Register or Login to Hide This Ad for Free!

Zimmy

Nessie is lonely.
Silver Donor
Sep 28, 2013
Virginia Beach
If you have been to KD in the past 3 years you may have noticed the ever increasing population of trash receptacles.  Trash can convenience is has clearly become a major goal for the park and I commend them!  Because of an ever increasing trashcan density I know, I can always find one when I need it and that is frankly fantastic!  
This year people have asked if the park has replaced any more asphalt, the answer is, "no," and I have a theory why.  I believe the park has decided to stop installing pavers and concrete and just use trashcans as walkway ground-cover!

This drive to peak trashcan density has give us, the park goer a brilliant opportunity for a couple of games that will be fun for the whole family!

The basic rules for both games are the same.
1.  All counting must be done from ground level.  No towers, second stories, and/ or stilts.
2.  You can only use the eyeballs that your genetics gave you and the prescription that your ophthalmologist  or optometrist issued you (lasik modifications are fine, but no cybernetic implants please).  Please do not cheat with zoom or tel-photo lenses, binoculars, telescopes, or even satellite imagery.  Without question the use of internet aids, Google or otherwise is verboten.
3.  Please pick a spot that is repeatable and describable.  "On international Street," is right out.  Be descriptive, "in front of the mushrooms half way to Dodgem, to the left of the planter and facing the swings."
4.  You must be outside and in a fairly open area, not behind a wall or in an alcove.
5.  This is the internet so pics or it did not happen!
6. For these 2 games Coke and other recycling bins are not included.

Game 1 - Less then 8?
Can you find less then 8 cans in any 360 degree viewable area.  Follow the rules above. See if you can fine a spot that is generally in the open but also where the park has neglected to supply the necessary 8 cans.  I suspect there may be a path or 2 where this is the case.  I just have not found them!

Game 2 - Count Em Up!
What spot in park can you find where you can spot the most cans.  This weekend, without much effort Zach found over 20 in one spot.  That seems to be a good place to start!

Post your findings here!

RE: I spy trashcans! (The Game(s))

Negative. The coke bins do not count. Counting Coke bins will be an expansion pack later! I am still formulating the details.

RE: I spy trashcans! (The Game(s))

I actually broke 20 last weekend. I think my record is up to 24 now. I neglected to record a specific location though. I'll update everyone when I work it out again.

Reactions: Luke
When will a PC version come out... as you all know PC versions are vastly superior. ;-D

I counted 34. Do I win?

IMG_20150408_143454_545.jpg

IMG_20150408_143552_665.jpg

IMG_20150408_143442_448.jpg

IMG_20150408_143436_837.jpg

IMG_20150408_143543_797.jpg

IMG_20150408_143538_755.jpg

IMG_20150408_143514_501.jpg

IMG_20150408_143503_523.jpg

Some stupid people got in my shot, but count 'em up! I dare you! There are at least 34 trash cans in this area, which is just between Victoria's outside patio and the nearest door.

It's funny, this game really opened my eyes to just how many damn trash cans trash cans in the park. It's as if they have minds of their own and are reproducing rapidly to take over the park, and eventually the world. At one point, I could point out nine different trash cans within a twenty foot radius near the ivy tunnel in Old Virginia. Nine. In twenty feet. Do people really need that many options for places to dump their litter? The only logical explanation is that these trash cans are part of an elaborate conspiracy to overtake humanity.

I literally searched the entire park, and I could only find one spot to fulfill the "Less Than 8" challenge. And frankly, I'm not even sure if this counts since it's in a dead end. It's the deserted plaza by Ricochet and Hurler's entrances.
IMG_20150408_144951_971.jpg

IMG_20150408_144953_932.jpg

IMG_20150408_144959_063.jpg

IMG_20150408_144946_921.jpg

IMG_20150408_144949_166.jpg

IMG_20150408_144956_556.jpg

I have to say, I think my favorite thing about KD's trash cans is their variety. I love how you can look out onto a path and see all the different types of trash cans known to man, all in one place! You have your rectangular black trash cans, you have your round gray trash cans, your aggregate trash cans, your metal trash cans, many of which you can see without even moving! How convenient!

As a final bit of advice, I say we start preparing and brace ourselves for the day the trash cans finally strike.

I think there should be bonus points for anyone who can capture a photo of trash on the ground in sight of at least eight trash cans.

Seriously, it was my impression last weekend that here were significantly more recycling bins and trash cans around the park. I guess it is commendable that they are trying this hard to keep KD clean.

I thought I had read something somewhere about trash can policies and theme parks (I read weird things) and after a quick google search I found out that this method is really popular at Disney Parks.

Most trash cans are no more that 30 steps apart. Walt came up with this calculation when first designing Disneyland. We observed guests in other parks and averaged out how many steps a person would take with trash in their hand before dropping it.

Quote is from herebut I found the same basic info on various Disney fan sites.

Also, I can't believe my 300th post was about trash cans.....

John,
I think for the purposes of the game they need to be trash cans the average visitor can use.

That being said, bonus points for the find.

Joe said:
I counted 34. Do I win?

Some stupid people got in my shot, but count 'em up! I dare you! There are at least 34 trash cans in this area, which is just between Victoria's outside patio and the nearest door.

It's funny, this game really opened my eyes to just how many damn trash cans trash cans in the park. It's as if they have minds of their own and are reproducing rapidly to take over the park, and eventually the world. At one point, I could point out nine different trash cans within a twenty foot radius near the ivy tunnel in Old Virginia. Nine. In twenty feet. Do people really need that many options for places to dump their litter? The only logical explanation is that these trash cans are part of an elaborate conspiracy to overtake humanity.

I literally searched the entire park, and I could only find one spot to fulfill the "Less Than 8" challenge. And frankly, I'm not even sure if this counts since it's in a dead end. It's the deserted plaza by Ricochet and Hurler's entrances.

I have to say, I think my favorite thing about KD's trash cans is their variety. I love how you can look out onto a path and see all the different types of trash cans known to man, all in one place! You have your rectangular black trash cans, you have your round gray trash cans, your aggregate trash cans, your metal trash cans, many of which you can see without even moving! How convenient!

As a final bit of advice, I say we start preparing and brace ourselves for the day the trash cans finally strike.

I can not wait to get to a computer where I can see these images. Great job Joe!

Consider Donating to Hide This Ad