ties into the summer nights theme.

Ok, guess I should clarify. When I say crap music I mean for the theming of the park. What they are playing I probably wouldnt mind at water country and is what you hear at the beach and local radio stations. I just dont expect to hear about Double Ds when walking past Pompeii. And as far a merch for artists. I remember seeing t shirts and such sold at the concerts right by the skyride. But to have the tent right at the park entrance by the Globe was to me out of place. We honestly thought it was something the park was doing, offering or giving away until we got close and saw the paper sign with $20 on it next to a stack of CDs. I also dont remember it being at the volume that it is now. I know they have added a ton of speakers around the park and the bass at the Festhouse was thumpin.

Well if they were talking about double D's they probably were referring to the first drop on Pompeii where the front rows feet get wet when you hit the river and then the second drop at the end. Oh wait...

Carry me Back to Old Virginia was playing at the Virginia food and wine booth today. WTF the song in consider to be extremely racist and pro slavery how in the heck does someone not see this as inappropriate in this day and age?

Carry me Back to Old Virginia was playing at the Virginia food and wine booth today. WTF the song in consider to be extremely racist and pro slavery how in the heck does someone not see this as inappropriate in this day and age?

Was it an edited version with updated lyrics or was it something like the old VA state song version?

If it's still in the song rotation, I'd love a video recording of it playing if someone hears it. Feel free to send it over privately if you don't want to be associated with the likely controversy that would ensue.

Regardless of what version they're playing, it is certainly something they'd do well to avoid at all costs if you ask me. That said, that context could determine whether this is a "yikes" or a "WTF, BIG YIKES" situation.

Random question to someone who might now this:
Was the song rewritten by the artist or someone else?

Not justifying it being used or anything but I’m genuinely curious. I love Carol King’s Where You Lead (actually going to be the song for my mother-son dance at my wedding). I shared that with the wedding planner and she said some DJs won’t play it because of the anti-feminist message of the first one (about a wife who just obeys her husband) despite King herself re-recording it with her daughter and changing it to a healthy parent-child love song.

Now I’m not familiar with this song at all, but should they not play it because of the original version of the song being what it is or because even updated it’s still not appropriate?

Edit : I have a follow up question. This makes better in person back and forth but I want to see a response or two before my follow up question.

Was it an edited version with updated lyrics or was it something like the old VA state song version?

If it's still in the song rotation, I'd love a video recording of it playing if someone hears it. Feel free to send it over privately if you don't want to be associated with the likely controversy that would ensue.

Regardless of what version they're playing, it is certainly something they'd do well to avoid at all costs if you ask me. That said, that context could determine whether this is a "yikes" or a "WTF, BIG YIKES"
It appeared to be a cut down version of the old state song. I didn't hear the worst part of the lyrics but it definitely appeared the old song. In all fairness I was in such shock that it registered more as disbelief at first.
Random question to someone who might now this:
Was the song rewritten by the artist or someone else?

Not justifying it being used or anything but I’m genuinely curious. I love Carol King’s Where You Lead (actually going to be the song for my mother-son dance at my wedding). I shared that with the wedding planner and she said some DJs won’t play it because of the anti-feminist message of the first one (about a wife who just obeys her husband) despite King herself re-recording it with her daughter and changing it to a healthy parent-child love song.

Now I’m not familiar with this song at all, but should they not play it because of the original version of the song being what it is or because even updated it’s still not appropriate?

Edit : I have a follow up question. This makes better in person back and forth but I want to see a response or two before my follow up question.
The song was originally written in the 1870s.

It appeared to be a cut down version of the old state song. I didn't hear the worst part of the lyrics but it definitely appeared the old song. In all fairness I was in such shock that it registered more as disbelief at first.

The song was originally written in the 1870s.
What if they did instrumental only? (that’s my follow up FWIW)

What if they did instrumental only? (that’s my follow up FWIW)
I personally hold in line with the views of former Governor Wilder which I will paraphrase here. "The song is so linked to returning to a time and events from our past that should never have been allowed to happen and the memory of those events still actively hurts a large segment of our population that can not be modified in such away as to be saved and should be left in history"

Interesting note, a quick search for lyrics (since I'm not familiar with the tune) showed Ray Charles recorded a version of it.

Based on those lyrics taken at face value, it doesn't seem to implicate anything to do with slavery or racial inequality.

Of course, when reading into it past face value, it's not hard to draw different conclusions.

Interesting note, a quick search for lyrics (since I'm not familiar with the tune) showed Ray Charles recorded a version of it.

Based on those lyrics taken at face value, it doesn't seem to implicate anything to do with slavery or racial inequality.

Of course, when reading into it past face value, it's not hard to draw different conclusions.
I always find these conversation interesting. Kinda like the backlash to “Baby it’s cold”. Is it really that bad of a song or is it problematic or is it just a sign of the times?

I’m so fascinated because you hear backlash to a song like that where it was a different context because of the times with the juxtaposition of WAP and Anaconda being on the radio frequently. There’s song vulgar enough that only about 1/2 the lyrics end up on the radio that I’ve seen people dance to while throwing a fit over Baby it’s Cold.

And I know it’s not an apples to apples but just to put into perspective some of my mindset.

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad