Login or Register to Hide This Ad

Jonesta6

Glumble
Feb 14, 2019
Maybe belongs in a general woody thread, but only Gwazi and Mean Streak were straight-up brain rattling to me but I still enjoyed them for what they were.

I love the RMC treatments I've ridden so far, but between them and the steel support wood topped rides like InVadr (still a hybrid, not a true woody), I feel like it's becoming increasingly rare to be able to ride true woodies anymore.

Not saying I wish they only retracked Hurler and didn't convert it to TT (again, really enjoy the RMC treatment), but I would hope they could build another true woody.

Apr 22, 2019
Adding a new wooden coaster would be amazing. I'd like that more than pretty much any other option, but I know it will never happen. Though I'd consider steel supports with wooden track to be a wooden coaster. Not a pure wooden coaster, but still wooden - the track is what matters here. Coney Island (Luna Park) Cyclone is a wooden coaster. Or at the very least it's certainly much more a wooden coaster than an RMC hybrid.

Jonesta6

Glumble
Feb 14, 2019
Potato potahto sort of thing, but the thing about steel supports is that they inherently don't have the same give and sway that wood does; they're generally fairly rigid by design. While the track can still have some play by being wood, you're still going to have a fairly smooth ride (looking at you InVadr - still fun for what it is).

While those of us who are not materials experts could go learn more as to why this is the case and why it'd likely be a bad thing if both had the same flexibility properties, ultimately I think it's a matter of preference.

I believe it was ElToroRyan that mentioned it in a video somewhere where a lot of folks whom ride steel coasters got used to the smoothness, and generally prefer that smoothness to be applied to woodies as well. Can't argue with that, nor can I say making wooden coasters smoother is a bad thing if it means parks profit from their decision.

But to me, a mostly smooth woody misses the point.

Apr 22, 2019
Potato potahto sort of thing, but the thing about steel supports is that they inherently don't have the same give and sway that wood does; they're generally fairly rigid by design. While the track can still have some play by being wood, you're still going to have a fairly smooth ride (looking at you InVadr - still fun for what it is).

While those of us who are not materials experts could go learn more as to why this is the case and why it'd likely be a bad thing if both had the same flexibility properties, ultimately I think it's a matter of preference.

I believe it was ElToroRyan that mentioned it in a video somewhere where a lot of folks whom ride steel coasters got used to the smoothness, and generally prefer that smoothness to be applied to woodies as well. Can't argue with that, nor can I say making wooden coasters smoother is a bad thing if it means parks profit from their decision.

But to me, a mostly smooth woody misses the point.

Yeah, wooden coasters should be bumpy. That makes them feel out of control. And I love Grizzly, so....

I don't really disagree with you, but this type of "hybrid" is closer to a traditional wooden coaster.

Reactions: Jonesta6
Mar 18, 2017
The largest wood-on-steel coaster I've ridden is Great White at Morey's. I thought it had a hardness to the ride that all-wood coasters lack. The largest steel-on-wood coaster I've ridden is Gemini, which was very smooth for its age. So I can't really agree that an all-wood coaster is rougher, until the structure starts decomposing. When I first rode Lightning Racer in 2011, one thing I really liked was it was the newest wood coaster I'd ridden in clear memory. Not only was it smooth, I felt honored or something to ride such a new woodie.

There's good reason a wood on steel coaster rides much the same as other woodies: usually they have steel wheels which ride on a steel strip (made possible by the wood). This has less friction than rubber wheels and the coaster seems to just keep going, and a smaller coaster can still be quite long (The few woodies with rubber wheels tend to be large enough to have good reasons for them, and more power to absorb the difference).

Reactions: Jonesta6
Mar 16, 2016
Richmond, VA
This may not be the right place to ask, but does anyone know if they're still selling Hurler pieces at the gift shop outside of TT? If so, would someone consider picking one up for me? Happy to pre-pay and cover shipping if your not in the Richmond area. We dropped our KD passes at the end of the 2019 season and don't anticipate renewing them in the foreseeable future.

I ask because I make rings out of, typically, historicaly interesting items. Not that Hurler necessarily falls into that category, but I thought it would be a neat, inexpensive project.

Reactions: halfabee
Oct 7, 2011
Not sure if this is allowed - I vaguely recall some discussion on the propriety of sharing personal commercial-interest links - but do you sell them? And/or have a site or channel or insta or …?

Nibbins

Resident Rat
Sep 3, 2019
VA Beach
This may not be the right place to ask, but does anyone know if they're still selling Hurler pieces at the gift shop outside of TT? If so, would someone consider picking one up for me? Happy to pre-pay and cover shipping if your not in the Richmond area. We dropped our KD passes at the end of the 2019 season and don't anticipate renewing them in the foreseeable future.

I ask because I make rings out of, typically, historicaly interesting items. Not that Hurler necessarily falls into that category, but I thought it would be a neat, inexpensive project.
I'll be out there on Sunday. I can take a look.

I have not seen them sell any pieces the last weekends, but I haven't been looking for them either.

Reactions: phurst

Nibbins

Resident Rat
Sep 3, 2019
VA Beach
I stopped by the gift shop yesterday and looked around for you.

Unfortunately I did not find any Hurler pieces for sale in there.

Reactions: phurst
Login or Register to Hide This Ad