Hurler is Closed

Login or Register to Hide This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe

#RIPVolcano
Feb 12, 2011
4,981
13,750
113
Near Richmond
BuschDominion.com
If you haven't seen yet, Hurler will be closed for the entire 2016 season. According to the park:

Kings Dominion said:
Hurler is closed for the season while we complete extensive maintenance on the ride. We anticipate the ride will reopen next season.
Here's what we've seen so far:
[instagram=https://www.instagram.com/p/BDLg-hdEQMx/]
[instagram=https://www.instagram.com/p/BDLrAxEhi4k/]

In a full article about the coaster's closure by KDFans, we heard from Communications Manager Katelyn Sherwood that Hurler will get extensive refurbishments that could entail a full retrack.

However, something posted to Instagram today (3/28) thickens the plot...
[instagram=https://www.instagram.com/p/BDgPXqeupJL/]

In the bottom right image, Hurler's station is being taken down...

Hmmm...
 
Nov 5, 2009
958
609
93
RE: Hurler Closed for 2016

I do recall some rain leakage. It does look like an after thought of a station.
 
Nov 1, 2012
855
1,981
93
RE: Hurler Closed for 2016

Fur Dozy said:
I do recall some rain leakage. It does look like an after thought of a station.
The station was built under the Paramount era of ownership. Most coasters built during that time had a theme to it. Since Hurler was originally part of the "Wayne's World" themed section, the coaster station had an industrial factory/warehouse look with a kewpe doll production line on the exit side of the station (walled side of the station).
 
Jun 3, 2010
226
512
93
Newport News, VA
RE: Hurler Closed for 2016

mwhinva said:
The station was built under the Paramount era of ownership. Most coasters built during that time had a theme to it. Since Hurler was originally part of the "Wayne's World" themed section, the coaster station had an industrial factory/warehouse look with a kewpe doll production line on the exit side of the station (walled side of the station).
To elaborate even more, it was themed to a soundstage of the kewpie doll factory set. The whole area was kind of a weird mish-mash of being "in" Wayne's World: Stan Mikita's, the vehicles, even the manhole covers were for Aurora; and being on the set for Wayne's World: soundstage for Hurler's station, the basement set for you to get your picture taken, etc.
 
  • Like
Reactions: jornor and Joe

Zimmy

Nessie wants you to look into yourself
Sep 28, 2013
5,368
7,776
113
Virginia Beach
RE: Hurler Closed for 2016

the first year they had the Gremlin limo (which you now see during Haunt) and the Gremlin which had run into the curb my Stan Mikita's hitting a fire hydrant complete with water effect.
 

MAZ

Jan 30, 2014
2,495
4,959
113
Richmond
RE: Hurler Closed for 2016

Complete re-theme with complete re-track for the same ol coaster in 2017 would be disappointing indeed.
 

Zimmy

Nessie wants you to look into yourself
Sep 28, 2013
5,368
7,776
113
Virginia Beach
RE: Hurler Closed for 2016

you did not expect to get a whole new ride did you? This isn't King's Island!
 
  • Like
Reactions: jornor
Feb 9, 2013
4,650
6,466
113
RE: Hurler Closed for 2016

I don't actively dislike Hurler, but I do find it uninteresting, and it definitely isn't original. I don't think, even if it was smooth, that I would prefer it to it's next door neighbor, Ricochet. (which is also pretty mediocre (unless your into that sort of ride)) I just feel like investing a large amount to just retrack the thing is a waste of money. Besides, there are a lot of other, better rides in the park that deserve an investment like that for renovations way more.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Zachary

Zimmy

Nessie wants you to look into yourself
Sep 28, 2013
5,368
7,776
113
Virginia Beach
RE: Hurler Closed for 2016

Pretzel Kaiser said:
I might be laying into the ride a bit harshly, but Grizzy fills the niche that Hurler also occupies just fine and the park desperately needs a new coaster.
What does one have to do with the other? Removal of Hurler will not magically trigger the construction of a new coaster, nor will its re-furb. Maybe I misunderstand, but the two are hardly mutually exclusive.

I expect the lack of a new coaster has more to do with CP shifting focus away from KD and to Caro and less to do with its current collection.
—————————————
Matthew said:
I don't actively dislike Hurler, but I do find it uninteresting, and it definitely isn't original. I don't think, even if it was smooth, that I would prefer it to it's next door neighbor, Ricochet. (which is also pretty mediocre (unless your into that sort of ride)) I just feel like investing a large amount to just retrack the thing is a waste of money. Besides, there are a lot of other, better rides in the park that deserve an investment like that for renovations way more.
I suspect reno cycle has less to do with "deserve," and more to do with need. Most of the coasters at KD are not one offs, that does not mean they should be preserved.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Login or Register to Hide This Ad